Old 04 September 2004, 16:11   #1
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
An electrical question

I have a number of bits of kit on my boat which are capable of taking a 12v "cigarette lighter" lead as power input.
I have a number of cigarette lighter adaptors.
Can I ever remember which is which?
And, as long as the little plug thingy fits the (I am beginning to blush now) ............well you know what I mean-does it matter?
I have noticed a funny little diagram on some of the inputs. I feel they are important somehow.
The objective is to be able to get one "British Standard" 12v recharger for all devices, and then to have a few of them strewn around the boats and cars and therefore be able to plug anything in to any lead.
Can it be done chaps?
Old 04 September 2004, 17:44   #2
DJL

Make: Ribcraft 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF175TG
Hi Brian,

The funny little diagram tells you the polarity of the connector - basically whether the centre of the connector is positive or negative. The diagram below shows a positive centre pin and negative surround.

If all your devices use the same polarity lead then that’s fine, but if they don't and you plug in the wrong lead your likely to do some damage. If you do have both types you could make up a few leads using different coloured wire so you know which is which.

Daniel
Attached Images

Old 04 September 2004, 18:48   #3
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
Thank you Daniel.
I think I shall treasure for ever your intriguing diagram of aliens making love!
Reassuring to know that the basis of my idea is "right".

I feel fairly sure (though why, I dont really know) that the same is NOT true of mains adaptors, which I guess output diferent number of Schwarzerneggers or whatever, depending on the device being powered.
So I wont try that.
Old 04 September 2004, 22:13   #4
DJL

Make: Ribcraft 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF175TG
One thing worth checking is that the 12v cigarette leads which came with your devices don't infact have little transformers in them. In which case it may have 12volts going in but somthing else coming out.

Each device should say what voltage it accepts next to the polarity diagram. If its somthing other than 12v you will need to use the original lead.