Old 18 September 2003, 18:31   #1

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Broken GPS

Well guess what. I broke my GPS yesterday.

It seems that my Marine Garmin GPS 126 isn't very seaworthy.

Firstly I will give Garmin chance to fix it or replace it before I say to many bad things about it.

However what I would like to say now is that on the sales Blurb it states that the unit has a sealed gasketted case and will last up to 30 mins in 1 meter of water.

All I've managed to do to my unit is splash it a few times.

I must say I sail like a lunatic but a few big splashes do not equate to being submersed in water.

The unit looked perfect until I packed it for its return and then I notice a small patch of liquid in the bottom left corner. As I turned the unit around the liquid moved around behind the screen like some kids toy.

So I'm thinking either some water has got in or the LCD screen is really made of some sort of liquid and I've broke it.

Anyway as I said I will keep you all posted as to the outcome and in particular how good the backup is from GPS Warehouse and Garmin.
Old 18 September 2003, 18:42   #2
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
From past experience I expect that Garmin will replace it without any aggro.

Keep us posted though!

John
Old 18 September 2003, 19:19   #3

Town: Mayfair, London
Make: RibEye/Ferretti 881
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha 25/Twin MTU
The screen on my new Garmin broke, i.e. just went blank after it's first half hours use a couple of weeks ago.

It was replaced quite quickly by Garmin through the dealer.

I was dissapointed with as I thought Garmin were reliable units and hearing your story makes me wonder if there is a recent quality contol problem going on.
Old 18 September 2003, 19:35   #4

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Timw

Thats what has got to me the most.

I thought I was buying quality and getting something that I could rely on.

The two things that have annoyed me most about this is :-

a) I will be without the unit for up to 2 weeks. People will say it is a bad thing but I was really getting used to having it on board.

b) I had plotted over 250 waypoints in it and that took ages. I don't know if I'll be so quick to program them in again.
Old 19 September 2003, 07:36   #5
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
It's not ideal admittedly, but no one seems to have perfected any 100% reliable electronics for use in a RIB.

Garmin do make good quality kit though, and in my experience it tends to be very reliable. I don't know of anything similar that is markedly better, and at least there is good back up if it does go wrong!

John
Old 19 September 2003, 10:45   #6

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Re: Timw

Quote:
Originally posted by Biggles
b) I had plotted over 250 waypoints in it and that took ages. I don't know if I'll be so quick to program them in again.
If Garmin can fire up your unit, they'll transfer the waypoints and your routes to the replacement one.
Old 19 September 2003, 12:19   #7

Town: Iver, Bucks, UK
Boat name: Prime Rib II
Make: Humber Ocean Pro
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercruiser 1.7 diese
MMSI: 235086032
Biggles,

I had a problem with some condensation appearing in my 182 at the beginning of this season. I contacted Garmin and explained I needed it urgently, so rather that post it, I popped it into their repair centre in Romsey. They took it away to look at it and about 15 minutes later came back with a brand new one with all my old waypoints transferred.... and a new warranty for another year!

A few years ago, I spilt some petrol on a 3 year old unit I had and damaged the rubber membrane. It was well out of warranty but I spoke to the good guys in Romsey who posted me a new membrane for free which i fitted myself. It worked for another year after that!

Frankly, I don't think you'll find better after sales service that Garmin!

Call their direct service line on 0870 8501244 and see if you can take it in, if its still under warranty!

Mike C
Old 19 September 2003, 12:30   #8

Town: Aberystwyth
Boat name: Undecided
Make: Undecided
Length: Undecided
Engine: Undecided
In the defence of Garmin, my eTrex is damn good. It's taken quite a lot of abuse off me now. I've used it on my bike, and when I do it goes in one of the net cargo pockets on my rucksack so it's reachable whilst moving. This has on a few occasions put it right underneath me as I've fallen off, and it still looks like new. It's been given a fair soaking too, thanks to the combined efforts of me, Ian and Helen to have fun with the Searider.

If they replace it, then hopefully you'll find you just had a duff unit that was the exception to otherwise good quality, and then you'll also know that Garmin are a decent company to deal with when it comes to after-sale support. If they kick up a fuss, and refuse to replace the unit, then you know it's time to try out a different manufacturer.
Old 19 September 2003, 14:14   #9

Town: cheshire
Boat name: Magpie
Engine: 55hp yam
Please keep us imformed on how you go on with this prob biggles, I have just got the same unit for my boat, but I to have heard garmins after sales service is second to non, the main reason I picked the 126 is cos of the built in antena, getting away with antena cables ect, best of luck.

Nick in cheshire.