Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 29 March 2009, 05:25   #11
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Boat name: Angel-B
Make: Ex Y boat
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki 9.9HP
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by benc View Post
I had a similar camera to the one here setup, but I had it recording to my video camera... which isnt great because its tape based.
What type of tape based recorder? If it is miniDV tape, you are better off staying with it, because the quality will be much better than any of the 'consumer' grade solid state recorders. You need to transfer from the recorder to computer via firewire (iLink on Sony recorders) to maintain the quality though.

Cheers

Chris
__________________

__________________
chris123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2009, 06:02   #12
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123 View Post
What type of tape based recorder? If it is miniDV tape, you are better off staying with it, because the quality will be much better than any of the 'consumer' grade solid state recorders. You need to transfer from the recorder to computer via firewire (iLink on Sony recorders) to maintain the quality though.

Cheers

Chris
Agreed I use a Sony HC30 DV camcorder and it gives superb results and unless you are going to spend 400 on a solid state recorder you wont get better results.

I also have a clever device for switching the camera off and on remotely so it can be stored in a waterproof location in a foam lined box. Then one on and off switch on the dash controls the camera siwthching it on and off into record mode.

However all this requires a bit of rigging and fiddling
__________________

__________________
---------------------------------------------------
Chris Stevens

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2009, 14:20   #13
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
However all this requires a bit of rigging and fiddling
I really really want to avoid this bit of the experience..........
__________________
PeterM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2009, 15:02   #14
Member
 
benc's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: Intrepid
Make: Tornado
Length: 7m +
Engine: Twin 150 Yamaha HPDI
MMSI: 235066402
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,319
Send a message via Skype™ to benc
Maybe I'll just get my camera fixed then... some how it stopped working, get lines all over the screen now!

For the camera mount btw, it was a bit of stainless tube, with a hole and a nut weldled onto it.. welded to a stainless plate... bolted to the aframe. Then, a bolt going through the nut to clamp the camera into the tube... works well
__________________
benc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2009, 15:14   #15
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackroady View Post
I really really want to avoid this bit of the experience..........
Then one of these...

http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/mini-dv...o-recorder.htm

And you can fix the camera to the boat using a suction mount.
__________________
---------------------------------------------------
Chris Stevens

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2009, 07:55   #16
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,551
Am looking at this for the extra 50 - but it & ATC5K seem to run 640 x 480 - this with 25 fps & the ATC5K at 30fps.

Given my total lack of knowledge about these things - isn't 30 better than 25 ? ( based on my theory that anything being sold with referance to numbers - the bigger number the better)

what am I missing ( in simple terms ) ?
__________________
PeterM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2009, 08:38   #17
Member
 
Tony's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: Guernsey
Boat name: Monkey Nutz
Make: Cougar R8 Sport
Length: 8m +
Engine: 350Sci Verado
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackroady View Post
Am looking at this for the extra 50 - but it & ATC5K seem to run 640 x 480 - this with 25 fps & the ATC5K at 30fps.

Given my total lack of knowledge about these things - isn't 30 better than 25 ? ( based on my theory that anything being sold with referance to numbers - the bigger number the better)

what am I missing ( in simple terms ) ?

Everything...
The quality is not good.
Look....
__________________

__________________
Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:13.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.