Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 25 June 2007, 09:33   #11
Member
 
Cookee's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 4,225
We tried the Gecko helmet camera system at the Southampton Boat Show a couple of years ago and it wouldn't play anything after being in the race boat for a few minutes - and that was down Southampton water in fairly calm conditions - it was a hard drive system with padding - it would work ok if stuffed down your lifejacket, but that isn't an option for any length of time really!

Have a look on Amazon they are around 80.00 plus an SD card which are cheap as chips - that way if it gets wet or damaged it's not 300.00 down the drain!
__________________

__________________
Cookee
Originally Posted by Zippy
When a boat looks that good who needs tubes!!!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2007, 14:35   #12
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Boat name: Angel-B
Make: Ex Y boat
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki 9.9HP
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 584
Solid state is best for reliability, however it all depends what you want the footage for. Cheap solid state will be (relatively) low quality, expensive rugged solid state (1600 ish) will be near DVD quality.

MiniDV tape gives superior quality even to the expensive solid state, but is (obviously) much more delicate. It gives the best quality though, and is the media of choice for the BBC etc in action footage.

The footage from the RNLI on BBC's Seaside Rescue is primarily filmed on miniDV tape using recorders with remote mics and cameras. Recorders are mounted into waterproof padded pelicases:

http://www.peliproducts.co.uk/cases.htm

and either fitted to the boats or carried in a special pouch on the back of the helmet camera wearer's lifejacket.

The recorders have been very reliable - that said, a simple solid state combined camera / recorder (like the Action 2000) is a lot cheaper and (depending on what you want to do with the footage) may be more than adequate. No point having a 25 MBit/s full Pal video sample if you are going to down sample it and stick it on youtube.

Cheers

Chris
__________________

__________________
chris123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2007, 15:25   #13
Member
 
Tony's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: Guernsey
Boat name: Monkey Nutz
Make: Cougar R8 Sport
Length: 8m +
Engine: 350Sci Verado
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 931
Ihad the Action 2000 camera and it really isn't up to much!
The only way to go is the same way as Cookie- solid state with a pro bullet cam. All in all not too too expensive for hours of amusement during those boring cold winter months.....
__________________
Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2007, 03:55   #14
Member
 
Cookee's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 4,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123 View Post
Solid state is best for reliability, however it all depends what you want the footage for. Cheap solid state will be (relatively) low quality, expensive rugged solid state (1600 ish) will be near DVD quality.

MiniDV tape gives superior quality even to the expensive solid state, but is (obviously) much more delicate. It gives the best quality though, and is the media of choice for the BBC etc in action footage.

The footage from the RNLI on BBC's Seaside Rescue is primarily filmed on miniDV tape using recorders with remote mics and cameras. Recorders are mounted into waterproof padded pelicases:

http://www.peliproducts.co.uk/cases.htm

and either fitted to the boats or carried in a special pouch on the back of the helmet camera wearer's lifejacket.

The recorders have been very reliable - that said, a simple solid state combined camera / recorder (like the Action 2000) is a lot cheaper and (depending on what you want to do with the footage) may be more than adequate. No point having a 25 MBit/s full Pal video sample if you are going to down sample it and stick it on youtube.

Cheers

Chris

Chris - How does the above compare to the solid state recorders price wise? I'm sure some people might be interested, although the quality is surprising and is a lot better than Youtube quality!
__________________
Cookee
Originally Posted by Zippy
When a boat looks that good who needs tubes!!!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2007, 04:39   #15
Member
 
Tony's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: Guernsey
Boat name: Monkey Nutz
Make: Cougar R8 Sport
Length: 8m +
Engine: 350Sci Verado
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 931
Where can one find a card based recorder for sale that records in a decent resolution?
Tony
__________________
Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2007, 15:01   #16
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Boat name: Angel-B
Make: Ex Y boat
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki 9.9HP
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Where can one find a card based recorder for sale that records in a decent resolution?
Tony
The Ovation Flashback 2 will record MPEG2 with variable bit rate up to 9.5 MBit/sec max:

http://www.ovation.co.uk/FlashBack-2...ged%20DVR.html

It's not cheap though (not really aimed at the consumer market). I'm sure others exist.

Cheers

Chris
__________________
chris123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2007, 16:09   #17
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Boat name: Angel-B
Make: Ex Y boat
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki 9.9HP
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
Chris - How does the above compare to the solid state recorders price wise? I'm sure some people might be interested, although the quality is surprising and is a lot better than Youtube quality!
Unfortunately miniDV recorders are getting thin on the ground, or at least ones with the required functionality are (sorry, should have said that before ). You need one with composite video (and audio if you are using a mike) inputs, and ideally firewire input as well as output so you can edit on a pc and output back to tape.

I'm only really familiar with Sony kit, and it looks like none of their latest range has this functionality. Older units (eg Sony HC32, HC96, PC55, PC109) are available second hand or still stocked new in some shops (300 to 500). Other manufacturers may still sell new products to fit the bill.

You are then looking at a waterproof camera with composite output (100 to 150), waterproof case (20 to 30), camera battery pack (12 vdc NiCD or NiMH), cabling and connectors. You'll need to be happy with basic DIY, wiring and soldering.

The other challenge is controlling the recorder - you really do not want to be opening the waterproof case to start / stop recorder or change tapes whilst at sea. The Sony HC32, HC96 and PC109 use a wired system called LANC for which remote controls are available - I think Canon also use LANC.

Finally, if you are going to be 'wearing' the camera, you need to consider safety - if the camera is attached in some way to your head, and the recorder is on your back or in the boat, you need some sort of breakaway connector between the two, so if the worst happens the connector just pulls apart before it takes your head off.

Cheers

Chris
__________________
chris123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2007, 01:07   #18
Member
 
Tony's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: Guernsey
Boat name: Monkey Nutz
Make: Cougar R8 Sport
Length: 8m +
Engine: 350Sci Verado
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 931
Well here goes..
This is the plan....
After trying a couple of different methods of attaching cameras to my a frame ( and ripped the threads out ) i am going to mount a 580 line bullet cam running cables down to the storage locker under the back seat. In a waterproof box a recorder(maybe a sold state one) and power connections. If all goes to plan change my Raymarine c80 for a e80 so i can line in the video to see everything lines up ok.Ideally a switch on the console to start and stop recording but I don't think this is possible . Aiptek make a cheap sd card based camcorder with a line in, so i might try that. Any thoughts?
thanks
Tony
__________________
Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2007, 12:15   #19
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
If you get an E80 I would be very tempted to get a camera that is good in low light as well. Then you can have an IR illuminator and drive around at night and still see where you are going!!! Also a camera that is waterproof so you can chuck it over the side and see/record what's under you.

MAYBE something like this?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CCTV-Sony-Fish...QQcmdZViewItem
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2007, 15:22   #20
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Boat name: Angel-B
Make: Ex Y boat
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki 9.9HP
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Well here goes..
This is the plan....
After trying a couple of different methods of attaching cameras to my a frame ( and ripped the threads out ) i am going to mount a 580 line bullet cam running cables down to the storage locker under the back seat. In a waterproof box a recorder(maybe a sold state one) and power connections. If all goes to plan change my Raymarine c80 for a e80 so i can line in the video to see everything lines up ok.Ideally a switch on the console to start and stop recording but I don't think this is possible . Aiptek make a cheap sd card based camcorder with a line in, so i might try that. Any thoughts?
thanks
Tony
If you go for a 'lipstick' camera with a standard 'tripod' thread on the back, you can get a range of mounts that should allow you to clamp it to your A frame, eg:

http://www.b-hague.co.uk/Mounting%20Brackets.htm

Clamps like the mini clamp (MC) work well in my experience.

I had a look at the Aiptek website, but could not see which camcorder you were looking at?

Cheers

Chris
__________________

__________________
chris123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:37.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.