Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 25 July 2012, 16:34   #21
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,928
RIBase
I did my PL2 in a RIB with a low transom and a Rule Auto. As we "reversed" around the mark, the waves were pouring in over the stern. The water level was building rapidly. "Don't worry", said the Instructor "the pump comes on every two minutes so it will start pumping soon!"

__________________

__________________
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2012, 04:45   #22
nik
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: east cowes
Make: academic
Length: no boat
Engine: fresh air
MMSI: N/A
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 540
I have used the whale with the integrated electronic switch and the whale remote electronic switch.
They both worked fine.
The remote electronic switch had an upper and lower sensor.
It would switch on when the upper sensor is covered and switch off when the lower is uncovered. It also had a five second time delay to keep it running after the lower sensor is exposed in order to stop it operating too frequently.
It is connected permanently to the battery so it draws a current to keep the electronics working, but that current is microamps. I left mine connected for weeks and it had no impact on the battery.
All in all I found it worked really well, it replaced a rule one which packed up.
One I used as a bilge pump and the was for a deck pump to get rid of rainwater (the engine compartment was sealed from the deck)
The two types here:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	supersub_smart_650.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	70569  
Attached Images
 
__________________

__________________
nik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2012, 05:38   #23
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I did my PL2 in a RIB with a low transom and a Rule Auto. As we "reversed" around the mark, the waves were pouring in over the stern. The water level was building rapidly. "Don't worry", said the Instructor "the pump comes on every two minutes so it will start pumping soon!"

Had the same in my old boat ( rule auto sensing ) and is so handy to not have to worry about it . It just does its own thing and sorts itself out.....rain water or a bit of wash etc - brilliant and I never had it drain the battery or get blocked or get sand in a switch etc
__________________
PeterM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2012, 19:04   #24
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hypercat
Make: Ringcat
Length: 7m +
Engine: Merc 300
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by nik View Post
I have used the whale with the integrated electronic switch and the whale remote electronic switch.
They both worked fine.
The remote electronic switch had an upper and lower sensor.
It would switch on when the upper sensor is covered and switch off when the lower is uncovered. It also had a five second time delay to keep it running after the lower sensor is exposed in order to stop it operating too frequently.
It is connected permanently to the battery so it draws a current to keep the electronics working, but that current is microamps. I left mine connected for weeks and it had no impact on the battery.
All in all I found it worked really well, it replaced a rule one which packed up.
One I used as a bilge pump and the was for a deck pump to get rid of rainwater (the engine compartment was sealed from the deck)
The two types here:
For anybody that may be interested I have 3 brand new whale pumps shown here for sale (they didnt suit my boat) 25 each
__________________
Simeon Penn

www.sabermarine.com
Trailer Bloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2012, 01:09   #25
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Glasgow
Boat name: snagglepuss
Make: Shetland
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90 hp Outboard
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 562
Hi

I have a whale on our demo boat and the build quality is terrible. The one pictured by Nik above comes apart and you will see the nasty cheap plastic raised lumps that are meant to lock it back together. We have also had it just stopping working even when there was lots of water in the bilge and the batteries were fine.

So if anyone wants one that is badly made and will stop working for no reason please just make an offer. This will be going on a list of worse buys on our website soon along with some makes of so called waterproof switches that corroded in less than 1 year.

Dave
__________________
clydeoutboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2012, 13:25   #26
Member
 
hadd's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Manchester
Boat name: "mr Jingles"
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 130 Etec
MMSI: 235074968
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,388
RIBase
Fitted a new Rule 500 Auto today & is working fine
__________________
hadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2012, 13:44   #27
RIBnet supporter
 
jambo's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,788
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadd
Fitted a new Rule 500 Auto today & is working fine
Glad your sorted Andy
B

Sent from my iPhone using Rib.net
__________________
jambo
'Carpe Diem'
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:17.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.