Old 23 October 2004, 09:51   #1

Town: Newark
Boat name: free spirit
Make: viking
Length: no boat
Engine: Outboard Petrol 25hp
Yamaha Autolube

I am a novice and own a 25 NEO, 25hp Yamaha Autolube outboard 1990. Just recently whilst out, the alarm has gone off indicating the oil tank is low, which it isn't. This cuts the engine revs to tickover. Judging by the smoke in the exhaust the oil is getting through OK, and there is a strong stream of water coming from the cooling system, engine not overheating. The alarm only comes on after approx 1 hour's running, not paticulary heavy work, and then again fairly quickly after resetting. Anyone any idea's where to start looking
Old 23 October 2004, 15:10   #2

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Tone, the bigger Yams have the sender unit on a stalk in the engine oil tank. It looks like a brass slider on the stalk. Is it stuck ? also there should be a brass screw to bleed the oil pump, by just releasing it oil and any air bubbles will escape from the pump and then just tighten up, carefully its only brass.

Curious its after an hours running, how old is the oil in it ? and was it quicksilver ? or is the oil contaminated ?

Pete
Old 23 October 2004, 15:24   #3

Hi Pete, thanks for your reply. The oil is new, and yes it is Quicksilver. Judging from the half empty bottles the guy before had used Motorbike 2-stroke. Originally I had topped up and unwittingly mixed it with the Quicksilver. Thinking that may have caused the problem I syphoned the oil out and replaced with fresh Quicksilver Marine. I have examined the stalk containing the float, it appears to be OK. Is the washher on the end of the stalk significant? It looks a bit worn. I will look for the brass bleed nut. Should I switch from Quicksilver? Thanks for your help again
Old 23 October 2004, 17:36   #4

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Tone, the washer on the end is a circlip, how did that get worn surounded in oil ? the brass slider, it is on the right way round ? and not upside down ? if the circlip shows signs of wear has the previous onwer been playing with it?

Stick to quicksilver not the cheapest but works. Motorclycle 2 stoke oil isn't suitable for an outboard they run at different temperatures.

Can't remember if the pump can be stripped,

Pete
Old 24 October 2004, 09:41   #5

Pete, when I took the float mechanism out of the oil chamber it appeared to be a self contained unit, looking a bit like a large syringe with a locating nozzle at the base approx 1 inch long. Around the nozzle end is a foam type of washer, haven't come accross the circlip yet. I've got a manual on order which hopefully may point the way, and fill in the gaps in between the splattering of knowledge I have. Thanks again, Tone
Old 10 December 2004, 09:02   #6

Just a footnote for anyone reading. After the engineer had worked on it, it turned out to be an overheating problem, due to a mishapen seal which interfered with the flow of water on the outward flow, around where the thermostat is. It appears you don't need much to be wrong with the water flow to lift the water temperature. Cheers Tone.
Old 10 December 2004, 19:29   #7

Town: Dublin & Enniscrone
Boat name: K'adó
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 300
Hi guys

Has anyonr come accross a reasonable supplier for Autolube.........or a good alternative?

rgds