Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 15 February 2011, 11:02   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: canterbury
Boat name: TT dougal
Make: valiant
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 20
batteries

hi all im after a bit of advise, all boats i have ever had have had standard batteries ie automotive style and never had any problems, now for my rib it will be bounced about a bit and my question is what type do i need, its for a mercury 20 4 stroke, in a valiant 380d sport
__________________

__________________
dougal_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2011, 16:02   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: N. Devon
Boat name: Nutkin Too
Make: X-Pro Defender
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard, Suzuki 90
MMSI: 235095884
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,367
RIBase
I run a leisure batery in mine - bought from a caravan supplier at Highbridge.
__________________

__________________
Andy

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2011, 16:46   #3
Member
 
Hightower's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 7,855
You can buy "Leisure" deep cycle batteries that have good cranking amps too
__________________
Andy

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2011, 06:43   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,610
There is a train of thought here that says it's a 20HP, therefore willprobably have a pull start for emergency use and I bet it is "self sustaining" (i.e doesn't need the battery to stay running once started).

My rib came with a super duper deep cycle heavy duty etc etc battery that I discovered would cost about 120 to replace like for like. One batt failure halfway through helping out at an event and a trip to the local Halfords for their 40 cheap N cheerful battery to keep it all going & I've not had a problem with it since.

A 20Hp won't pull anything like the cranking currents that some of the bigger three figure horsepower machines draw when the key is turned.


I suspect this will cause all manner of "you can't do that" kind of replies, but for a smaller engine in a sub 4m rib, there's almost an argunment for using a motorbike battery & keeping the weight down.
__________________
9D280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2011, 07:27   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 225
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
there's almost an argunment for using a motorbike battery & keeping the weight down.
Agreed. my 1150 cc 80hp boxer Mcycle engine can be started on a bike battery then a modern smaller outboard would be no sweat.
__________________
Starovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2011, 18:30   #6
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starovich View Post
Agreed. my 1150 cc 80hp boxer Mcycle engine can be started on a bike battery then a modern smaller outboard would be no sweat.
Yep, for sure. However, the dimensions of a bike battery may make it hard to keep upright and gel batteries are very expensive.
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2011, 06:14   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 225
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 977
lots of battery boxes out there that can be bolted to a seat or console, remember, bikes in many cases get to much more extreme angles of lean than most boats,so the needs are similar.
__________________
Starovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2011, 15:08   #8
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
There is a train of thought here that says it's a 20HP, therefore willprobably have a pull start for emergency use and I bet it is "self sustaining" (i.e doesn't need the battery to stay running once started).

My rib came with a super duper deep cycle heavy duty etc etc battery that I discovered would cost about 120 to replace like for like. One batt failure halfway through helping out at an event and a trip to the local Halfords for their 40 cheap N cheerful battery to keep it all going & I've not had a problem with it since.

A 20Hp won't pull anything like the cranking currents that some of the bigger three figure horsepower machines draw when the key is turned.


I suspect this will cause all manner of "you can't do that" kind of replies, but for a smaller engine in a sub 4m rib, there's almost an argunment for using a motorbike battery & keeping the weight down.
I use a "jump start pack" which I've 'hard wired' into the boat for my 20HP. Its worked for quite a few years with much neglect and long periods of not being used. Has the bonus of having an isolator switch, plus switched 12 V socket and voltage gauge etc all built in for the same cost as the cheapest battery Halfrauds has in stock!.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2011, 15:21   #9
Member
 
Nasher's Avatar
 
Country: Other
Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Ocean & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzi DT200EFI, DT9.9
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,147
I have two Halfords car batteries in my RIB, an 80AH and a 110AH.

Both are still going strong after 5 years, even with long periods of non use, plus with the Halfords guarantee you can take them back within I think 2yrs if they give up.

I'd suggest the smallest one on the shelf would be suitable.

As already suggested I'd also have a look at motorcycle batteries.
If the tiny battery in my Z1000H can start the old dinosaur it would start your 20HP outboard.

Nasher.
__________________
RIBBED For extra pleasure.
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Member of the Bombard 380 Aerotec club
Nasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2011, 16:03   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Prestatyn
Boat name: Ray fish 2
Make: Caribe
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard Petrol
MMSI: 235085991
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 74
battery

started a thread on batts last month, great advice.. went to car breakers came back with 2 in great nick, fully charged for 10 quid each, thanks boys..
__________________

__________________
rayfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:42.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.