Old 18 October 2006, 23:10   #21

Town: Barry
Boat name: Spirit of Cardiff
Make: Delta
Length: 10m +
Engine: Inboard Yamaha Diese
Yamaha diesel and stern drive

In answer to the following questions and observations:
Craig c: My question pointed to, do they, Red Bay and all other suppliers and installers, Delta, Scorpion etc,etc actually know this information. If so are they still producing, for instance, commercial boats with these engines. Does a potential customer negotiate his engine/leg warranties with the supplier/installation company. Is the potential customer informed that the Manufacturer of said units will not issue a warrantee etc,etc. Please allow me to lightly present these questions. There is no substance or facts to be deliberated here, simple laymans thoughts. Perhaps a better idea would have been to pose the general questions on this subject to commercial operators using these new units? (Yamahas answer to follow).
Secondly, in answer to your part 2 question, the answer is a catorgoric "Yes" Red Bay keep a close watch on this site and scruitinise any relevant threads. May I also add that this is to be commended, keeping a close watch and receiving a good feel for their industry. In actual fact it may surprise you to learn that a good majority of RIB Builders and operators, large and small monitor this forum.

Ezgoing:Your suspicions are probally correct, Red Bay more than likely do not post on this site? Your comments about the site are totally agreeable however I cannot agree with you regarding the bias it may introduce! I personally feel that it would be most enlightening to have the likes of this company and others answer some or all of our general queries in full. Surely you would prefare your queries answered from the coalface/horses mouth, so to speak? That is a general statement, my own opinion! Yes, we are currently contacting a number of suppliers/installers.

Polwart: Would'nt I just love to have funds for a purchase! I totally disagree with you in relation to them or any other company answering relevant, pertinant questions regarding their industry! My original point was, Yamaha did in the past issue warrantees etc for private and commercial use. Reading all the excellent information I have received, I understand the rating being lowered etc,etc. My concern is, are potential purchasers, aware and informed properly regarding all this info, not only by Yahaha but also the suppliers and installers? Simple and conclusive, thank you.

Yamaha statement: THEIR NEW RANGE OF ENGINES. 245,275,315 series :
The only engine and drive in this series to have a commercial warranty is the 245. Their 275 and 315 are not warranted for commercial use at all. Yamahas statement is clear and informative. I thank all who contributed for their constructive comments and hope that this thread was of some use to other site members.
Old 19 October 2006, 08:10   #22

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
You might like to reconsider changing the name of your boat. To my knowledge the name is register to me and until I report the craft as a total loss she still carries the name "Spirit of Cardiff"
see www.spirit-of-cardiff.com
Alan P
Old 19 October 2006, 08:56   #23

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Priddy View Post
You might like to reconsider changing the name of your boat. To my knowledge the name is register to me .....
...Or you can call it exactly what you like. There is no requirement for the name to be unique for SSR registration……
Old 19 October 2006, 09:50   #24

Yamaha Diesel Sterndrive.

Allun P. I will most certainly consider your request. The hull in question is old and was purchased as such. On completion of renovation etc, whenever I reach that glorious stage the old name will be reconsidered. I have seen many boats in the past with the same identical names, perhaps yours came from this hull or another boat in the past!

Regarding the original question, Yamaha diesels and sterndrive.
I ommitted in my last thread, and I apologise for this, Yamaha have also stated that there will be a commercial engine (specifically for commercial use) available next year with full commercial/leisure warrantees and guarantees. It was stated that the power output will be in the region of 300hp. I sincerely hope that all this information will be of use to potential buyers inc possibly myself in the future. HERE ENDITH THE THREAD.
Old 19 October 2006, 10:07   #25

Boat Names.

Interesting point raised by Allun P, ref boat names. I have now just been made aware of three boats in my locality with the same names. Surely you can call a boat the name of your preference as long as it is not rude or offensive. Can, Allun P, have sole rights to a name? Strange thread from him considering the subject matter of the thread he was replying to! Yamaha engines etc,etc?
Old 19 October 2006, 13:43   #26

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
May I ask why you are called MATAL instead of Metal???
Old 19 October 2006, 13:47   #27

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matal Mickey View Post
Interesting point raised by Allun P, ref boat names. I have now just been made aware of three boats in my locality with the same names. Surely you can call a boat the name of your preference as long as it is not rude or offensive. Can, Allun P, have sole rights to a name? Strange thread from him considering the subject matter of the thread he was replying to! Yamaha engines etc,etc?
Err? See my post above.....
Old 19 October 2006, 14:16   #28
mdt

Town: fife
Make: Humber / searider
Length: 5m +
MMSI: ... - - - ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
May I ask why you are called MATAL instead of Metal???
No as it has nothing to do with Yamaha Sterndrives please use the correct section “other stuff” for these non engine related posts.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh it is catching.
Old 19 October 2006, 14:56   #29

Town: Inverkip
Boat name: Crusader
Make: Redbay 8.4 Exped
Length: 8m +
Engine: yamaha sterndrive
RIBase
I'm sorry but show me a thread on which Redbay have scruitinsed!!!
Old 19 October 2006, 14:57   #30

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
Lets just say I have in interest in peoples views on Yamaha stern drives.
www.spirit-of-cardiff.com and yes you are right, you can call a boat what you like. The name was lucky for right up until the rescue!!
And my name is ALAN as in English and not Allun as in Welsh
Alan P
Old 20 October 2006, 12:22   #31

Town: Inverkip
Make: Redbay 11m Cabin
Engine: 2 x Yamaha422Sti 275
Is it not more important how any claims are dealt with rather than what is written down on paper?
My dealings with both Yamaha and Redbay have always been a pleasure, any genuine manufacturing fault has been dealt with swiftly to both parties satisfaction, wish the same could be said for some other manufactures who promise the whole 9 yards but fail to deliver, prefering to look for a way out of settling stating operating conditions etc etc, some on engines and drives under 200 hours .

As has been said before if you want the true picture speak to those who use the engines on a daily basis.
HTH
Andy
Old 20 October 2006, 19:41   #32

Yamaha engines and stern drives

Andy Gee: Thank you for your response. If only the world were as seen through you eyes! Yes , you are so correct in your statement regarding "how claims and aftersales are dealt with". Congratulations with your dealings concerning supplier and installer, good to hear. I'm sure if you were privvy to other customers dissatisfactions, your opinion would most certainly be, shall we say, different. You appear to be pointing a finger (so to speak) at some bad practices elsewhere, please do inform all of us rather than a vague critism, for all to benifit from your wisdom. No doubt you and other owners are the men to talk to using these units daily? However regarding the actual subject and all you have stated, would you still buy them "Yahaha units etc" or for that matter any other general item, for instance a car or van, without any warranty, towards your application of said items??? Just a thought!