Old 16 December 2009, 12:38   #11

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider Boats
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 18 /30 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
Why not just measure it? - Got to be better than guessing!!!!

(remember to take a nice curve up to the engine - they don't like 90 degree bends!)
Thanks 9D280,
The issue is, the rib has not arrived yet, it's still inside container cruising the Pacific Ocean, want to gain some days before it reaches, importing all parts needed like steering system & wheel, cables, instruments etc, the factory has recommended 14" cable for steering engine, will asume it's same lenght for engine box control, correct ?

One tech issue, has anybody installed a electric sensor on top of a standard fuel vented cap, Yamaha 6.5 gallon tank f ? This rib has not an internat fuel tank, so engine tank will be used, asking this because Yamaha fuel cap does not have a gasoline level indicator as Tohatsu and other brands does, incredible but true!!

Happy Boating

Old 16 December 2009, 12:59   #12
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locozodiac View Post
will asume it's same lenght for engine box control, correct ?
i'm not certain but suspect my throttle and gear cables are shorter than steering?

Quote:
One tech issue, has anybody installed a electric sensor on top of a standard fuel vented cap, Yamaha 6.5 gallon tank f ? This rib has not an internat fuel tank, so engine tank will be used, asking this because Yamaha fuel cap does not have a gasoline level indicator as Tohatsu and other brands does, incredible but true!!
Not done that. Have a Yamaha OEM tank which does have the mechanical tank level (or did till it fell to pieces) assume you can get replacements or that one standard place makes them all so others will fit.
Old 17 December 2009, 05:53   #13

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Throttle / gears cables either slightly shorter (no need to turn through 90 degrees at >2 foot radius) or slightly longer if you use a "coil".

As for the tank - the easiest way is to look! Most plastic tanks you'd be surprised how easy it is to see how much is in there...... Also once you get the feel for your boat, you;ll jknow roughly when it's likely to run out. The mechanical guages are useless anyway - they usually have an accuracy of about +/- half a tank! As far as I'm concerned they're just another potential leak source.
Old 17 December 2009, 13:13   #14

Seems will have to waiit for the sib to arrive, to order correct lenght cables, Yamaha control box comes with standard 13" lenght that might fit well, but better don't guess.

About internal fuel gauges, must say that Tohatsu's 6.5 gal tanks are very precise, the minimum readible scale will be 1/2 gallon. On my tank have poured one gallon at a time and marked that needle scale position with nail paint up to 6 gallon. So, now have 6 gallon marked positions that are very accurate, don't like guessing how much gas is on tank, as all cruises are not the same, usually don't carry spare gas containers, just full tank 6 gallon outings.

Happy Boating
Old 17 December 2009, 13:19   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by walruz View Post
When I redid the cable and engine on my 5.4 I needed a 14 foot cable.

Hope that helps give you an idea.

Ian

PS I don't have any of those additional bracing jobs you are looking at and it is turning the 90 I have without any probs.
Ian, were those 14" cables for steering control and engine box control ? or just for engine control on that SR 5.40 rib ? advise.
Old 18 December 2009, 01:47   #16

Town: Scillies
Boat name: Freedom
Make: Searider
Engine: Yam 2st 90
Quote:
Ian, were those 14" cables for steering control and engine box control ? or just for engine control on that SR 5.40 rib ? advise.
I used the cables that came with the engine and didn't actually measure them. I remember the steering cable as I measured first time at 11 feet and got it badly wrong! Ah you live and learn. I recon it will be about the same as I use 5m (15 foot roughly) battery cables so as to give me about 1/2 m to play with.

Ian
Old 18 December 2009, 06:10   #17

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
About internal fuel gauges, must say that Tohatsu's 6.5 gal tanks are very precise, the minimum readible scale will be 1/2 gallon. On my tank have poured one gallon at a time and marked that needle scale position with nail paint up to 6 gallon.
Which works well on the flat floor in your garage, but when you are bouncing & rolling in the waves, I can assure you the gauge becomes almost pointless.......Unless you are very good at estimating averages!

Electric fuel gauges (on your console) have a ridiculous amount of damping built in.

But. like I always say, if it works for you.......
Old 18 December 2009, 09:29   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
Which works well on the flat floor in your garage, but when you are bouncing & rolling in the waves, I can assure you the gauge becomes almost pointless.......Unless you are very good at estimating averages!
Good point, in reality we have completely cruising evironment differences, that's why is called Pacific Ocean, where I boat max 15 knots and plain, sometimes, rare brreezy whitecapping choppy seas, just slow down. In summer can light a match in middle of ocean. From experience you can tell distance/throttle/weight/fuel consumption without reading fuel gauges that can be very erratic. Having the cap marked with 1 gallon increments is very useful for exact refill amounts with no deck spills whatsoever.

Note: When you have a complete stop can read fuel gauge properly "Thumbs Up"

Happy Boating