Town: Portsmouth(ish)
Boat name: Wings
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha F115 AETL
RIBase
Yamaha F115 for a Newbie!

Hi all,

I have just bought a RIB for the first time (despite having used RIBs for a number of years). It has a Yamaha F115 four-stroke with 192 hours on it. I have a few questions regarding checks, regular "user" maintenance and post-outing maintenance.

Basically, what do I need to regularly check (and how!), anything I need to regularly maintain/clean/grease, and what do I need to do to the engine when I get back home after a day on the water? (I'll be using it pretty much year round, mainly in the sea).

Sorry for the daft questions, but I'd rather ask than ruin an expensive "lump"!

Thanks.
Old 14 October 2013, 15:22   #2

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Personally, once a year, I do the engine and lower unit oil, in-line fuel filter (little plastic bulb with the orange water indicator on the upper starboard side), spark plugs.

About the same time, I generally think about doing the impeller, but don't have too much worry about letting that go another year. Ditto with the Racor (external canister type fuel filer/water separator.) You should probably also pull the prop and grease things up in there at the same time (I don't as I switch out props a couple of times during the year when I run in skinny water.)

Every couple/three months, I hit all the zerk fittings on the motor swivels with marine grease. You'll need a bunch of paper towels to clean up the ooze if you do it right.

And last, when I think about it (which isn't all that often these days), I hose off the power head, and spray down all the shiny bits with Boeshield.

This was from when I was putting 100 to 150 hrs/year on the boat.

Hope this helps;

jky
Old 14 October 2013, 15:25   #3

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
What was said above - and take pleasure/ reassurance form the fact that your engine is (bar a few special tweaks) the same as the RNLI use on the latest Atlantic ILBs which can only be a good thing
Old 14 October 2013, 15:42   #4

RIBase
Thanks for the advice guys. I just need to find where those bits are and I'm sorted!

But seriously, I'll start to find my way around it once I take delivery next weekend and start investigating (tinkering) with it. Not that I had a choice on the engine, but it sounds like the previous owner went for the right one - and the RNLI is recommend enough for me!
Old 14 October 2013, 19:49   #5

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovey View Post
Thanks for the advice guys. I just need to find where those bits are and I'm sorted!
Plugs are under the black cover at the back of the engine (follow the spark leads if you get lost.) Oil drain plug is in the rubber pour drain at the back, just above the lower unit join. Leg oil are the two flat-head screws - one on the side of the "bullet", one about 8 inches above. Fuel filter I already explained (and I think even correctly.)

Grease fittings you'll find by raising the motor and looking around the parts that swivel: steering tube (the upright one the motor pivots around while turning), and tilt tube (the one that pivots when tilting.) There are about 5 or 6 of them but some go into the same space as others, as I recall.

jky
Old 15 October 2013, 07:10   #6

Town: Cambs
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Opti
There are some great yamaha servicing videos on youtube.
Old 15 October 2013, 08:50   #7

RIBase
Thanks everyone, it's helping to know there are some good guys out there with lots of knowledge! I'm sure I'll be back asking for more later, but this should be enough to get me started.