Old 06 May 2015, 16:46   #11

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
We have 3 solar panels on the yacht. 1 x 80w and 1 x 45w permanently mounted keep the batteries fully topped up. With a portable 60w panel as well we see 11 amps in the mid day sun. The problem you will have is not knowing the daily requirements until its all fitted, used and measured for a while. We have a battery monitor to keep track of things, but its OTT for a small rib.

So a 20-30W panel will generate 1 - 2 amps in good sunshine. If you are fitting an A frame design it so that a panel con be mounted flat over the top of the engines out of the way. Presumably you are going for two batteries, so the solar panel will keep them topped up with some clever wiring. You also need a PWM charger to stop the panel over charging or discharging at night. Remember the pump will be an auto type so consume some power permanently even when not pumping.

Try something like this which is cheap enough.

20 W MONOCRYSTALLINE SOLAR PANEL 20 WATTS BATTERY CHARGER 12V PV-with 3M CABLE | eBay

Pump ?

Whale Supersub Smart 650 Bilge Pump Super Sub - New - A28 | eBay

Now, having costed all this would it be cheaper to buy a cheap boat cover instead?

Pete

Old 06 May 2015, 17:02   #12

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: Andante
Make: Cobra
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yamaha V8. 350 hp
Too technical

I have been watching this thread get rather technical the poor original poster must think he has joined a science/physics forum.

I used to have a Avon 580 RIB in Torquay Marina for a couple of years that had no cover, so consequently collected a fair bit of rain.

Over the first 6 months I had a flat battery about 4 times. I then decided to fit a 8 watt solar panel that supposedly is not powerful enough to overcharge a battery but sufficient to keep the battery charged up. After fitting this I never had a flat battery again.

The bilge pump was a Rule 750 connected through a float switch so when the pump was not working there was no battery drain.

How does a boat get spray inside when it is kept in a marina?

With regards to the technical answers I did not see any calculations for evaporation !!!

Keep it simple

Old 06 May 2015, 17:12   #13

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutty View Post

Keep it simple
Like using a boat cover instead?
Old 07 May 2015, 03:36   #14

Length: 5m +
Thanks for the replies - i am ok with the calculations - i did something similar. i got to the point where i realised i was still guessing the rainfall, even after looking at typical averages/max. i hadnt allowed for the losses etc though. Thats why i was interested to see if anyone has been there, done that with the solar panel and i appreciate the feedback on that too

Anyway thanks again for the replies I had a box of goodies arrive yesterday - all my electronics - so just need the boat and engine in the next couple of weeks... no doubt i will be bugging you again for thoughts on tube antifoul, etc
Old 09 May 2015, 14:21   #15

Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutty View Post
. I then decided to fit a 8 watt solar panel
is that fitted all the time or just when tied up? Got an old 8w panel and its pretty large...

Quote:
How does a boat get spray inside when it is kept in a marina
I must frequent the wrong marinas. Wind + solid things for waves etc to hit = spray...