Old 13 February 2016, 21:13   #1

Town: San Pedro, CA
Boat name: CATSASS
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 1986 30HP Mariner
MMSI: 338206221
Best Place/Way to Mount a 12v Aux Batery in an Avon SR4

I have a manual start Mariner 30HP, and use a Pelican case with motorcycle battery in it to power my fish finder. My lights are better operated LED portable lights. Every time I come back from a trip I disconnect my battery and bring it inside to charge. I've gotten into the habit of putting the battery inside a small mesh bag with some other padded bits and putting it in between my 12 gallon fuel tank in the bow and the jockey console so it doesn't bash around so much.

There are no tie downs under the seat, and my steering/throttle/shift cables, fuel line, transducer line all come through the port side/bottom of the jockey seat near the bow and exit the cutout on the starboard side/stern, and they seem to get in the way of storing anything large in there like dry bags, although with some bungee it kind of works.

I'm thinking about adding a full size battery for longer tips and overnighters, and planned to put it under the seat. There are mounting blanks under the seat I could use to bolt things down, but I cannot seem to figure out a good way to mount a battery back there. I've searched here and on Google. Ideally, I want to have some kind of sturdy battery box that can take some weather, yet will allow me to charge it manually when I get home and can connect to power without removing it from the boat. I'm trying to leave the rear of the boat as open as possible, because I dive a lot and it's easier for getting in and out to have some room. Same goes for getting to the motor if necessary. I also want to be able to store tanks and extra fuel back there occasionally.

I though about just putting screws through the deck and ignoring the bolt blanks, but am not sure about that. I have a flooding hull, and while my fuel tank hold down in the rear (which I no longer use) were done that way, I'd like to avoid putting more holes in the deck if possible.

Anyone with an SR4 or other rib with a jockey console have some ideas on how to go about securing battery under the seat?

Tags
avon