Old 02 July 2003, 18:57   #21

Town: Poole
Length: no boat
Jizm

Now I've never seen the boat but I'm afraid its already been done !

Regards

Mark ( man with non-return valves on order )
Old 02 July 2003, 20:16   #22

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
There is an old fishing boat near my dad's place on a trailer that has an old potting shed for the cabin, (guttering and shelving still in place!). The guy has even cut a large hole in the front for a 'windscreen'! Apparently he uses it a couple of times a year with a few mates. Will attempt to get a pic next time I am at the old man's.
Old 03 July 2003, 21:23   #23

Town: SOUTHAMPTON
Boat name: Won't get Fooled Again
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.5
Engine: Honda 130
Quote:
Originally posted by MarkWildey
Cheers Diggers

I. My next DIY plan is to fit guttering around the tubes to improve the dryness of the boat.

Thanks again

Mark
would that make it a Trimaran.

Thanks guys by the way for the input, it's good stuff and I feel a round of implementation coming up.
Old 04 July 2003, 06:52   #24

Town: Portchester, Hants.
Send a message via AIM to Aging Youth Send a message via Yahoo to Aging Youth
Which Pump

Hi Guy's & Girl's

Stuart, I tried to ring you the other night to discuss in person, I want to fit an automatic bilge pump but cannot decided what size of pump would suit 6m rib. Or wheather manual bump would be better?

Bearing in mind what was said about live electrics and water. Is it a DIY job or one for the experts.

JIZM do fit out aswell as supply? I am in pompey.

Any advice is as always gratefully recieved.

Regards
Old 04 July 2003, 07:03   #25

AY

What is the intended location of the bilge pump, engine bay, well in transom or somewhere else.

If in an engine bay insure that any electrical connections are as high as possible and waterproof as possible.

Also something that boat manufactures don't think about is maintenance. Locate the pump in the best position for its purpose but also insure you can get to it to clean it out.

Get the biggest pump you need or can afford.

Cheers

Mark
Old 04 July 2003, 11:22   #26

Town: Upavon, Wiltshire
Boat name: Dromedary
Length: 6.55
I have a pair of 500 Rule fully auto pumps and they work great, with two if one fails you still have the other but so far nither has failed.

John
Old 04 July 2003, 12:33   #27

Town: Portchester, Hants.
Send a message via AIM to Aging Youth Send a message via Yahoo to Aging Youth
Bilge Pump Fittment

Hi Mark,

At the stern on my boat there is an inspection hatch going down into the hull, access is to F/F Transducer. This is also the location of my drain plug in the transom.

I assume this is the best location for a pump as it always drains a little water when I undo the plug after a run. Volume of water depends on how rough it has been.

I also have an Elephants trunk to drain the deck area, Should I need to.

On a recent day out covered about 80Nm. On the way home Boat on the plane smooth seas boat started to Chine walk(wobling side to side) for no apparent reason. As soon as I throtled off everything ok.

Fuel was low nearly empty. Once back on the slip undid the drain plug and a couple of gallons empitied onto the slip.

This is deffinately more than normal. Any views/thoughts?

I assume water sloshing around in the bottom of a boat will affect handling? I know I have not hit anything to cause damage.

Scubakid, I have looked at the Rule pump with Auto Float switch, pumps 500Gals/Hr not bad price wise. Wavehumper has had reliability problems with these units! Anyone else experienced this?

Do you know if need to consider Head hight to lift water from bilge to over the top of Transom?

Cheers
Old 04 July 2003, 13:26   #28

Ageing Youth

I would first invest some time and money looking at why you have water in the hull. If the drain plug or inspection hatch is faulty have them fixed as it will only get worse and potentially cause a major problem in the future.

Open the drain plug and fill your boat, upto the inspection hatch, with water and see if any comes out of the drain. If so then the hatch is at fault

I have two Rule-Mate 500 pumps on my boat and they appear to be fine. I clean them on a regular basis and they are also cable-tied down to stop them jumping out.

Regards

Mark
Old 05 July 2003, 12:21   #29

Town: Ireland
Boat name: Ally Cat
Make: Several
Length: 6m +
Engine: Several
Another place that (rain) water can get into the hull is anywhere you have something screwed into the floor, console,Fuel tank retaining straps. If the sealing around the screws has broken down you would be amazed how much water can ingress.

And yes it will seriously affect the handling!

Another place is if you have an anchor locker that drains into the hull then obviously, the more time you put wet rope into the locker , the more water gets into the hull.

We always have good quality stainless steel bungs fitted to our boats. Our boats are generally lifted and drained each evening. I would not be surprised that even with good bungs that a boat left afloat for weeks at a time would take some water into the hull !

Hope this is of help!

Best wishes,

Stuart
www.powerboat.org
Powerboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 July 2003, 14:12   #30

Town: Dublin
Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 optimax
water

Brian I agree it is a problem and when you are not about especially, I had an avon before and it would fill quite easy I would try an visit the Marina often to bail it, we now have same problem on the Hysucat , but as it is a cat two hulls can fill with rain water and the boat also, we hand pump this once a week at worse , if you are going to connect a pump all the time all you can do is ensure you have anodes in contact with the water all the time and they are in good condition , hopefully they will go first.

WHEN THE CAT IS AWAY THE MICE GO TO REDBAY..............
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 July 2003, 18:42   #31

Town: Upavon, Wiltshire
Boat name: Dromedary
Length: 6.55
Hi

The Rule 500 pumps I have are the electronic ones they do not have a float switch but detect the strain on the pump so when it is working and pumping water they stay on when the load is gone they stop they then spin up every so often to see if there is any water to get out.

Hope this helps

John