Old 03 April 2007, 07:58   #1

Town: Aylesbury
Length: no boat
Yamaha RPM

I have a 2004 60hp 4 stroke Yamaha with carbs - it has a digital RPM gauge so I don't know on a scale what it revvs to? - Nothing like a needle to show you where you are and where you should be! - anybody know what the max is and what a comfortable cruising rpm is???
Old 03 April 2007, 08:27   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavecrosschris View Post
I have a 2004 60hp 4 stroke Yamaha with carbs - it has a digital RPM gauge so I don't know on a scale what it revvs to? - Nothing like a needle to show you where you are and where you should be! - anybody know what the max is and what a comfortable cruising rpm is???
You should find the spec here: http://www.yamaha-motor.co.uk - likely to be around 5000-6000 rpm at WOT.
economical cruising speed will depend on your boat / set up / load / prop etc.
Old 03 April 2007, 16:56   #3

Town: Oakland CA
Quote:
Not meaning to throw a wrench in the works, but an analog tach wouldn't necessarily mean all that much anyway. It's pretty common that they are a mix-and-match kind of accessory, depending on what the purchaser thinks looks good for that application.

Polwarts suggestion of going to the source is best. However, seeing as his link doesn't work (at least from this side of the pond), I'll give you another:

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard...d_manuals.aspx

Enter the year and model, and you get the owners manual on-line. back up a bit and you can get the parts list for the motors as well.

jky
Old 03 April 2007, 18:07   #4

Town: Dorset
Boat name: Pending
Make: Pending
Yamaha 60

Quote:
Hi Wavecrosschris,
I have a 2007 Yamaha 60 4/ injection & the book gives it 5000>6000rpm WOT if thats any help.....not really i know. I would say economical cruising you would want to be somewhere around 3800>4300rpm ish (prob about 22>26knts) but that would depend on the conditions/boat & load.
Regards Mike.

The Titanic was built by professionals - The Ark was built by one man!
www.aqua-care.co.uk
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 April 2007, 18:49   #5

Town: Aylesbury
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
Hi Wavecrosschris,
I have a 2007 Yamaha 60 4/ injection & the book gives it 5000>6000rpm WOT if thats any help.....not really i know. I would say economical cruising you would want to be somewhere around 3800>4300rpm ish (prob about 22>26knts) but that would depend on the conditions/boat & load.
Regards Mike.
Thanks guys, yes it seems the latest fuel injected model revs no differently to the carb one - 5-6k is what the manufactures have slapped across everything - so far the last couple of times ive used it I havent had full rpm i dont think, but ive have it up around 5300. I think just over 4000 gives about 20knots and the ribs only small so im quite happy with that!

cheers

Chris
Old 03 April 2007, 22:11   #6
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
However, seeing as his link doesn't work (at least from this side of the pond), I'll give you another:
jky - strange it works for me - but so does yours, so presumably not some clever geographic filter?
Old 04 April 2007, 15:36   #7

Town: Oakland CA
Polwart: Don't know. Might have been a bunch of morning (here) cross-Atlantic traffic or something. Not really too worried about it.

jky