Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 02 July 2011, 08:14   #1

Town: southampton
Make: ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140 suzuki
Yamaha F100DETL Engine warning light

The engine warning light started flashing on the circular instrument dial (picture of engine lump and fan!). Slowed down and stopped, engine off etc. Restarted and it stopped flashing carried on for a few mins, flashing again. Headed for home.

At all time engine working perfectly. No shutting down or decreasing revs.

Marine engineer plugged in laptop at marina and no faults showing. Still intermittently flashing??????????? Gave me all clear to keep on using it, if still does it would take a more in depth look.

Has anyone had a similar problem or perhaps can shed some light on it for me, thanks.
Old 02 July 2011, 19:51   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
I am not an expert, I use Yam 100 also and have 150 plus 250, but I understand that you need to count the flashing frequency so then the engineer and look up Yam books and that telss what is happening, i.e 3 quick flash then four quick flash. It is the frequence of the engine warning light that will identify the issue. I also have seen similar and it was only a loose battery connection but this was identified by counting flashing sequence. If you are able to check by Monday I am going to Yamaha Monday to collect a boat so will ask for you if marine engineer is flumoxed
Old 03 July 2011, 10:14   #3

Town: Surrey
Length: no boat
Firstly whats the serial number of the engine?? Send me the serial number. We have had a few issues on this happening and plugged the YDS into it and nothing showing up. Try disconnecting the main wiring harness plug at the engine and while this is disconnected turn the ignition key to the on 12v position. Reconnect the loom. OK if this dosent solve it then if this engine is on the dig network system it could be a faulty gauge or a faulty junction box. We have had this issue on the same thing but the trim gauge flashing and everything checks out and works ok. Let me know
Old 03 July 2011, 10:54   #4

Firstly the engine number is; 6D91001168
Purchased new 23/03/05.

Hi c2ribs, will hopefully get down on Monday and work out the sequence of lights and try and post you results. (From memory three slow flashes long pause, three more flashes, but that is now a best guess!) Engineer did say sequence was important to work out problem, but guess didn't let me in on his thoughts. He reckoned when laptop plugged in and engine running that temperature was low, and that the thermostat may be stuck open, but was not that important and with a bit of use ie trip over to Cowes, may free up.

Apart from that engine given a clean bill of health.

Hi outboardtech. Again will try your suggestion disconnecting harness etc. Monday. I guess that is some way of resetting the 'brain'. Again I did suggest to Engineer resetting when plugged in, which he said he tried and made no difference.
I was reluctant to go out again as it will be just my luck it will turn out to be a more serious problem, but the more I think about it, I just think that it is just an 'overly complicated sensor' issue. Life would be so much simpler if we didn't have so many flashing lights and alarms going off.........

The boat will go into emergency trawl I have been told if the problem is major.........again doesn't give me a lot of confidence when out and about with the kids.

Thank you both for showing an interest, much appreciated.
Simon
Old 04 July 2011, 16:23   #5

Hi C2ribs

Having had a blast over to the I of W today, only on the return did the lights start flashing, this time I was looking out for that sequence.

4 flashes, pause, 9 flashes.

This repeated all of the time and was the same sequence through out.

I hope this gives someone an idea what this means for fault code.

Thanks
Simon
Old 04 July 2011, 16:36   #6
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
I was at Yamaha earlier so did not have this, I have asked the man who knows which is Mark at MB, who I think you know. He is best man to sort this for you. Hope that helps
Old 04 July 2011, 16:38   #7

Sorry outboardtech I didn't manage to disconnect the harness as when I left for the Island today, no flashing engine light. Only started as I got back into the Itchen.
Old 04 July 2011, 16:45   #8

Yes it was Mark, very helpful at MB. Although at the time we both did not count this flashing sequence.
The internet does not pull up much regarding these Yamaha's.
Old 05 July 2011, 17:33   #9

Could only find this for motor bikes;

http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/attac...2&d=1147707042

With the elusive code 49 not on there
Old 05 July 2011, 21:05   #10

Town: Surrey
Length: no boat
Code 49

hI, I know for sure in the top of my head code 49 is Over Cooling . Engine is running to cold. Get this checked out soon by a tech as an OB running to cool will give you problems. i had a 250 Yami this year that had milky colour oil in it and what this boiled down to was the engine was sweating and there was alot of moisture on the powerhead. And the engine was sweating due to two bad thermostats in both cylinder heads. Replaced these and engine back up to normal temp.Replaced oil and flushed engine out. Alot of guys remove thermostats on OB engines and this is a bad thing , they are there for a reason. WHo ever services your OB should really be checking this every year. get the tech to plug YDS back in and see what the temp is?? should be between 58-65C on opening temp and 70C fully open. This can all been shown on the YDS. If your tech has the YDS ask him to save a PDF file and print it off for you. Good luck
Old 05 July 2011, 21:35   #11

With what you say and MB, it looks like the running temperature is too low.

Thermostat must be stuck open and therefore CDi (Brain) not able to regulate/modulate temperature to pre-determined requirement, so sets off warning light.

Seems to happen after long periods of trawling, when engine is maybe not getting that hot. Perhaps starting to make sense
Old 11 July 2011, 15:58   #12

Just to conclude this thread.

With MB and Outboardtech pointing to the thermostat, once told where it was, I took off the thermostat housing, two 10mm bolts (top of engine under plastic cover) and there was the little bugger stuck open crusted in salt. WD40, quick clean up and it popped shut

How satisfying was that

So Yamaha code 49 = engine over cooling.

Thanks to you all