Old 25 September 2009, 09:11   #1

Town: liverpool
Make: avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: yamaha 90
yamaha 90 fuel consumption

hi all
i've been reading the forums for a while now and now its time for my first post. i've got a 5.4m avon searider with a yamaha 90 2 stroke (2000) and while it runs like a dream and performance is good the fuel consumption seems high. i was out on anglesey at the weekend with the rib and my mate also had his out (osprey eagle 5.6m with a 75 suzuki) and whilst out i used nearly 50% more fuel than him. what i was wondering was is the combination of the searider and yamaha a particularly bad combination for fuel economy or do i need to get the engine checked out which i am a bit reluctant to do as apart from the fuel consumption it runs faultless. previous to this i had an osprey eagle myself with a 115 mercury on the back and in comparison to the suzuki 75 it was only about 10% more in fuel for the same running. any help and Suggestions would be Appreciated.
Old 25 September 2009, 10:18   #2
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Quote:
Originally Posted by davediver View Post
hi all
i've been reading the forums for a while now and now its time for my first post. i've got a 5.4m avon searider with a yamaha 90 2 stroke (2000) and while it runs like a dream and performance is good the fuel consumption seems high. i was out on anglesey at the weekend with the rib and my mate also had his out (osprey eagle 5.6m with a 75 suzuki) and whilst out i used nearly 50% more fuel than him. what i was wondering was is the combination of the searider and yamaha a particularly bad combination for fuel economy or do i need to get the engine checked out which i am a bit reluctant to do as apart from the fuel consumption it runs faultless. previous to this i had an osprey eagle myself with a 115 mercury on the back and in comparison to the suzuki 75 it was only about 10% more in fuel for the same running. any help and Suggestions would be Appreciated.
Welcome to RIbnet
A 90HP Yam seems to be the motor of choice for the 5.4SR. HAve you still got the flooding hull on your SR? If so and you come on and off the plain allot you will find it drinks the fuel.
At one point I was using 50L an hour with my Yam 115 on the searider but I have since learned how to best use the engine to get max fuel economy and that figure has dropped a hell of allot.
Your not a million miles from me, where in Liverpool are you?
Old 25 September 2009, 10:59   #3

Town: liverpool
Make: avon
Engine: yamaha 90
hi mate thanks for the reply.
yes i have still got the flooding hull open, i do not tend to be on and off the plane when out as i'm usually heading for a specific dive site so i tend to get on the plane and motor out. although i quite often chug about at low speed to get an exact gps position when finding a dive site. and unless the flooding hull is a major fuel gobbler i would like to keep it open as it makes for an excellent dive platform.
as i say it was just in comparison to my mates and previous rib that i thought it was a bit heavy, if it is the norm i'll bite the bullet so to speak and live with the extra fuel cost. (till i can save up enough for a 4 stroke anyway )
by the way i'm in huyton and go out around the north wales coast.
were do you get out on your rib ?
Old 25 September 2009, 11:14   #4
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Now I'm no expert on this but I think props have a say in fuel consumption? The lads on here will be able to tell you better mate.

I'm in Southport but mainly go from Fleetwood. Just nipping out now so sorry for the quick reply