Old 05 October 2009, 19:40   #1
mdt

Town: fife
Make: Humber / searider
Length: 5m +
MMSI: ... - - - ...
Battery height.

I have started on the build of the console… and I am looking for some guidance of how high off the deck (inside the console) I should have the battery.

It is going to be inside the console glassed to the deck, as water tight as one can get it to be. And my current thinking is to place it on a 9inch high shelf. Putting the top of the batt 18inches above the deck. I am right to think if I was to end up with water 18inches inside the console loosing electrical power could be the least of my worries? the humber has it’s batt really quite high up just looking to get the COG as low as is reasonable?
Old 05 October 2009, 20:55   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdt View Post
I have started on the build of the console… and I am looking for some guidance of how high off the deck (inside the console) I should have the battery.

It is going to be inside the console glassed to the deck, as water tight as one can get it to be. And my current thinking is to place it on a 9inch high shelf. Putting the top of the batt 18inches above the deck. I am right to think if I was to end up with water 18inches inside the console loosing electrical power could be the least of my worries? the humber has it’s batt really quite high up just looking to get the COG as low as is reasonable?
I must have had over a foot of water on the deck when I stuffed it in the Forth a few years ago with you. That was obviously outside the console not in, but it doesn't seem totally implausible to me to get 18" on the deck if you f**k it up properly and if that involved stalling the engines, or being thrown out your seat I could imagine that it could take a wee while to compose yourself - or being in conditions where you can't get the trunks down straight away - so if your witches hat, hatch etc leak it must be possible to get 18" in the console too? Yes it might be the least of your worries - but it might be the one time you really NEED the electrics! But my own battery is probably less than 18" off the deck, certainly not water tight and its not something I loose sleep over.

The other time my boat has been "swimming in water" has been when the bung was left out. If that happened without you being on board (e.g. at lunchtime) then it could ruin your day if it did get to the battery. So I guess it all depends how sure you are its water tight...
Old 05 October 2009, 21:06   #3
J S

Town: N.Wales/Southampton
Make: Zodiac
Engine: Honda 15hp
Quote:

Id stick with a similar idea to your humber console with a shelf high up for the battery in real terms I dont think it makes a massive difference to COG. For example when the rib is swamped up to the top of the tubes then you will have no problems as long as all the other connections on the deck are all up to scratch. You are right in thinking you would be more worried about that amount of water being in your boat but would be best to still have electrical power. You can easily get into this situation leaving the boat on a mooring and it blows up a little, iv come across many ribs in this situation the only way to get rid of the water is drive them with the trunks down as a bilge pump will have no effect as the water will be flowing over the transom so its an advantage to be able to start the engine. And as Polwart said you can easily be in this situation by stuffing.

James
Old 06 October 2009, 00:44   #4

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
As high as you can
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 October 2009, 00:59   #5

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave View Post
As high as you can
Bugger, mines on the deck inside the console of the SR4, still its better than in a leaky box next to the transom like it used to be!
Old 06 October 2009, 11:39   #6

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
My old searider it was under the seat on the deck in a nominally watertight box. Thing is whenyou get properly swamped, it's amazing how un-watertight you find consoles are! My battyery survived it;s scuba lesson OK, it was the battery switch that died over the next few hours.

My console i nthe Humber ios the type tyou describe. Batt switch is also well above water level, and mounted in a "hatch bucket" (have a look at Lasers for a pic of what I mean) so the whole lot is above "swamp level.

Other thing to remember is that once swamped, the engine will drop the transom, so if you are hiding it under the wheel, the water level will be below toob top.

I'd make sure it's above toob height, but more so the switch.
Old 06 October 2009, 15:34   #7

Town: Oakland CA
With my Achilles 14, I had the battery sitting in a plastic (non-watertight) box at the transom. On one particularly rough day, the waves were occasionally washing over the bow of the boat while we were diving, and I surfaced to find a good 12" of water above the deck. The battery I was using was a tractor battery that stood perhaps 8" high, so it was completely submerged.

I figured I'd have to figure out how to pull-start the motor, but hit the starter button anyway. To my surprise, the engine fired right up. A bit of running (well, OK, a lot of running) to clear the water from teh deck, and everything was good. The salt bath didn't seem to affect the battery at all (cabling is another story.)

I did learn one lesson though: The battery box that is designed to contain acid spills also holds sea water for long periods of time if you don't empty it.

jky
Old 06 October 2009, 15:36   #8

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Mine are buried at one of the lowest points in the hull ! I'm worried now ........
Old 06 October 2009, 20:02   #9
mdt

Town: fife
Make: Humber / searider
MMSI: ... - - - ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
My old searider it was under the seat on the deck in a nominally watertight box. Thing is whenyou get properly swamped, it's amazing how un-watertight you find consoles are! My battyery survived it;s scuba lesson OK, it was the battery switch that died over the next few hours.
ah never did think about the cut off switch being an issue. nice one mate.

Quote:
Other thing to remember is that once swamped, the engine will drop the transom, so if you are hiding it under the wheel, the water level will be below toob top.
that is a good point being a searider the transom will almost be under the water most of the time.

Quote:
I'd make sure it's above toob height, but more so the switch.
smart plan I shall stick the Batt above the tube tops.
Old 07 October 2009, 00:17   #10

Town: telford
Make: shakespeare
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 optimax
i would not bother too much about the battery, i have had electric fence units and batterys completly submerged under a few feet of water for nearly a fortnight and they have been fine, keep the wireing connections to the minimum and solder the joints where you can is more important
Old 07 October 2009, 01:42   #11

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
i would not bother too much about the battery, i have had electric fence units and batterys completly submerged under a few feet of water for nearly a fortnight and they have been fine, keep the wireing connections to the minimum and solder the joints where you can is more important
Wrong. A battery in salt water will be a corrosive disaster in a very short time. From experience and imho, of course.
Old 07 October 2009, 07:51   #12

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
that is a good point being a searider the transom will almost be under the water most of the time.
It was!