Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPR View Post
to clarify :

2) non-dsc sets : you don't have an MMSI number to transmit so you can't send it!
But you should / may have a callsign depending on if your on fixed set (should have one!) or a handheld.

Or am I being pedantic( a pain in the backside?)

If in doubt just call someone with something useful........

Old 10 December 2011, 04:12   #52

Town: Chorley / Holyhead
Boat name: Northwind Challenger
Make: Tornado
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner 115 efi CT
MMSI: 235080598
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Festinghouse
from what i remember, you hit the distress button first then you broadcast infomation (for the people without dsc) in order of priority - name, position, distress and number of people on board. they can ask for the rest if they want to in their reply - having read call sign and mmsi out twice you could have drifted 3miles!
i have my call sign and mmsi on my console but i think in a heavy rolling sea and say no engine, i would have trouble reading it without making a mistake! dsc does all that for you in less than a second, and switches other radios onto ch16 at the same time so everyone can hear your broadcast.

Member of S.A.B.S. (Lancashire Division)
Festinghouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2011, 04:24   #53

Town: Chorley / Holyhead
Boat name: Northwind Challenger
Make: Tornado
Engine: Mariner 115 efi CT
MMSI: 235080598
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Festinghouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryC View Post
At the end of the incident the Coastguard told us that a Mayday call would have been better because if they don't pick up the call (this was non DSC) then there is a good chance that another boat would have heard us and passed on the info to the coastguard. They also said that if the call turns out to not really warant a Mayday then THEY will downgrade it accordingly. My take on that was if in doubt, send a Mayday.

I know that in the UK, a lot of folk are fearful of the Coastguard. We had a trip around the Coastguard place at Bridlington and it was a very good experience. Their mindset was that they do want to hear from us. If it is a true incident and you are in doubt about a Mayday then a Mayday is probably the right thing to do.

Gary
i agree, the coastguard are great and really helpful. i speak to them a fair bit and have helped them out twice - the first time we helped look for a boat that had triggered a dsc distress call (turned out to be a false alarm) but they insisted we call them when we returned to shore, which i did and they went to great lengths thanking us for helping out. ive also heard them dealing with people who have sent mayday calls which they have later downgraded - they are quite happy to do this and the caller didnt get a bollocking or anything - they are just glad to be told of any problem in its earliest stages.

Member of S.A.B.S. (Lancashire Division)
Festinghouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2011, 05:51   #54

Town: Oban (mostly)
Make: Ribcraft, Humber,BWM
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboards
Send a message via Skype™ to SeaSkills
Quote:
Originally Posted by Festinghouse View Post
- having read call sign and mmsi out twice you could have drifted 3miles!
Good - exageration for comic effect. We've been missing that lately. I reckon it takes about half a minute to make a proper Mayday call including all the information. Even if it took twice that long, your rate of drift would be 180 knots. (unless of course your location was "just gone over the waterfall")

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festinghouse View Post
i have my call sign and mmsi on my console but i think in a heavy rolling sea and say no engine, i would have trouble reading it without making a mistake! dsc does all that for you in less than a second, and switches other radios onto ch16 at the same time so everyone can hear your broadcast.
Not quite. DSC includes your MMSI but not your callsign, and won't switch other radios onto Ch16. It's still important for us to keep a listening watch on Ch16 (even if it's on dual watch

The SRC course spends a disproportionate amount of time on the Distress call so that it becomes memorised as much as possible. Ideally, the card is there as a reminder rather than a script. I advise my trainees to remind themselves of the procedure periodically - from time to time just run over it in their head ...... if something happened to me here, what would the Mayday call be? (I still do it myself, and I still make the odd mistake - but I put that down to age these days)
Tel; 07525 012 013
SeaSkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2011, 06:42   #55

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSkills View Post
Not quite. DSC includes your MMSI but not your callsign,
It should have boat name or registration number; well, it does here in the US. I thought that was the point of MMSI: to get boat and owner info (and some inferred info such as regularly visited area) from a single piece of data?

jky
Old 11 December 2011, 06:54   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
It should have boat name or registration number; well, it does here in the US. I thought that was the point of MMSI: to get boat and owner info (and some inferred info such as regularly visited area) from a single piece of data?

jky
For us, every DSC call contains the following information:

•the identity of the calling station;
• the priority of the call - DISTRESS, URGENT, SAFETY or ROUTINE;
•the station(s) being called (a specific station or ALL stations); and
•the channel on which subsequent communications are to be carried out by radiotelephone (apart from distress calls, which always default to channel 16).

If the set is linked to a functionning GPS, it also includes position information and time

There are ways for us to link that to other means of getting additional information about the boat, owner etc (MMARS database, or the CG66 records) but nothing that is very efficient. In a distress situation, it is the voice part of the call that pulls everything together. The better it is, the easier it becomes for the SAR teams.
Tel; 07525 012 013
Old 11 December 2011, 07:44   #57

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Darwin
Make: Ribeye
Engine: 150hp Yamaha
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSkills View Post

The SRC course spends a disproportionate amount of time on the Distress call so that it becomes memorised as much as possible. Ideally, the card is there as a reminder rather than a script. I advise my trainees to remind themselves of the procedure periodically - from time to time just run over it in their head ...... if something happened to me here, what would the Mayday call be? (I still do it myself, and I still make the odd mistake - but I put that down to age these days)
I totally agree with you,. I an in fact going to run half day refresher courses so people can keep up to speed if they want to.
Old 11 December 2011, 07:44   #58

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
Quote:
Not quite. DSC includes your MMSI but not your callsign, and won't switch other radios onto Ch16. It's still important for us to keep a listening watch on Ch16 (even if it's on dual watch
a dsc distress alert will switch other dsc radios within range from a working channel to ch16 and sound an alarm provided they are not transmitting at the time. If it does not get them because of that it will do on the 4 minute repeat transmission unless its been cancelled. The ability to switch other radios to ch16 is the big bonus around this neck of the woods cos all the local angling boats use ch8 like a CB and never see ch16. However they all have lotsa electronics (boys and their toys) including dsc radio. Calling them on 16 is a waste of time and has caused loadsa problems in the past especially when they were night fishing as ch8 is not a cg used channel. Thats why I used to get called at *!*! o clock in the morning to sort jobs out. However now the common fisheries policy has murdered all our fish we don't have that problem-or fish!
Old 11 December 2011, 10:38   #59

And for the nerdiest of nerds who really want those geek points, try here;
www.gmdss.com.au/ITU%20DSC%20tech%20spec.pdf
(I had to plough through this to write a techie article a while back - serious yawnage)
Tel; 07525 012 013
Old 11 December 2011, 14:12   #60
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solent Ranger View Post
I totally agree with you,. I an in fact going to run half day refresher courses so people can keep up to speed if they want to.
It will be interesting to see if you get much sign up. I can't imagine many people would do the standard SRC course if it weren't for one of the following:

- its legally required (everyone on my course had however been using one for several years unlicensed before getting round to it)
- they need it to comply with some other course / requirement (e.g. to take an Advanced course etc).
- they know absolutely nothing about radios and need an initial introduction
- they are an "official certificate collector"

Now if you run an "unofficial" course its not going to tick those boxes. If I were creating an unofficial course it would be focussed around "getting the most from your DSC vhf radio" rather than the distress elements which everyone hopes they will never need; and accepts that in the heat of the moment any reasonable attempt will do. The problem with 'getting the most' from your DSC VHF is that learning how to do it on one brand/model won't necessarily transfer easily to others.