Old 17 December 2011, 08:22   #61

Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Twin 50 Mariners
Just for anyone who wants to have their call sign and MMSI neatly displayed on the console, I found this on ebay - and asked them to put my MMSI number below the callsign instead of a name. Which they were fine with. They also supply the "badge" without a pin on the back so you can just stick it or screw it to the boat. For less than two quid it seemed a neat solution....

AMATEUR RADIO CALLSIGN BADGE | eBay
Old 17 December 2011, 17:41   #62

Town: England
Boat name: n/a
Make: n/a
Length: no boat
Engine: n/a
Any photos of how it turned out? looks like a great idea.
Old 18 December 2011, 21:26   #63

Length: 5m +
Engine: Twin 50 Mariners
Sorry, the boat's down at the storage site and I won't be there in daylight for a while. But it's just as in the picture on the ebay ad, but with the callsign on top and MMSI underneath - ie

1ABC2
MMSI 123456789

The plate is about 3" by 1". I got it in red which seems to sit nicely on an orange console. Originally I just glued it on, then used a couple of self tappers - in retrospect I preferred it glued.

But for £2, why not just get one and see what you think?
Old 19 December 2011, 07:29   #64

Town: Chorley / Holyhead
Boat name: Northwind Challenger
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner 115 efi CT
MMSI: 235080598
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Festinghouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavelength View Post
a dsc distress alert will switch other dsc radios within range from a working channel to ch16 and sound an alarm provided they are not transmitting at the time. If it does not get them because of that it will do on the 4 minute repeat transmission unless its been cancelled. The ability to switch other radios to ch16 is the big bonus around this neck of the woods cos all the local angling boats use ch8 like a CB and never see ch16. However they all have lotsa electronics (boys and their toys) including dsc radio. Calling them on 16 is a waste of time and has caused loadsa problems in the past especially when they were night fishing as ch8 is not a cg used channel. Thats why I used to get called at *!*! o clock in the morning to sort jobs out. However now the common fisheries policy has murdered all our fish we don't have that problem-or fish!
im so glad you said that dave, in that i did my src with you and that was the bit that really impressed me about dsc!
only ever recieved one distress call, but my radio was already on 16.
Old 21 December 2011, 09:00   #65

Town: England
Boat name: n/a
Make: n/a
Length: no boat
Engine: n/a
If anyone want to know what the ebay callsign badges look like here's my one just arrived.

Top quality and fantastic service. Speak to Keith and he'll sort one out with your MMSI and boat name.

Old 25 February 2013, 18:20   #66
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Good info here to get updated Mayday proceedures card done for new boats, made me realise I needed more than one update done.
Old 02 March 2013, 21:39   #67

Town: Top RH corner of Hants
Boat name: Logan
Make: Ribeye
Engine: 115hp Yam
Procedure sheet

I've printed out a copy of the whole procedure with all the relevant numbers and names typed in - so anyone just has to read what's written. Printed in colour, laminated and stuck onto the console, with another copy in the locker for back-up.
Still got the basic file on the computer - if anyone wants it to personalise for their RIB just let me know.
Old 03 March 2013, 06:47   #68

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
I've used these guys to produce a name plate and call sign - eBay My World - ukengraving

and I get this

Should have added the MMSI as well though Best order another, at £5 inc postage it's not the end of the world
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0188.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	77182  

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06 March 2013, 14:55   #69

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
Quote:
Not quite. DSC includes your MMSI but not your callsign, and won't switch other radios onto Ch16. It's still important for us to keep a listening watch on Ch16 (even if it's on dual watch
to prove a point with what is to me the best bit of dsc and the most important, the ability to switch other dsc radios to 16 no matter what channel they were listening on ...
last week working with an offshore installation, dsc distress call switched our dsc radio and all the other vessels working the job off our private vhf channel and onto ch16 in response. Too far away for us to be any assistance and we all switched straight back to the private channel to continue the difficult task in hand with radio comms between the boats. Unfortunately the marine controller on the installation was away at the time for a brew or loo break and missed the call but some kind office wallah who was passing muted the alarm!
When we used the phone to eventually get hold of control he pleaded guilty to having been unwittingly monitoring ch16 for quite a while and that he had been amazed how the boats were managing to co-ordinate the various bits of the task without apparently speaking on the radio.