Old 11 August 2015, 13:49   #11
Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Mercury
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
MMSI: 235074042
Your battery could last years or it could fail tomorrow if it were me I would have a spare and keep using it peace of mind or carry a jump starter

jeffstevens763@g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2015, 14:10   #12
Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
If in doubt replace it. Simple as that.
FWIW I carry a smaller battery & my auxiliary engine is pull start & not connected to any of the boat's systems.

paintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2015, 17:14   #13
Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
So if you were Stephen and had "your" double electrics and realised one battery was dodgy would you go out, knowing that the other battery was the same age, lifecycle, abuse history etc? Bearing in mind that in his location it would be more of a problem than the embarrassment that someone on RIBnet might have overheard his VHF call. Otherwise he's not really any better off unless failure happens on the water.
Of course you don't go out if one of your bats isn't working properly. The thing is Poly you don't always find out you have a faulty battery before you go. If that happens with one battery you're dead in the water. Twins gives you a fighting chance of getting home.

It's also worthy mentioning for a balanced view that with a twin system one faulty battery can effect the healthy other one. You need to protect against this using a isolator and some procedure.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2015, 21:49   #14
Town: Denny
Boat name: Hebridean Storm
Make: Coastline
Length: 6m +
Engine: Honda 130hp
MMSI: 235107505
I have two batteries in case I switch off the bilge pumps, switch off the lights, the VHF....etc. The batteries are much less of a problem than my memory is.
I don't think 5 years is particularly old for a properly maintained battery but, as previously mentioned, if it's niggling away at you, get it tested to see if "AH" capacity is still in scope. Only take a couple of minutes and is a good indicator of the battery's condition.
Last Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2015, 18:17   #15
RIBnet supporter
Town: Bushey & La Bretagne
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
As a point of note the 3.3 and 3.4 litre Etecs can be pull started surprisingly easily. Not sure the same is true of the 2.6L small blocks though.
gotchiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2015, 18:27   #16
Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Nowhere really to put a second battery - the front compartment of the single jockey console is basically full with the single battery and oil tank for the E-TEC, I wouldn't put it in the compartment under the seat where the fuel is (done the 'nervous trip home with the battery covered in petrol wondering if my knackers were about to go up in flames' thing on my old boat, never again) and under the seat pods would be too much hassle to install.

In terms of plan B if it goes quiet at the blunt end, handheld VHF, PLB and a pull start aux are all independent/permanently on the boat.

I'm not particularly worried about stopping it and it not starting again as I rarely stop it at sea, and the cold start on launch is the biggest load it would get with the lowest state of charge, so it was more to gauge a sensible planned replacement date.

Thanks for the input.

A Boat is a hole in the water, surrounded by fibreglass, into which you throw money...

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote