Old 25 July 2012, 20:34   #21
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
I did my PL2 in a RIB with a low transom and a Rule Auto. As we "reversed" around the mark, the waves were pouring in over the stern. The water level was building rapidly. "Don't worry", said the Instructor "the pump comes on every two minutes so it will start pumping soon!"

Old 26 July 2012, 08:45   #22
nik

Town: east cowes
Make: academic
Length: no boat
Engine: fresh air
MMSI: N/A
I have used the whale with the integrated electronic switch and the whale remote electronic switch.
They both worked fine.
The remote electronic switch had an upper and lower sensor.
It would switch on when the upper sensor is covered and switch off when the lower is uncovered. It also had a five second time delay to keep it running after the lower sensor is exposed in order to stop it operating too frequently.
It is connected permanently to the battery so it draws a current to keep the electronics working, but that current is microamps. I left mine connected for weeks and it had no impact on the battery.
All in all I found it worked really well, it replaced a rule one which packed up.
One I used as a bilge pump and the was for a deck pump to get rid of rainwater (the engine compartment was sealed from the deck)
The two types here:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	supersub_smart_650.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	70569  
Attached Images

Old 26 July 2012, 09:38   #23

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I did my PL2 in a RIB with a low transom and a Rule Auto. As we "reversed" around the mark, the waves were pouring in over the stern. The water level was building rapidly. "Don't worry", said the Instructor "the pump comes on every two minutes so it will start pumping soon!"

Had the same in my old boat ( rule auto sensing ) and is so handy to not have to worry about it . It just does its own thing and sorts itself out.....rain water or a bit of wash etc - brilliant and I never had it drain the battery or get blocked or get sand in a switch etc
Old 26 July 2012, 23:04   #24

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Tinkerbell
Make: Rib
Length: 7m +
Engine: Merc
Quote:
Originally Posted by nik View Post
I have used the whale with the integrated electronic switch and the whale remote electronic switch.
They both worked fine.
The remote electronic switch had an upper and lower sensor.
It would switch on when the upper sensor is covered and switch off when the lower is uncovered. It also had a five second time delay to keep it running after the lower sensor is exposed in order to stop it operating too frequently.
It is connected permanently to the battery so it draws a current to keep the electronics working, but that current is microamps. I left mine connected for weeks and it had no impact on the battery.
All in all I found it worked really well, it replaced a rule one which packed up.
One I used as a bilge pump and the was for a deck pump to get rid of rainwater (the engine compartment was sealed from the deck)
The two types here:
For anybody that may be interested I have 3 brand new whale pumps shown here for sale (they didnt suit my boat) £25 each

www.sabermarine.com
Trailer Bloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2012, 05:09   #25

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: snagglepuss
Make: Shetland
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90 hp Outboard
Hi

I have a whale on our demo boat and the build quality is terrible. The one pictured by Nik above comes apart and you will see the nasty cheap plastic raised lumps that are meant to lock it back together. We have also had it just stopping working even when there was lots of water in the bilge and the batteries were fine.

So if anyone wants one that is badly made and will stop working for no reason please just make an offer. This will be going on a list of worse buys on our website soon along with some makes of so called waterproof switches that corroded in less than 1 year.

Dave
Old 29 July 2012, 17:25   #26

Town: Manchester
Boat name: "mr Jingles"
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 130 Etec
MMSI: 235074968
RIBase
Fitted a new Rule 500 Auto today & is working fine
Old 29 July 2012, 17:44   #27

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadd
Fitted a new Rule 500 Auto today & is working fine
Glad your sorted Andy
B

Sent from my iPhone using Rib.net
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote