Old 18 January 2003, 17:45   #1

Town: Leatherhead
Length: no boat
Battery Charging

Does anyone use the 12S socket (grey one) on their towing vehicle to charge the RIB’s battery whilst towing to the launch site.

This works for caravans on the move so I don’t see why it shouldn’t work for boats – would save much embarrassment after launching.
Old 19 January 2003, 14:54   #2

So the answer must be No then......

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience.
Ribald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2003, 17:11   #3

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad idea, though .

I don't do this for two very good reasons:
1. Didn't have the 2nd socket installed with the tow bar, (as I'm not a caravanner).
2. My sib is maunal start - so no battery on board.

I guess that the only concern is that your vehicle electrics are up to the job - ie loom connection sufficient for charging the battery.
Old 19 January 2003, 18:13   #4

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
we have a 12s socket on one car at the moment (too lazy to put one on another) and it provides power through one pin to caravan fridge and another to the caravan battery - both only whilst on the move. When we go away one car takes the van and another a boat. Never bothered putting a connector in a boat although we have thought about it from time to time. When you wire the car end take the wire direct from the battery terminal but then thru a split charge relay wired to alternator so it only provides power when the voltage is high enough to charge the batteries otherwise you are likely to run the good battery down as the low battery draws charge from it. The fridges take a fair old wack and there have been cars that can't start when they get over the chanel cos the battery has flattened running the caravan fridge throughout the crossing cos the fridge has been wired straight to battery with no split charge relay. Relays/kits available thru caravan outlets or mail order thru towsure. 12s is handy for plugging searchlights etc into.
Old 19 January 2003, 18:14   #5

Boat name: Yes
Make: Assorted
Length: <
Engine: 8m
Not used a grey socket (never had a vehicle with one), but 20/25 years ago set up charging system from a landrover to the boat, needed diode cut outs and a switch for option, i.e. car or boat on charge, not both simultaneously. Mind you no alternators then, only dynamos.
Old 19 January 2003, 18:16   #6

Seems I was typing at the same time as Dave, doesn't look like alternators are any different to dynamos in this respect then !
Old 19 January 2003, 18:37   #7
DM
RIBnet supporter

Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Searider 5.4
Engine: Tohatsu 90
Quote:
Originally posted by Phill
Mind you no alternators then, only dynamos.
Bl**dy hell, Phill, you must be older than Gods dog
Old 19 January 2003, 19:04   #8

Town: Salisbury
Ribald

I always run the outboard on flush at home to test battery before leaving, also means that engine will start on the button at launch when you need it to because it is already slightly warm

better to find a flat battery ay home than on a slip way

always looks impressive as well that engine fires on the button when you see others trying to turn theirs over and over again sometimes struggling
Old 19 January 2003, 19:59   #9

Cheers folks

Thanks for the info - very useful.

My FWD has a 12S socket already fitted and wired (the previous owner towed a caravan).

The reason I was thinking of going down this route is because my RIB is not stored at home and there is no power available where it lives so a top-up charge en route to launching sounds like a good idea.

Looks like God had at least 2 dogs as I was also bought up on dynamos - good old E93A sit-up & beg.
Old 19 January 2003, 20:06   #10

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Ribald

Never tried it but sounds like a good idea. I have an Old Range Rover to tow the boat about (wife does not want to use the other Jeep )
I'll try it and see how it goes
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2003, 22:02   #11

Re: Cheers folks

Quote:
Originally posted by Ribald
The reason I was thinking of going down this route is because my RIB is not stored at home and there is no power available where it lives so a top-up charge en route to launching sounds like a good idea.
Tried a solar panel trickle feed, worked great through a wheelhouse window to keep a 4 cylinder Perkins topped up after one of my mates alternators blew half way through this (insurance) season.
Old 19 January 2003, 22:36   #12

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
Re: Ribald

Quote:
Originally posted by matiboy
I always run the outboard on flush at home to test battery before leaving, also means that engine will start on the button at launch when you need it to because it is already slightly warm
So do i matiboy, but this is a very good idea for those why trail a long way to launch (still best to test-start at home i feel - saves embarrasment) and something i'll bear in mind in the future!

Good idea

Dan
Old 19 January 2003, 23:02   #13

Matiboy - Brilliant idea but no water easily available at the storage site - suppose I could aways take a drum full down with me.

Phill - I had thought about that but the rib is stored under cover and I don't think the farmer would be too keen on me cutting a bl**dy great hole in his barn roof to let some rays in.

Anyway thanks for the ideas lads - I will rig up the 12S socket and let you know how I get on.
Old 20 January 2003, 08:01   #14

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
What are you guys thinking - couple of battery clips on the end of decent size cable to a 12S plug or a more perm. waterproof connector wired into the boat?

Dan
Old 20 January 2003, 12:50   #15

Town: Upavon, Wiltshire
Boat name: Dromedary
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.55
Engine: Honda 130
Hi all

I have one of the ex camel trophy boats and this has a standard trailer socket on the console for charging and if I connect it to my grey socket on the car it charges both batteries OK.

Hope this helps

John
Old 20 January 2003, 13:31   #16

Town: Cheltenham
The fixed waterproof socket all wierd up sounds ideal, giving you home and on route charge options for your electricity hungry gadgets.

My experaince of solar is for smaller batteries for mobile HF radio sets and if you can see bright sky these work well. the flexable pannels can be strappad to you rucksaks while you walk and keep charging all day.

Anyone using solar to tricle charge the boat, what do you need in the way of diodes?

Tiger
Old 20 January 2003, 21:36   #17

I thought that I would put the 12S socket inside the consul - it would not then need to be fully waterproof (unless I get the following sea handling wrong ). It would only be used when trailing so the cable could go in under the helm's seat.

I tried one of those solar charger panels once on an old van I had - it seemed to flatten the battery rather than charge it
Old 20 January 2003, 23:13   #18

Quote:
Originally posted by Tiger

Anyone using solar to tricle charge the boat, what do you need in the way of diodes?
Tiger
Dunno, there's one built in it, and given the weather this year bright sun just hasn't been on the menu.