Old 07 May 2009, 10:29   #1

Town: Guernsey
Boat name: Charger
Make: Prosport
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 200HP OB
Yamaha vs Evinrude?

I am looking into a new Ballistic 7.8 and our local dealer (sunsport guernsey) can deliver it from stock with an Evinrude Etec 250 or they can locally fit a Yamaha Four Stroke F250 EFI.

Does anyone have any specific views on these options? I suspect the etec has more grunt, but there is a 5 year warranty on the Yamaha versus 3 on the etec.
Old 07 May 2009, 10:40   #2

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
I suspect you have asked an unanswerable question! ( especially on here) . I have heard good things about both - I like the 4/s Yams personally - but thats what i think it comes down to personal preferance.

I wont even go near the weight / cost/ service / oil / petrol consumption issues.
Old 07 May 2009, 10:43   #3

OK, thanks for your response, I will narrow it down a bit. If service and running costs were equal, which one?

So I guess that leaves performance: ease of getting on the plane, top speed and towing.
Old 07 May 2009, 11:01   #4

Town: Blackpool
Boat name: Magic II
Make: Tohatsu 6.1
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude 115 E-tec
MMSI: 235050189
Send a message via Skype™ to kwil
I suppose that if you look at my profile you would consider me biased but the 3 year dealer services does cut your running costs of the Evinrude and as I understand they also have a 5 year warranty at the moment.

Quote:
UK customers purchasing an Evinrude(®) E-TEC(®) engine from a participating authorised BRP UK dealer will benefit from an extended factory backed warranty.
Applies to customers who purchase a new, unused model year 2009 Evinrude outboard engine 40HP and greater, sold and warranty registered during this period. The extended warranty gives customers a 5-Year Factory Backed Limited Warranty, which includes a 3-year BRP Factory Warranty plus an additional 2-year or 1,000 hours of lifetime usage BRP extended coverage.
Not sure on the details though, its something to do with Evinrude are 100 years old this year.

Keith
Old 07 May 2009, 11:46   #5

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
It's a no contest. If there was a better 250, I'd have bought it.
Old 07 May 2009, 11:58   #6

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Squirrel, you might want to have a look at this thread I started a year ago...
http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?...ghlight=yamaha as I was asking the same question back then.

Ultimately, I bought Yamaha because of the availability of a really good deal (a demo engine from the Hurricane dealer).

I've only put a few hours on the Yamaha since I got it late last season. My initial reaction is that it's quiet, clean, fast, a little heavier than my old 2-stroke, gets great mileage and a is little sluggish out of the hole. (...provoking the E-tec dealer who winterized the engine to comment "I told you so"). I think I have the wrong prop on it though. I am changing props this weekend and I suspect that that will fix that issue.

Part of my decision was based on the comments made to me by the Hurricane dealer (long before his demo engine was available...). He sells every brand of engine as an OEM dealer, and according to his customers wishes. He commented that the Yamahas had proven to be bulletproof, that the Hondas were as well, but overpriced and heavy and that the Etecs were very high performance, but his customers had been having problems with the oiling systems. (He had sold six 150s to a tour company recently and they were considering changing them... BUT, they were using them in the Arctic where sub-freezing use was common.)

Personally, I was overwhelmed by the propaganda provided by the manufacturers. All of the head-to-head comparisons were contrived and meaningless in the real world I felt.

At the end of the day, I wanted a good, reliable, fuel-efficient engine at the best deal I could get... and I was successful I think. Had this deal not been available, and the prices had been comparable??? Hmm, likely I would have gone with the next important factor: LOOKS! My boat is grey on grey, and looks great with the grey Yamaha. It would have looked funny with a white or blue Etec!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	St Lawrence 021.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	42364  

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2009, 12:53   #7

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
2 strokes are my favourite. Modern 2 strokes are just as good on fuel as a 4 stroke but the engines are much lighter.
Old 07 May 2009, 13:41   #8

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
2 strokes are my favourite. Modern 2 strokes are just as good on fuel as a 4 stroke but the engines are much lighter.
Would have to agree with Codpawn,had numerous 2strokes over the years and a couple of 4strokes,the NEW 2strokes i.e e-tecs are awsome,both power AND economy.Pluss haveing just fitted a 130-etec I DID get a five year warranty!Haveing said all that the Yam is a good lump,and alot does indeed come down to personal preference.
Old 07 May 2009, 14:11   #9

Thanks for all the feedback. I am still none the wiser, but I guess there is a message in that as well!

We had a 200hp yamaha 2-stroke on the pro-sport we just sold and I always liked the gruntyness of it, but have not owned a 4-stroke before to compare.
Old 07 May 2009, 20:10   #10

Town: Surrey
Length: no boat
Cant beat a yami
Old 07 May 2009, 20:27   #11

Make: Ballistic 7.8
Engine: 250hp E-Tec
I went from a 4 stroke yam to a 2 stroke and couldnt belive how noisy it is compared to a 4 stroke, pal has a ballistic with the 250 etec and is sick of buying the 2 stroke oil, yes 2 strokes are lighter but not enough to make a big difference on a large rib. love the smell/noise of a 2 stroke but miss the almost silent running and no oil to buy of a 4 stroke.
Personal choice but after you have it hope you will enjoy either one.
Old 17 May 2009, 19:30   #12

Town: Hedge End
Engine: Yamaha
Yamaha every time
Old 17 May 2009, 20:24   #13

Boat name: SOLD
Length: under 3m
On our forth Yamaha Four stroke
never had a probleam
Lansdale marine service 225 F/Strkes that have done 1500 hours of charter work and they are still solid
but thats my view based on my useage, but i bet if you dig deep enough you will get a negative yamaha owner as nothing is perfect, it dose depend on what you want from your engine.
Old 18 May 2009, 10:23   #14

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Our local Rescue boat had a 4 stroke Yam and it never ran right, it got returned to the dealer and the issue never got resolved.
I think if they had used a decent dealer then the problem would have been rectified straight away.
Old 18 May 2009, 14:46   #15
GED

Town: CONWY/CORFU
Boat name: The Full Morty II
Make: Air Craft/Shakespere
Length: 8m +
Engine: Etec 300hp/Etec150hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by outboardtech View Post
Cant beat a yami
Unless its an Etec
Old 18 May 2009, 17:41   #16

Town: Fareham
I would start by going to your local dealer and asking him which one he would prefer? No good in buying a brand and finding out that it's difficult to get a service/parts, meet waranty etc.

I also hate putting 2 stroke oil in the tank. It costs me £70/tank . But I do love 2 strokes.

PS. Can anyone tell the difference in engine noise beween a 4 and 2 stroke when travelling faster that 30 knotts on a RIB?

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2009, 18:04   #17

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
[

PS. Can anyone tell the difference in engine noise beween a 4 and 2 stroke when travelling faster that 30 knotts on a RIB? [/QUOTE]

Got it in one HT antway it is behind you in best Pantomine style.
J
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2009, 19:14   #18

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
My Etec is alot less noisy than my old Opti on tickover, but not as quiet as a Suzuki DF. On the go the Etec is on a par with a DF.
Old 18 May 2009, 20:03   #19

Town: Fareham
I was on one of Andre's boats with a Verado hung off the back once when he cast of a pontoon. I said to him that he should think about fireing up the engine.....He said he'd done that 5mins before

Sometimes Noise is good

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2009, 02:29   #20

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
I would start by going to your local dealer and asking him which one he would prefer?

PS. Can anyone tell the difference in engine noise beween a 4 and 2 stroke when travelling faster that 30 knotts on a RIB?
That was how my shopping started... I went to a dealer that sold Yamaha, Etec and Merc. His comment was to pass on the Optis, the Verados were awesome, but fussy, and that either the Etec or Yamaha would be great engines. (He suggested the Yamaha mainly because I could reuse my gauges, controls and cables... so less $$)

As for noise... I am afraid of "re-starting" my engine while it's already running at the dock. But as you point out Hightower, once you're flying along, all you hear is wind anyway...

I must confess that while I'm accelerating, I am not thrilled with the sound of the engine... It kinda sounds like a little truck!

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote