Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
CG66 to SafeTrx

Anyone get an email from HM Coastguard regards the details they hold about you on CG66 (VHF licence) and the recommendation you move or enter details on RYA and the option of enrolling with their SafeTrx app?

I'm not signing up to the app, but I was interested in sharing details with RYA. Whole process is convoluted and not as simple as they say. You need an RYA membership number, and even although I did a guest login, the only way to get a membership number I assume is to join RYA and pay £45.

Am I being daft or anyone else experienced the nonsense trying to register? Thought Ofcom were bad, but this takes the biscuit!
Old 05 July 2018, 21:25   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
You don’t need a membership number. RYA have been running the app for about a year and it’s apparently such a success MCGA have decided it will replace CG66 (cg66 is not your vhf license).

I’ve not read the privacy notice but the RYA may not actually get your details, the app was actually developed by a third party and just licensed (paid for) by the RYA. The idea is very sensible to me. It was slightly harder to sign up to than I thought it needed to be but then CG66 was pretty awful.
Old 05 July 2018, 21:29   #3
RIBnet admin team

I’ve just checked and the Rya IS the data controller. And membership number is an optional field.
Old 05 July 2018, 21:46   #4

Town: Top RH corner of Hants
Boat name: Logan
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115hp Yam
The thing that gets me about SafeTrx is your trip has to be either training/coaching; diving; or fishing. I’ve done a lot of “training” recently! �� ��
Old 05 July 2018, 21:54   #5

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I’ve just checked and the Rya IS the data controller. And membership number is an optional field.
Sorted, thank you.

Take your point regards CG66 being vessel recognition scheme. Happy for RYA to have my details but not planning to use the app any time soon. See CG won't accept new registrations after July 11 and they'll adopt SafeTrx going forward.
Old 05 July 2018, 22:03   #6
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew2 View Post
The thing that gets me about SafeTrx is your trip has to be either training/coaching; diving; or fishing. I’ve done a lot of “training” recently! �� ��

Yes, it is odd. The type of trip choice varies with the vessel type so clearly ribs are not intended to cruise!
Old 06 July 2018, 09:47   #7

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Anyone get an email from HM Coastguard regards the details they hold about you on CG66 (VHF licence) and the recommendation you move or enter details on RYA and the option of enrolling with their SafeTrx app?

I'm not signing up to the app, but I was interested in sharing details with RYA. Whole process is convoluted and not as simple as they say. You need an RYA membership number, and even although I did a guest login, the only way to get a membership number I assume is to join RYA and pay £45.

Am I being daft or anyone else experienced the nonsense trying to register? Thought Ofcom were bad, but this takes the biscuit!

not had anything from MCA re-CG66 guess it will change when i next contact them so doing nowt as yet
https://www.gov.uk/register-boat-coa...-safety-scheme
how i read this is if your just new and present details stand
Old 06 July 2018, 17:11   #8

Yes the details you would normally add to the CG66 is now on the app with the vessel details (which are detailed). I have been using it for training and I am very impressed with it. It allows a photo of your vessel just like CG66, but the main advantage is you can easily add others vessels you may go on. It also has instant Lat Long readings, so if you have no GPS in your boat, it’s excellentvif you need to give the CG your position.
I like it but it’s justvlike anything, it’s new it’s change and it takes some getting used to. Learn about it, you will grow with it!