Click Here to Login

Old 21 April 2012, 14:20   #1

Town: wolverhampton
Boat name: patches & blue bird
Make: avon searider
Length: 6m +
Engine: twin 75's & 90
yamaha the best?????? not so sure!

hi, as some of you have read im after a 90hp outboard for my searider, have always had mercs, last one messed me about so time for a change..... posted wanted advert on here,few replys, nearly bought a evinrude 90 ficht, you all went N00000000!!!!! buy a yam, cant go wrong with a yam etc etc......well......found a year 2000 yam 75, told its the dogs dangly bits, does what it says on the tin, price agreed over the phone, sound on cant wait!

now the story begins, up at the crac of dawn today, even dragged the wife out of bed at 5.30, moaning as they do.... drove the 138 miles/nearly 3 hours to wales to view/see it run/take it away, but on arrival, tilt on engine permanently on, trying to screw it self into back of the boat, first flick of the key, engines starts..magic, but only firing on two cylinders.....plug change later, started up, all ok, runnlng on 3.... but wait, 10 seconds later back on two....rev it,clears its throat....back on 3..... turn off, start again... back on two,idle speed all over the place...etc etc etc.... think you got my drift, as youve guessed ive walked away from this one.... but after all the hype, yams that good??????? not so sure myself, oh and just to confirm, it looked mint, sounded mint when on 3,and wasnt exactly priced cheap either... SO MY QUEST FOR A 90 CONTINUES...PLEASE HELP....THANKS
Old 21 April 2012, 14:48   #2

Town: warrington
Make: Honwave T32
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury 15 2 stroke
Dodgy coil maybe?
Like all engines I suppose you can get a bad'n
Old 21 April 2012, 15:02   #3

Town: ILKLEY & SALCOMBE
Boat name: Scooby
Make: BRIG EAGLE 645
Engine: Evinrude ETEC 175HP
Honda without a doubt, no brainer!
Old 21 April 2012, 15:53   #4

Town: Plymouth
I've got a 2003 Merc 90hp coming in next week but it's a 4 stroke!

Shame about that Yam. Just goes to show how hard they are to find in good order. Makes that original one you found (who wanted to charge you for fitting) seem even better if you ask me

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 21 April 2012, 16:01   #5

Town: bicester
Length: no boat
Engine: outboard only
wouldnt it be cheaper to fix the yam Than buy another obm?But good luck whatever you do.
Old 21 April 2012, 16:16   #6

Town: hampshire
Length: 7m +
if you bought a 12 year old car, you wouldn't be surprised if it needed some tlc. same with outboards, there's probably nothing seriously wrong with the yam but easy enough to get checked out, negotiate with the owner.
Old 21 April 2012, 16:19   #7

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Engine: Yam 150
Crap in the fuel will give any engine problems regardless of make, I would't wright off Yamaha because of an issue with one engine.
Old 21 April 2012, 16:33   #8

Town: weymouth
Boat name: Amelia
Make: Atlantic, Searider's
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225hp, 90hp
I had the same thing with my yammie 75Pro when I first bought it. Ended up needing new CDI, fuel pump, stator, full service as it was sat still for over a year. However after that I have smashed 4500hrs on it an it's still strong as ever. There great engines Jay nee a little love every now and again. (I ran mine for a full season 2 years back without a service, about 1300hrs) it was awesome never skipped a beat. This is why all my boats bar 1 has yamaha 2S 
Old 21 April 2012, 16:40   #9

interesting answers so far, i agree could be something stupid, but when your told runs like a sewing machine, no issues etc etc you expect it to be just that when you go and view it...as for " its 12 years old" yes the age comes into it but you expect it to work , otherwise why would you entertain buying it.... sadly im not into paying out good market value money for an engine then chucking another £500 at it just so it is right, like most people, boating on a budget especially at this moment in time....keep the replys coming, very interested in the replys and experiences... cheers
Old 21 April 2012, 17:06   #10
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Surely the problem here is the lying cheating Vendor, not the poor Motor? He probably took it to the carwash and told it that it had had a full service. When it saw a potential new owner, it's wee heart skipped a beat in joy
Old 21 April 2012, 17:12   #11

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Give this dealer a call, drive to Cornwall, run it on muffs, check compression, check tilt and trim, pay your money, shake hands, drive home, service it, now enjoy it. Job done.
Yamaha 2006 90hp | Second Hand Boats and Engines
Old 21 April 2012, 17:12   #12

"good market value" for a Yam 75hp 2 stroke is not £1,895, currently more like £2,500 so there was scope for repair, especially if the seller would drop to take into account the defects.

I agree with you though if you were told it's running sweet as your bound to be upset having travelled all that way!

Hang in there, something WILL turn up soon

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 21 April 2012, 17:13   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus
Give this dealer a call, drive to Cornwall, run it on muffs, check compression, check tilt and trim, pay your money, shake hands, drive home, service it, now enjoy it. Job done.
Yamaha 2006 90hp | Second Hand Boats and Engines
He's tried that already

Old 21 April 2012, 19:06   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats&Outboards View Post
"good market value" for a Yam 75hp 2 stroke is not £1,895, currently more like £2,500 so there was scope for repair, especially if the seller would drop to take into account the defects.

I agree with you though if you were told it's running sweet as your bound to be upset having travelled all that way!

Hang in there, something WILL turn up soon

according to the dealer thats about the going rate for it on a private sale.....
Old 21 April 2012, 19:46   #15

Town: Plymouth / Portsmouth
Length: 5m +
Must be irritating travelling up and then having issues. Wasnt he willing to negotiate on the price due to the defect? Or did you just turn it down. May have got a bargain if he shfted on the price and it turned out to be something silly. Of course it could have been something nasty too but if he budged a fair amount may have still been a goof buy.

personally I have had nothing but reliability and fantastic performance from Yamahas sounds like it was a one off dont let it change your opinion of them all.

Good luck hunting another one
Old 21 April 2012, 21:08   #16

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats&Outboards View Post
He's tried that already

I know. You know what they say about leading a horse to water....!
Old 21 April 2012, 22:06   #17

sometimes its just not worth the risk, cant afford to risk throwing £2750 away, its time to play the waiting game.........
Old 22 April 2012, 05:53   #18

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: snagglepuss
Make: Shetland
Engine: 90 hp Outboard
Hi

we like yams, a bit over priced new but we would put them in the top 2 of manufactures. I do agree though that travelling any distance to find the item is not as promised is a kick in the teeth and even more so with the high price of fuel we pay.

This though is a problem with a lot of things and not just outboards so please don't be put off yams.

FYI I have an 75 etec in with 75 hours and a mid 90' mercury in (2 stroke mint engine hood has a few scratches that has been on loch lomond for the last 15 years) if that helps pm if interested as I dont want to hijack the thread.

Dave