Old 11 August 2015, 08:38   #1

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Battery life

Another "time expiry" question.

Seawolf is still on its original battery, coming up 5 years old. It's a proper marine battery, has never been flat, holds its charge, and gets a top-up with an auto charger about every month or so over the winter when the boat isn't being used (battery maintenance is something I'm quite particular about on everything). Power is off completely when the boat is out of the water. Starts instantly, turning over quickly.

I can't easily get a marine battery here, and it has to be a very specific size to fit in the battery box on the boat. Plus, being an Etec, there is the battery terminal issue i.e. they need to be very secure.

I reckon it should be good for a while yet. I have just sold my Discovery with a 13 year old battery in it. Does anybody violently disagree with the thought that it is probably fine for the time being?

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2015, 08:44   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Can't see a problem meself. If it's behaving, then no reason to change.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2015, 08:55   #3

Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Scull
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
Another "time expiry" question.

Seawolf is still on its original battery, coming up 5 years old. It's a proper marine battery, has never been flat, holds its charge, and gets a top-up with an auto charger about every month or so over the winter when the boat isn't being used (battery maintenance is something I'm quite particular about on everything). Power is off completely when the boat is out of the water. Starts instantly, turning over quickly.

I can't easily get a marine battery here, and it has to be a very specific size to fit in the battery box on the boat. Plus, being an Etec, there is the battery terminal issue i.e. they need to be very secure.

I reckon it should be good for a while yet. I have just sold my Discovery with a 13 year old battery in it. Does anybody violently disagree with the thought that it is probably fine for the time being?

I'd run with it - but just to be 100% sure you could always do a load test
Old 11 August 2015, 09:47   #4
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
I'd run with it - but just to be 100% sure you could always do a load test
Get's my vote too. You don't subject the battery to much battering, keep it charged etc. It could last for years. A load test is a good idea.
Old 11 August 2015, 13:44   #5

Length: 7m +
If it were me I would fit an additional battery with a switch and power charging unit, i had a battery fail once on the water and without the second one available it could have been a nasty situation.
Old 11 August 2015, 13:58   #6

Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Scull
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
If it were me I would fit an additional battery with a switch and power charging unit, i had a battery fail once on the water and without the second one available it could have been a nasty situation.
But where do you draw the line, second engines, second VHF's, second GPS, second fuse box.............................................?? ?? I'm a strong believer in my kit being up-to par, maintained correctly and fit for purpose, you then reduce the risk of breakdowns to a minimum
Old 11 August 2015, 15:00   #7
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
Bogmonster has a pull start aux so less of an issue - which means he has complete independence if it turns out the failure is the switch or the wiring both of which are common issues reported here. Spontaneous battery failure with no warning on well looked after kit is uncommon.

The only issue I can see is that getting replacement to the Falklands when you do think its starting to go could be time consuming.
Old 11 August 2015, 17:10   #8

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
I've had my Batteries longer than you Stephen. You've done all the right things in looking after your Battery, no reason it shouldn't last a good few years to come. However the obvious thing I will say is that if had a twin system like me then you wouldn't be posting asking for advice and would just continue until one day you had problems.

Fender, yes you can't always have a double of everything on board. But it depends on what sort of boating environment you go out in. If you're going to be out by yourself and away from build up area's there is a strong recommendation from me that certain systems are doubled up on. A twin battery electrical system is one of the main upgrades I would suggest. No good being on a powerboat without electrical power, no engine/s, no main VHF and no GPS.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2015, 17:31   #9
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
However the obvious thing I will say is that if had a twin system like me then you wouldn't be posting asking for advice and would just continue until one day you had problems.
So if you were Stephen and had "your" double electrics and realised one battery was dodgy would you go out, knowing that the other battery was the same age, lifecycle, abuse history etc? Bearing in mind that in his location it would be more of a problem than the embarrassment that someone on RIBnet might have overheard his VHF call. Otherwise he's not really any better off unless failure happens on the water.

Quote:
No good being on a powerboat without electrical power, no engine/s, no main VHF and no GPS.
handhelds provide true independence - otherwise you are always relying on the wiring, switches, fuse etc anyway. Old tech engines could all be pull started anyway - not sure if your fancy modern stuff makes that impossible?
Old 11 August 2015, 18:03   #10

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Batteries seem to be ok one day and the next there buggered with no signs of failure until it's gone
Old 11 August 2015, 18:49   #11

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Your battery could last years or it could fail tomorrow if it were me I would have a spare and keep using it peace of mind or carry a jump starter
Old 11 August 2015, 19:10   #12

Town: Leicester
Engine: 135hp Mercury
If in doubt replace it. Simple as that.
FWIW I carry a smaller battery & my auxiliary engine is pull start & not connected to any of the boat's systems.
Old 11 August 2015, 22:14   #13

Town: Fareham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
So if you were Stephen and had "your" double electrics and realised one battery was dodgy would you go out, knowing that the other battery was the same age, lifecycle, abuse history etc? Bearing in mind that in his location it would be more of a problem than the embarrassment that someone on RIBnet might have overheard his VHF call. Otherwise he's not really any better off unless failure happens on the water.
Of course you don't go out if one of your bats isn't working properly. The thing is Poly you don't always find out you have a faulty battery before you go. If that happens with one battery you're dead in the water. Twins gives you a fighting chance of getting home.

It's also worthy mentioning for a balanced view that with a twin system one faulty battery can effect the healthy other one. You need to protect against this using a 1.2.both.off isolator and some procedure.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2015, 02:49   #14

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
I have two batteries in case I fail.......to switch off the bilge pumps, switch off the lights, the VHF....etc. The batteries are much less of a problem than my memory is.
I don't think 5 years is particularly old for a properly maintained battery but, as previously mentioned, if it's niggling away at you, get it tested to see if "AH" capacity is still in scope. Only take a couple of minutes and is a good indicator of the battery's condition.
Old 15 August 2015, 23:17   #15
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
As a point of note the 3.3 and 3.4 litre Etecs can be pull started surprisingly easily. Not sure the same is true of the 2.6L small blocks though.
Old 23 August 2015, 23:27   #16

Nowhere really to put a second battery - the front compartment of the single jockey console is basically full with the single battery and oil tank for the E-TEC, I wouldn't put it in the compartment under the seat where the fuel is (done the 'nervous trip home with the battery covered in petrol wondering if my knackers were about to go up in flames' thing on my old boat, never again) and under the seat pods would be too much hassle to install.

In terms of plan B if it goes quiet at the blunt end, handheld VHF, PLB and a pull start aux are all independent/permanently on the boat.

I'm not particularly worried about stopping it and it not starting again as I rarely stop it at sea, and the cold start on launch is the biggest load it would get with the lowest state of charge, so it was more to gauge a sensible planned replacement date.

Thanks for the input.

Old 25 August 2019, 20:47   #17

Holy thread revival...........!

Four years on and she's still on the original battery - mid 2010 vintage. I'm thinking this summer is a good time to order one in.

Can somebody remind me if there's anything particularly nasty about salt water and any of the particular battery chemistries, I have a feeling I have seen something about it in the past?

Finding one the right size for the battery box (which is pretty small) but matches the original Yuasa '100' battery (650CCA, 70AH) is proving a bit tricky, the original type appears never to have existed on Google, but a couple of options are

https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/yuasa/ybx9096/
(looks OK)

or https://www.tayna.co.uk/leisure-batt...line/exv82agm/
(marine - but no CCA so may not be suitable as a starter)

or https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/yuasa/ybx7100/
(looks OK)

or push the boat out and get https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/odyssey/pc1220/

Finding a marine battery in the right size to match the original CCA seems to be a tall order, and I'm pretty sure I recall seeing views that the one thing the E-TEC does need is decent battery amps and good terminals.

I've got to order it from the UK and wait 2 months for it to get here, so getting something suitable is somewhat important.

Old 25 August 2019, 21:00   #18
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post

Four years on and she's still on the original battery - mid 2010 vintage. I'm thinking this summer is a good time to order one in....

Mine are going to be six years old next spring and I'm going to swap them out on general principles...
Old 26 August 2019, 20:21   #19

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
BM it's easy for most of us but you so remote IMO to keep boating you need backup any spec battery that suits your set up will be ok but for longiverty you need the best spec. I've had batteries last months and over 10 years all good makes its a chance thing but if you have backup you have piece of mind for me I would buy the best as backup. Just MO
Old 26 August 2019, 21:43   #20

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
The lead acid batteries in the medical equipment we maintain makes it obvious that the "killer" is letting them go flat or leaving them flat....they regularly last less than six months.

Left on permanent charge about 5 years+ is realistic.

This is based on an average of about 10 to 20 batteries a week.

All IMO obviously.