Old 18 May 2004, 20:23   #1

Town: SOUTHAMPTON AREA
Boat name: none
Make: bombard sib
Length: 3m +
Engine: petrol 15/3.5
Yamaha f100 owners

Can any owners of this type of outboard who trail there boats,with the outboard tilted tell me how they support the outboard.
The locking pin is not up to the job,should I rely on the hydraulics?I can see no way of using an engine support strut as the roller arm is to far under the boat(its back as far as it can safely go),I tried a steel bar covered in pipe but this marked the outboard backet after 2 short (8 mile)trips,I dont have an A-frame to suspend it from.
I have followed the other thread marked engine support strut but was after experiences specific to this outboard.
The dealer so far has not been able to come up with any workable solution.
Yamaha just refer to the manual saying trail with the engine down or use an engine support strut.
Old 18 May 2004, 21:16   #2

Town: London
Length: no boat
I trail mine all over the country on the tilt support lever and must admit haven't given it any thought, after all, hydralics are a pretty safe back-up.

Rich L
Old 18 May 2004, 22:18   #3
JCW

Town: Essex
Boat name: Inflatable
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Yamaha F6
Send a message via AIM to JCW
We have trailed with the outboard in the down position. However we currently have a problem where the leg creeps down after some time. So we have been trailing using the support arm. The trim and tilt unit is currently under investigation at a Yamaha dealer. They have said that our problem is the first they have seen of this type on the F100 trim and tilt mechanism. The Yamaha technical support team have not yet been able to diagnose the fault.
Will let you know the outcome.

JCW
JCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2004, 05:37   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich L
I trail mine all over the country on the tilt support lever and must admit haven't given it any thought, after all, hydralics are a pretty safe back-up.

Rich L
Thanks for that,very interesting because I have only done short trips,the engine was new in march and the locking pin is now badly bent,the dealer has agreed to try to find a solution but did warn me at the 10 hour service not to use the pin as it was showing signs of wear,however with no other workable suggestions?apart from the bar I have already tried.
Old 19 May 2004, 08:47   #5

Town: York/Kingsbridge
Boat name: No Nonsense
Make: Prosport
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250hp
I have the F100 and have travelled many miles with it tilted. Am I doing damage?
Old 19 May 2004, 09:28   #6

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
What exactly happened, Timboli?
What damage occured - to the bracket or pivot pin?
Are there two supports (one either side)?
Do you "power down" the engine onto the support bracket(s) after clicking them down?
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2004, 19:38   #7

Town: Lochgilphead
Boat name: Rannsachair
Make: Shetland Alaska
Engine: Suzuki DF50 and F4
On my F115, I always wedge it by lowering the engine onto a block of wood so the cylinder does not take the load of the engine.

I assumed the engine bouncing about on the trailer would generate some high pressures in the cylinder and potentially allow the engine to drop due to leakage on longer trips.
Old 19 May 2004, 21:36   #8

Town: Ardnamurchan
Boat name: Out of the Blue
Make: Ribcraft 585
Engine: Yamaha 100
MMSI: 235 079 253
I have trailed thousands of miles with my F100. I just put the engine on the support lever and lower the engine onto it so that it does not bounce around. I have always assumed that the support lever was up to the task. Anyone know what Yamaha has to say about it?
Old 20 May 2004, 05:39   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
What exactly happened, Timboli?
What damage occured - to the bracket or pivot pin?
Are there two supports (one either side)?
Do you "power down" the engine onto the support bracket(s) after clicking them down?
The pin which rotates in the engine mount appears to have bent so that the bracket is now bent out at a strange angle.There is only one on the 100,two on the 115.I do power down the engine onto the support bracket.

I cannot see how to use a block of wood as the hydraulic ram is in the way,and if I use a wider block of wood,it slides down the mount as I attempt to lower the engine on to it-it doesnt wedge in place,the metal bar I tried was in font if the hydraulic ram.

The latest advice is to repair or replace the pin-would be replaced under warranty-and use the ram to support the engine,using the support bracket as a safety measure only with no pressure on it,but in case the ram slips,apparently if the engine does work its way down a bit,it shouldnt mean a problem.
Old 20 May 2004, 08:59   #10

I spoke with Yamaha UK...

the "official" line is travel with the engine down but using a support - that they don't supply. Or alternatively, use a piece of wood. Tilt the engine, stick the 2x2 under the engine spanning the brackets, then lower the engine, trapping the wood. You shouldn't rely on the bracket (which I have done for the past year!).
Old 21 May 2004, 17:00   #11

Town: Ardnamurchan
Boat name: Out of the Blue
Make: Ribcraft 585
Engine: Yamaha 100
MMSI: 235 079 253
I am gutted to learn that, having parted with the best part of £6,000 for a Yamaha F100, my engine in not equiped for towing? You would think that the engineers at Yamaha could usefully employ their time coming up with a solution to such an obvious problem rather than expecting customers to fashion a support bracket for themselves. Are other outboards also lacking in such an obvious accessory?
Old 04 July 2004, 08:03   #12

Just wondered what the outcome to his thread was. Has anyone managed to find/fashion a bracket? Who relies just on the hydraulics? I have a long journey looming next weekend and would like to make sure I get it right.
Old 04 July 2004, 08:21   #13

Sorry no answers,I just rely on the hydraulics now,with the pin down in case they slip,but have only done short journeys,I have a trip to devon looming in August and am not entirely happy.
Old 04 July 2004, 08:31   #14

Not sure what you mean when you say pin down? Do you mean the bracket? But that will only spin in to place with the enngine fully tilted. I have travelled with it just above the lightboard (short journey) - but this was unsupported. Tried the wood but it slips out. Next trip is 330 miles!!
Old 04 July 2004, 09:48   #15

Yes,I put the support pin/bracket in the down position when the outboard is fully tilted,but I do not lower the outboard onto the support pin/bracket as originally shown by the dealer.
My boat is quite low on the trailer and if I lower the outboard onto a block of wood to the point where the block of wood is gripped,the skeg is only about a foot off the road.
Old 05 July 2004, 10:47   #16

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
We've one on our 5.5m Delta. Towed it on long tows (live in Leicester) as yet no problem. One thought did occur to me if you back the ram off i.e. drop engine down onto engine support bracket and them some more, what stops engine bouncing upwards and then crashing back down onto ram with full wieght. Is this what could have totaled yours timboli?

Also people appear to be less than sure of relying on the seals in the rams themselves to support engine are the forces involved alot more than when the engine is in the water doing its job surely its pushing aginst the ram then (or is the load shared now on trim rams?).
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 July 2004, 11:30   #17

Town: bath
Boat name: scoobydoo
Make: scorpion
Length: 8m +
I trailed an F100 for 2 years. Gave up on support lever as it was prone to bending. end up with engine in up position on hydraulics with straps holding engine to transom bracket to stop any bounce. Never had a problem with hydraulics loosing pressure. trailered boat long distances.
Old 05 July 2004, 11:47   #18

Town: Carigaline/Baltimore
Boat name: XS-600
Make: XS-Ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc Optimax 150 XL
This may be worth a look.

http://www.attwoodmarine.com/Product...nd+Accessories

Personally, I've always used the engine tilt support bracket on every engine I've had even though the owners manual says otherwise. It's never gone wrong or shown any signs of bending, or cracking (remember Irish roads aren't as nice as yours!!). I've only ever owned Mercurys though so I guess the Yamaha bracket isn't as strong.
Old 05 July 2004, 17:44   #19

I have had further thoughts and have decided to try a smooth metal bar,covered in hose pipe and bent in a banana shape to fit through the gap behind the ram when the engine is tilted right up.I will also try strapping the engine down.
All of my trailing to date has been short distance over some roughish roads-not tracks,proper roads but not the best surface.
A friend at work has just replaced his caravan as it literally shook to bits,it was 2 years old and he trails with a 4x4-an isuzu trooper lwb.
In the owners manual for his new caravan,they strongly suggested that he fit a sprung towbar?
Apparently all 4x4 vehicles should use one for all types of trailer-anyone else heard this?Certainly the ride in my jeep cherokee is a lot worse when towing.
Old 08 July 2004, 04:29   #20

My mate has had the sprung towbar fitted,seems he needed a new towbar as well,the sprung part is made by Dixon Bate,it has 2 springs and 2 dampers apparently.The cost of the sprung part was about £350.