Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
I have a Raymarine AIS650 transceiver AIS650 and it has two different ways of "going silent", either by wiring in a switch or by using the multi functional display, there is no switch for turning it off other than cutting the power.
Ours is the same and we have a very neat little switch which prevents transmit but continues to receive. Only when the chart plotter and the brand of the AIS matches up does the ability to silence it from the plotter actually work.
Old 05 September 2011, 08:04   #22

Sounds like lots of potential headaches to come once the technol,ogy gets cheaper and even more people fit it to their leisure craft. I can see the arguments for and against it's use, I can imagine the Condor Vittesse for example out of Poole having to filter leisure boats out otherwise lots of boats would show up through the harbour and down the swash channel which could be confusing clutter. But then again didnt one of the condor boats run over a french fisherman some time ago, I wonder if the fisherman had AIS ?

I guess the ideal situation as many people have commented on would be for leisure boaters to only have it ON at night or in bad visibility, perhaps the RYA should run some awareness courses around when you should use it and when you should not.
Old 05 September 2011, 08:19   #23

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
But then again didnt one of the condor boats run over a french fisherman some time ago, I wonder if the fisherman had AIS ?
Yes indeed, a sad event that and not so long ago. As far as I know the fishing boat had only the minimum spec radar reflector, certainly nothing like AIS.

I might be missing the point, but are all vessels not to be avoided when it comes to collisions? Surely the technology needs to adapt as it becomes more common, rather than small craft just being ignored. As Erin said, icons that reflect the size of vessel and temporary de-clutter button all sound good.

I realise that it is my responsibility to stay out of the way of vessels constrained by their size, but it is also my responsibility to do everything I can to be seen by them.
Old 05 September 2011, 10:15   #24
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channel Ribs View Post
I might be missing the point, but are all vessels not to be avoided when it comes to collisions? Surely the technology needs to adapt as it becomes more common, rather than small craft just being ignored. As Erin said, icons that reflect the size of vessel and temporary de-clutter button all sound good.

I realise that it is my responsibility to stay out of the way of vessels constrained by their size, but it is also my responsibility to do everything I can to be seen by them.
I think thats a good point CR - nobody we would suggest that in the Solent you turn your nav lights off because it creates 'clutter' which makes it harder to spot/recognise the big ships lights - and afterall it is usually your job to get out the way...

...however I think what Anchorhandler is commenting is that since the majority of pleasure craft don't have AIS and there is no plan to make it compulsory - to a ships captain / pilot there is limited value in having some vessels with AIS, the system can only be truely useful if everyone has it, without which he can't rely on what the display tells him. I'm not totally convinced by the argument but I can see the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorhandler
...hmmmmm, interesting..............now what was the telephone number for the patent office?
well whilst you are at it how about adding automatic col regs processing to the system (I assume that AIS includes Constrained by Draft status etc?) so that when a collision alarm is triggered the stand on and giveway vessels are highlighted... ...obviously it would be better if the skipper understood the col regs in action but actually could be a useful learning tool... ...it could also highlight the exclusion zone etc.
Old 05 September 2011, 10:25   #25

Make: Ribcraft
Engine: 300HP Yamaha
What is really annoying is when pleasure boats are at anchor or in a berth or on a mooring buoy, and the are still broadcasting their AIS data. It's just not helpful!!
Old 05 September 2011, 11:01   #26

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
how about adding automatic col regs processing to the system, so that when a collision alarm is triggered the stand on and giveway vessels are highlighted.
And wire it in to the autopilot?