Old 28 November 2014, 05:17   #1
Spammer

Town: Southern Ontario
Boat name: -Unknown-
Make: SeaMax
Length: 4m +
Engine: Merc/Minn Kota
Bow Mount Electric on SIB (Elec Steering) (Remote Direction Switch)

Hi all,

Have been working on the transformation of my new Minn Kota C3 55lb Thrust Electric.
No room at stern so have been making the modifications to mount on the bow of my SIB.

I'm more confident now than prior after pulling off the Thust Motor Top to understand what will be involved in:
1. Reversing the Manual speed handle to face 180 degree toward prop. NO PROBLEM

2. Removal (easy) of the main circuit apparatus inside which has five wire connectors and rotary forward/reverse rotary switch - all on the same 2"x3" sealed switch.

3. Tested the old 14.4 Volt Drill to be used which will jack-screw the electric motor's mounting base to turn 40 degrees both left and right.

When completed this coming spring, the motor will stand alone on the bow with a 10 foot wire lead to the Direction/5 Speed level and Turn switch which will be mounted near the driver near the stern. He will be able to completely operate the bow-mounted electric thrust motor from anywhere in the boat. Coast? about 15.00 less the old drill.

Anyone interested in modifying their own.. let me know and I'll share a diagram and pictures once completed.
Old 23 January 2015, 13:06   #2
Spammer

UPDATE:
Have completed the design and began the work. Removed the speed/direction switch (single unit with 6 electrical connectors on it) Reversed the head with handle facing inward when I mount on bow. Tested the old 14.4v Drill (note must use a DPDT (temp) switch) with the neg/positive director to drill motor, Not finger speed control. Designed the simple worm drive to steer the motor. I suspect it will be completed once weather here permits the bow mods, probably Mid April.
Old 23 January 2015, 17:16   #3

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Interesting project. I swear I have seen it done before on a SIB, with an electric trolling motor mounted to the bow, although not remotely controlled.

The drill bit is kinda confusing. Is it a 1:1 or geared? In other words how fast is it going to react? How do you plan to control throttle? The DPDT switch is momentary contact right?

How come there is no room on the transom? Are there wheels?

Old 28 January 2015, 04:52   #4
Spammer

Hi Peter.

I did it once before, a while ago was levered to the outboard (full transom fibreglass) and steered from the outboard (not I see Mercury is now doing just that. run off the outboard for steering Gas or Electric. So nothing new there.

As far as the drill, it's a simple old 14.4 volt with a clutch. I will run a Worm Gear (Threaded 1/8 rod), which will run a worm gear (fancy nut) which will pivot a small platform with the Electric Motor on it.

The base for the whole set-up will be a partial cap on the bow at tube-top level and bolted on three columns which are bolted through both the floor up and throuch the bow cap.

The other Direction and Speed is the simple. I pulled the main direction one piece swich out of the head of the Min Kota Endura 55. And will extend all wiring (Six 4 x 10 gauge to 12 feet (3 metre) and 2 x 14 Gauge same length, all of which will be placed in a small enclosure, along with One DPDT Pulse Switch that will enable left/right worm-gear steering with the normal position off.
Old 30 January 2015, 14:04   #5
Spammer

Will post pictures once completed and on the boat. Bye the way guys, If you use a manual Downrigger and want to covert it to electric-cheap, I may be able to help. I did two over the years the last a couple of years ago to a Cannon Manual Downrigger. Total cost..about $60.00 Canadian Dollars.