Old 12 October 2016, 04:41   #11

Make: Northcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki V4 100
Thanks for your help guys, went for a Hummibbird Helix 5 xd
Cheap and cheerful, does the job but find it a bit hard to use, would be handy to select start and end point and let the unit suggest a route? Also can't use it when not on the rib, nor can I get the Navionics/Humminbird to work on the PC!! Well I have it now and will have to live with it, maybe need a little more time to sus it out...

Old 14 October 2016, 16:18   #12

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordburg2001 View Post
It's an old Northcraft 5.8 with an equally old Suzuki V4 100
Tried to post a picture but can't seem to manage it from my phone, doubt very much that anything will communicate to it unless it's in morse code!!
Never say never. My clamshell tells my plotter how hot it is and what pressure the cooling water is.

Lowrance sensors. They also do things like fuel flow

Old 14 October 2016, 16:25   #13

Wow! I'm old school, still work in binary and dot matrix!!!��
It may take me a while to get used to it, I just reckoned that a 380 unit before maps would be better than a 20 app.

But it appears so far that I'm wrong, maybe somebody in here can help?
Old 14 October 2016, 16:37   #14

Town: global
Boat name: VSR
Quote:
Wow! I'm old school, still work in binary and dot matrix!!!��
It may take me a while to get used to it, I just reckoned that a 380 unit before maps would be better than a 20 app.

But it appears so far that I'm wrong, maybe somebody in here can help?
Just out of curiosity, why did you go for the Hummingbird over the Simrad GO7 XSE TotalScan 7" Multi-Touch Chartplotter for 400? Was there something you found that was better in the Hummingbird? Were there any others you also found better?
Old 14 October 2016, 16:51   #15

Ummm!!! It was the only one in the shop and I intend to use it during the winter. Gloves would be a no no with the totalscan. I won't try and defend the Humminbird, maybe I should have done more research, so far I'm not impressed and it makes me want to smash it, set it on fire and jump on it some more! I certainly wouldn't recommend it as a first chart plotter. The Navionics app. For the iPhoneat 20 is much better than the 480 Humminbird with maps! In fact the app. Includes all of the U.K. and Ireland whereas the Humminbird with Navionics maps only includ Portrush to Dundalk and Lough Neagh!!! Really not impressed TBH...
The app. Let's you pick start and finish waypoints and selects the safest route but the Humminbird is just a Bo@#%*^ks to work! Wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy.
Old 14 October 2016, 17:17   #16

Town: global
Boat name: VSR
Quote:
Ummm!!! It was the only one in the shop and I intend to use it during the winter. Gloves would be a no no with the totalscan. I won't try and defend the Humminbird, maybe I should have done more research, so far I'm not impressed and it makes me want to smash it, set it on fire and jump on it some more! I certainly wouldn't recommend it as a first chart plotter. The Navionics app. For the iPhoneat 20 is much better than the 480 Humminbird with maps! In fact the app. Includes all of the U.K. and Ireland whereas the Humminbird with Navionics maps only includ Portrush to Dundalk and Lough Neagh!!! Really not impressed TBH...
The app. Let's you pick start and finish waypoints and selects the safest route but the Humminbird is just a Bo@#%*^ks to work! Wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy.
Ok.

You do know there's quite a few gloves made to be used with touch screens. Sounds like you really need to return the Hummingbird, something wrong/hated that badly should not be kept . By the way, the Simard includes/comes with Uk maps.

A lot people also like Lowrance.

Good luck
Old 14 October 2016, 17:23   #17

Too late now, more haste less speed and all that! It will do what I need for now, please don't rub salt into my wounds. I did ask the question, but unfortunately we don't have the same opportunity to test or ask the questions that you guys can on the Mainland! I had no real choice on the matter, but believe me when it comes to an upgrade I will know what I want before I buy