Town: New Forest
Boat name: Charlie Brown
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 275 Verado
MMSI: 235069179
Send a message via MSN to Zippy
Yamaha running Hot??

My experience with engines is seriously limited to filling the radiator water in my car so need some advice from people who actualy know what they are on about!

I have a 1996 50 hp 4 stroke Yamaha which appears to be running hot. the tell tale jet of water is strong and no alarms are sounding but the engine does seem to be very warm when run for any length of time.

Its being serviced today and they have raised this question. before i fork out a shed load of cash for them to look further, has anyone come across this before?

Thanks in advance.
Howard.
Old 10 December 2004, 08:59   #2

Town: Newark
Boat name: free spirit
Make: viking
Length: no boat
Engine: Outboard Petrol 25hp
Your lack of knowledge and experience is second only to mine!! However, my engine was overheating with alarms going off etc. All the engineer found was a mishapen seal which was slightly interupting the flow of water around the thermostat housing. It would appear it doesn't take much to be wrong with the water flow to lift the temperature. Since fixing it's been OK. Hope this helps in some way, cheers Tone
Old 10 December 2004, 17:17   #3

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy
My experience with engines is seriously limited to filling the radiator water in my car so need some advice from people who actualy know what they are on about!

I have a 1996 50 hp 4 stroke Yamaha which appears to be running hot. the tell tale jet of water is strong and no alarms are sounding but the engine does seem to be very warm when run for any length of time.

Its being serviced today and they have raised this question. before i fork out a shed load of cash for them to look further, has anyone come across this before?

Thanks in advance.
Howard.

Hi Zippy

When you say "ruuning hot" exactly how hot do you mean, for example with the cover removed can you hold your hand on the powerhead whilst the engine is running, does the water comming out of the tel tale get hot to the touch and are you getting any warning alarms sounding after running for a while.

When running correct you should be able to keep your hand on the power head without discomfort but it should feel warm, the water from the tel tale should be cold to luke warm after a long run, mine runs cold even after a few hours at full throttle.
Old 10 December 2004, 17:27   #4

Well.....

Since originally posting this message, Fairweather have serviced her and said there is a problem with the water flow or something.

The tell tale is really strong and gets cold to luke warm when running. the pwoerhead however is hot to touch when the engine is running.

they tested to see if the alarm works (Which it does) so its obviously not getting dangerously hot at the moment. i have the new parts on order but want to use the boat a little bit. this may sound stupid but i have two reasons.....

1 I have only just got the boat and want to use it!!!

2. when the changet the oil it was filthy! really manky so when they do the work i am going to get them to change the oil again. seems logical to use the engine a bit and shake the oil arounf. then when the change the oil it should remove any remaining mank that left in there.

3. I want to play in my boat!!!!

not ideal i know but i know the problem is there so can keep a close eye on it. the alarms are not sounding and they must be designed to come on before it gets to the point of damaging the engine.

Finally, tone. your knowledge isnt that limited! thats almost exactly what the experts told me!!

Thanks
Howard
Old 10 December 2004, 20:22   #5

Zippy

I understand your frustration and wanting to get out on your new boat but be careful, sounds like you impellor is knackered and will need to be changed, i'd suggest getting the engine serviced and having them change the impellor at the same time, if you over heat and seize your engine your in a whole different world of pain, take the overheating as a gypsys warning and stay home until its fixed and given a clean bill of health, trust me i know i've done it and paid the price.
Old 10 December 2004, 20:46   #6

Town: Essex/Vendee
Boat name: shockwave,Voluntry 2
Make: Pac 22/ searider5.4
Length: 6m +
Engine: 180hp turbo,yam 90
thats very good advise how often have we all been out especially in the summer to see many weekenders brake down and tow them back it gets to the point of dispare be safe and do not put your life at risk
Old 10 December 2004, 21:04   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fear
thats very good advise how often have we all been out especially in the summer to see many weekenders brake down and tow them back it gets to the point of dispare be safe and do not put your life at risk
Sound advice, its also worth remembering that not many others are out and about this time of year, unless your going out in company a breakdown could turn into an epic, we were out last weekend and saw absolutely no other boaters about !!!

I dont want to sound boring but consider this bit of advise giving from a well trusted and knowledgable boater ( JK ) If you go to sea with only one engine, then treat that engine like your life depends on it !!!
Old 11 December 2004, 16:12   #8

Town: Herne Bay
Boat name: Rotary Rescue
Make: Pacific 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mermaid 160
MMSI: 235021725
Safety in numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge Rat
Sound advice, its also worth remembering that not many others are out and about this time of year, unless your going out in company a breakdown could turn into an epic, we were out last weekend and saw absolutely no other boaters about !!!

I dont want to sound boring but consider this bit of advise giving from a well trusted and knowledgable boater ( JK ) If you go to sea with only one engine, then treat that engine like your life depends on it !!!
Bilge Rat
Our boat is due to us in the next few days (fingers crossed) so we will be out to play.Will PM when going out.
Old 11 December 2004, 21:38   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul F
Bilge Rat
Our boat is due to us in the next few days (fingers crossed) so we will be out to play.Will PM when going out.
Paul thats great news, i know you've been waiting a long time for it and hopefully it'll do everything you wanted from it, yes let me know when your going out and if we're about we'll come out and take some pics
Old 12 December 2004, 14:06   #10

That was sound advice from everyone there.

Unfortunatly being young and fooling i took a calculated risk and went out. (With company i might add) and all was fine.

Boats booked in for next week to have this sorted and a few other anoying things too so come christmas we should be all ready.

Thanks
Howard
Old 12 December 2004, 20:00   #11

Town: I.O.W/Switzerland
Boat name: HotShot
Make: shakey
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Tohatsu TLDI
SMMMMMMMMMMMMOKIN'!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image0001.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	9631  
Old 13 December 2004, 08:34   #12

I Had a slight rattle on my old Evinrude and someone wiser about boats than me suggested i stop and get it looked at before i went any further, not unsuprisingly i totally ignored him and a day later i punched a hole the size of your fist through the bloack now the old rude sits neatly on top of the skip out the back of the boat yard !!!

True story
Old 13 December 2004, 13:10   #13

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Engine: Yanmar diesel
Hey Richard - so you've got a Yammie now, nice engine. We must meet up again soon... any ideas?
Old 13 December 2004, 13:50   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel
Hey Richard - so you've got a Yammie now, nice engine. We must meet up again soon... any ideas?
Daniel.... Nice to see you back and i still owe you a few beers sometime for you know what

yep the old rude finally gave up on me in big style so i splashed out on a nice shinny 60 HP 4 stroke yammie all i need now is a new boat to go with it.

Everyone's up at Levington this weekend, i'd image you'd be most welcome along if your about, what have you guys been up to lately as you've not been around much ? Hows the Top Bannana going these days ?

take care

Richard
Old 13 December 2004, 20:00   #15

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Engine: Yanmar diesel
Well both Tappy and I have been working harder and harder over the last 6 months and top banana is not really getting the use she deserves. No serious outings to talk of.

Prior commitments this weekend prevent me from being there but have a good one - lets try and arrange a SE RIBster new year cruise? What speed are you getting now Richard?
Old 13 December 2004, 20:00   #16

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: 2XS
Make: Halmatic Pacific 24
Length: 7m +
Engine: 135hp Honda X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimtim
SMMMMMMMMMMMMOKIN'!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Ya Zippy
Good to see you the weekend enjoying yourself.

It's the thermostate, more than likely salted up so they restrict the flow.

www.austinmarine.co.uk
Ian Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2004, 21:16   #17

Hi Ian,

You right there. parts on order and hopefuly in for the work later this week or early next.

Glad to see you got back safe! was great to see you about the weekend and a real shame i couldnt come and enjoy the fantastic hospatilaty and get spannered at the party!

Thanks
Howard.
Old 13 December 2004, 21:31   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel
Well both Tappy and I have been working harder and harder over the last 6 months and top banana is not really getting the use she deserves. No serious outings to talk of.

Prior commitments this weekend prevent me from being there but have a good one - lets try and arrange a SE RIBster new year cruise? What speed are you getting now Richard?
Daniel ....good idea a new year cruise would be good to blow the cobwebs away, the past few weeks have been great out, flat calm and no wind, we even did a night cruise around the island which was great getting back to HB around 6pm

I'm getting about 35 knots from the new engine, i thinks it the maximum for the hull shape as when its flat calm with just me on board at 35 knots it gets a bit twitchy as there's not much hull actually touching the water
The fuel saving is fenominal its costing me about £10 to go out around the island and back again where the old 2 stroke was costing me £25 easilly, i've got an interesting story to tell you about the new engine but it will have to wait till i see you though

Rich
Old 13 December 2004, 21:54   #19

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: 2XS
Make: Halmatic Pacific 24
Length: 7m +
Engine: 135hp Honda X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy
Hi Ian,

You right there. parts on order and hopefuly in for the work later this week or early next.

Glad to see you got back safe! was great to see you about the weekend and a real shame i couldnt come and enjoy the fantastic hospatilaty and get spannered at the party!

Thanks
Howard.
Zippy
I ment to say something in Yarmouth in the pub but events took over .

The party was brill, with little sleep, a little bit of sea air and the drink the brain went into hibernation

Happy winter ribbing

www.austinmarine.co.uk
Ian Austin is offline   Reply With Quote