Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 24 May 2011, 19:24   #1

Town: Birmingham
Make: Avon SR4
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55
yamaha 55 power tilt conversion

I've got an early 90's yam 55 outboard which is in general good order & powers a little SR4 niceley. The guide head however has severe corrosion i keep wire brushing/painting but it really needs sorting subject to parts availability. From what i can see it requires a quite substantial strip down which got me thinking about attempting a conversion to PTT. I remember seeing a 55 on ebay that the guy had rebuilt using a PTT from a yam 80 i think?

I know the sensible thing to do would be to sell my engine and buy one with PTT however availability and current prices of outboards make this less tempting plus i would really need to address the guide head prior to selling. I'm also aware it's not a cheap conversion, new parts would be out of the question so i'd be looking at used but are mariner/mercury parts of the same era likeley to fit? i'd have probably have more options if so?

regards AL
Old 24 May 2011, 20:41   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoestring View Post
I've got an early 90's yam 55 outboard which is in general good order & powers a little SR4 niceley. The guide head however has severe corrosion i keep wire brushing/painting but it really needs sorting subject to parts availability. From what i can see it requires a quite substantial strip down which got me thinking about attempting a conversion to PTT. I remember seeing a 55 on ebay that the guy had rebuilt using a PTT from a yam 80 i think?

I know the sensible thing to do would be to sell my engine and buy one with PTT however availability and current prices of outboards make this less tempting plus i would really need to address the guide head prior to selling. I'm also aware it's not a cheap conversion, new parts would be out of the question so i'd be looking at used but are mariner/mercury parts of the same era likeley to fit? i'd have probably have more options if so?

regards AL
They won't fit straight on.-the Merc/Mariner/Yamaha thing doesn't cross between Merc and Yamaha.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2011, 08:06   #3

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
If you're looking for a replacement engine, there's one here. To say Yammie 50s are rare is an under-statement. It's electric start but manual lift. Not really an issue. I used to have a Yammie 40hp on a Zodiac Pro, and it lifted no problem if you place your foot on the transom for leverage. Just check shaft height on this. West Wales Yamaha Marine : Outboards : Chandlery : Servicing : Boat Packages : Neyland : Pembrokeshire
Old 25 May 2011, 08:08   #4

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
I almost did that very job, but between buying the bits & fitting them discovered my powerhead had dissolved due to a broken earth strap, so never actually started the conversion.

The big question - does it have internal or external tilt assist ram(s)? (I guess internal if it's a 90s machine?)

If internal the most difficult bit will be finding a secondhand PT unit at a sensible price. On the plus side anything between 40 to 90 Hp should be a "bolt on", although you may need to swap the bottom casting (where the anode is attatched) if you get a 3 ram version.

If external rams you have two options. Either you need to replace them with the powered version, with all the associated hydraulic plumbing (same rams & pump pack as the inboard legs), or swap the complete clamp / swivel assy (I can help with the clamp / swivel, but someone already bought the PT assy).

Post back with either a pic of your clamp / swivel, ideally in the raised position or a quick description or serial number. I can then tell you what I found out.

Needless to say you'll also need a couple of relays & a switch for your remotes.
Old 25 May 2011, 11:36   #5

Town: Sheffield
Boat name: Touch Bottom
Make: Avon
Engine: 50 hp Merc Power t&t
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoestring View Post

regards AL

Did this a while back now, dead chuffed with it.

http://www.rib.net/forum/f36/putting...tml#post358818
Old 25 May 2011, 18:32   #6

yam 55 ptt conversion

Many thanks for taking the trouble to reply fellas, most helpful! i'll take a photo and get some more details at least its not a complete non-starter (probably will be when i've finished messing)

regards AL
Old 27 May 2011, 18:30   #7

Yam 55 PTT conversion

[QUOTE=9D280;402513] I almost did that very job, but between buying the bits & fitting them discovered my powerhead had dissolved due to a broken earth strap, so never actually started the conversion.

The big question - does it have internal or external tilt assist ram(s)? (I guess internal if it's a 90s machine?)

If internal the most difficult bit will be finding a secondhand PT unit at a sensible price. On the plus side anything between 40 to 90 Hp should be a "bolt on", although you may need to swap the bottom casting (where the anode is attatched) if you get a 3 ram version.

If external rams you have two options. Either you need to replace them with the powered version, with all the associated hydraulic plumbing (same rams & pump pack as the inboard legs), or swap the complete clamp / swivel assy (I can help with the clamp / swivel, but someone already bought the PT assy).

Post back with either a pic of your clamp / swivel, ideally in the raised position or a quick description or serial number. I can then tell you what I found out.

Needless to say you'll also need a couple of relays & a switch for your remotes. [/QUOTE

Took a picture of the Ram which as shown is the single internal type, engine details are 55BE 663 serial no.32562* if this is any help with confirming what i need many thanks AL
]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	searide.jpg
Views:	1008
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	59659  
Old 29 May 2011, 19:17   #8

Town: PORTSMOUTH
Make: Avon 5.4, Avon 3.4,
Engine: Yamaha 90, Merc 30
I dont know if this is any use to you or not, my boat club has a boat with a PTT yam 55 on, took a couple of snaps for you, let me know if you want anymore
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	55 (1).jpg
Views:	1856
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	59695   Click image for larger version

Name:	55.jpg
Views:	3684
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	59696  
Old 30 May 2011, 10:26   #9

Shoestring,

You're in luck. As demosntrated by Olly, any 3 ram PT from about 50-90 Hp will fit. You will need to dissassmble the entire clamp / swivel assy, as the PT unit replaces the Yoke across the bottom, but it's literally a game of "PT Lego" and somethig like 8 screws... (2 on the anode!).

You will probably also need to fit a couple of pads on the swivel bracket for the trim rams (the outer two) to bear against.

As I said, finding the PT at a sensible price will be your next mission!
Old 30 May 2011, 10:39   #10

Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
Maybe your lucky day!!

I've got a PTT 3 ram system sat here. Not sure what Yam it came off. I'd guess it was from a 75hp 2 stroke.

Not sure if it works fully, the main ram moves fine but without any load on the trim rams it's difficult to confirm them to work fully.

No leaks, PTT motor works fine.

PM me your details and email addy if you want more info and a price.

They normally fetch around £250 fully working but im open to "silly" offers to get it out of the workshop.

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 30 May 2011, 15:46   #11

That's the one I bought, and the holes on the unit were in the same place as the ones on the clamps.....

Which reminds me, anyone want a set of clamps & swivel bracket for a Yam 70?
Old 05 June 2011, 21:29   #12

Yam PTT

A massive thankyou to everyone for your help/advice and taking the trouble with pictures etc Peters generously offered me his PTT for a 'silly price' and also a mate of mine's got a 703 control box spare that we'd forgotten about so hopefully i'm well on the way (to a good few cold nights in the garage over winter)

regards AL