Old 11 August 2009, 11:49   #21

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Yep, i'm still here...... Welcome to ribnet!

I should pre-empt this and say I'm going entirely form memory here, but you'll find a lot of the clamp / swivel / gearbox parts are shared with most post '79 two stroke Yams between 50 & 90 Hp (there are odd exceptions). Some of the electrical bits (e.g. coils) might be carryover / shared, but as I never needed to replace them I don't know off the top of my head.... Incuidentally, is yours pull start? That's the difference between the "BM" & the "BE".

Mine died of corrosion, (spent years on a mooring before I got it and nobody thought to replace the anodes ) Before I disposed I stripped it of the new parts. Somewhere in the depths the "for sale" directory is a post of with the list of goodies if you're interested. Prices now negotiable! All used, but most not seen more than about 10 hrs on the engine before the corrosion got terminal & the rebuild was abandoned.

If it's spares your after, David Anderson Marine (Dundee) has about 4 (5 now!) that he was breaking for spares.
Old 11 August 2009, 14:34   #22

Town: stonehaven
Boat name: KISTRAND
Make: Herwa 18 tour
Length: 4m +
Engine: 75HP YAMAHA
no m8 its electric start i got it on ebay guy said it jumps out of gear he dident know much about the inner workings so sold it as is ,after listing it he found out it was most proly the cluth dog ,anyhoo i just wanted to find out about part compatability as i seen a gearbox on ebay for £50 (and just bought it ) it was for a 50 HP motor but i think thay are universal (hopes thay are lol) anyhoo here is my motor

think ill pop down to dunndee anyway need an anode also before im banging my head on the wall
Old 11 August 2009, 15:40   #23

So that's what they look like with paint on! My Cyl head never looked like that.....

Yeah, the 50 g'box should bolt straight on. I got parts off a 75 leg to replace bits on mine.

Interesting yours has the older "outside rams" clamp bracket. Mine (another 663 serial so supposedly of similar vintage) had the internal tilt assist ram.

Which anode is it you need? My trim tab one will fit, but I am not convinced my clamp one will fit that clamp....
Old 11 August 2009, 22:03   #24

the gear box i won looks un striped so all i need is the anodes ill check the other in the morning if i have time ,so one is the trim tab i know about that one but where is the other ? on the transom is it cheers

yeh this motor is a weired one think it was put together with all the bits left lying around at the end of prodution 19?? lol
Old 12 August 2009, 08:00   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHH#pG# View Post
the gear box i won looks un striped so all i need is the anodes ill check the other in the morning if i have time ,so one is the trim tab i know about that one but where is the other ? on the transom is it cheers
On the "inside ram" versions it's a long bar anode bolted along the bottom of the transom clamp. I just had a look at the Mariner microfiche for this engine and it shows a "disc" anode, again bolted to the bottom of the transom clamp. Mind you if your anode has been doing it's job as well as mine, all I had left were the two bolts that held it on.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHH#pG# View Post
yeh this motor is a weired one think it was put together with all the bits left lying around at the end of prodution 19?? lol
The scary thing is just how close to the truth that statement might be!
Old 12 August 2009, 08:30   #26

could you link me to any pics give me an idea what im looking at ,i just looked at the transom and i can`t see another anode or where one might go ,or anyone else have any useful links thanks
Old 12 August 2009, 08:57   #27

I'll need to talk you in, because the link direct to the page is soooo long it won't paste!

Go to http://www.ishopmarine.com/ishop/sec/partlists/ At the top is "mercury marine, and a small search area. Immediately below that, there's links to "Mercury" "Marnier" "Mercruiser" etc etc. Click on "Mariner" and look for the W55. It's an american site, but the diagrams are still valid.

Yam are right down the bottom, but they only go back to 1985.
Old 12 August 2009, 13:21   #28

Cheers for that only thing is my transom is not the W its just one of the last two 55`s i have looked and looked again and there is just no anode on this transom no sheard bolts and no threaded holes so looks like its the later ,looks like the trim tab one dose all the work but thanks for the link it will be most helpful
Old 13 August 2009, 21:21   #29

Town: buckie
Boat name: brodie
Engine: yamaha 55hp outboard
Sorry to butt in guys ! I have the same engine Yamaha 55 Be 663 serial no - 313236 R which is dated the 1981 going by continuouswave. I have also had a lot of bother trying to identify my engine but theyre really dosent seem to be much info specifically on these engines, only on post 1984 stuff (when yamaha began marketing in america). Anyways the problem im having is with the engine timing im trying to get a figure on the full retarded ignition timing, which going by a manual for later 55's i aquired from a america is 5deg atdc however i have a wee white mark someone has put on the flywheel that indicates 5 deg btdc. Im totally baffelled . Anybody any idea what it should be for certain any help would be much appreciated. Cheers !!!
Old 13 August 2009, 23:11   #30

All i have on timing is this from service manual models from 1984-96

think its the 89 model 2 cyld 55 hp don`t think there is a lot of difference

by the way whats the proper name for the power cord that plugs into the loom harness the 9 pin plug ?
Old 14 August 2009, 09:14   #31

Jaemsie,
If that isn't what you need I'll see what my Clymer says when I get home. Could the mark have been put there randomly to make it easier to see with a timing strobe?

AHH,
The remotes Loom? Do you need one ?
Old 14 August 2009, 09:20   #32

Hi thanks for the info, still looking for something specific for my engine as there is some variation between the different 55 b's but much appeciated anyway

Not sure of the exact name of the item your writing about. The 7 pin plug or 10 pin for electric tilt (as part of the wire harness assy) is what i'd call it. By the way as 9d280 said the the M in 55BM does stand for Manual as in manual steering and starting i reckon your outboard has been converted at some point !!!
Old 14 August 2009, 09:28   #33

Hi theres a mark at tdc, a mark at 26deg btdc for full advance (believable) and a mark at 5 deg btdc for full retard ( possible but i dont believe it lol).

will clymer have info on post 1984 stuff ?

thanks mate
Old 14 August 2009, 09:53   #34

My clymer was for the Mariners, and from memory stops at '79. Having said that I also have the Mariner Clymer to suit my "new" Merc which conveniently carries on where the other one left off, although I'm not sure I remember seeing any of the 2 Cly stuff in it. Will check when I get home.
Old 14 August 2009, 10:48   #35

The post 1984 above was meant to be pre 1984

Thanks for your help
Old 14 August 2009, 12:34   #36

yeh i need the loom is it ? the part that plugs into the engine and run to the controls yeh plugs into a seven pin end

and the M means manual thats maybe why i can`t id it properly looks like someone made one from two or somthing coz it has the starter fitted also says electric on the hood now im even more confued lol

anyone wan`t a copy of yamaha outboard manual 1984 onwards just say ill megaupload it to you cheers
Old 14 August 2009, 15:22   #37

Yeah, I did think that cover looked a bit oldschool livery for a post '79 motor...... It's just occurred to me what that white sticker on the tray is - probably the one that told you where Neutral / Forward / reverse was before it was converted. Any grommet filled holes below it?

You got PM ref. the wiring.
Old 14 August 2009, 21:54   #38

Jamsey

2 settings according to clymer for the 48/50/60. WOT advance - 22 BTDC, idle 2 BTDC for the "Dual carb", WOT advance - 26 BTDC, idle 4 ATDC for the single.

So, usual Clymer one manual fits all.......
Old 14 August 2009, 23:58   #39

Thanks again. The 4 - 6 atdc (idle) is what ive been going by as per my later model workshop manual, so the 4 atdc figure you have and 4-6 atdc from AHH seams to agree with this.

By the way when you had your yamaha 55 how did it run at idle ? i rescued mine from a field where it had been sitting for a few years and after a fair bit of work got her going well apart from at idle ! Seams a little rough to me as in terms of vibration !!!
Old 15 August 2009, 07:31   #40

i will let you know how mine runs soon as i get this gearbox for it ,but when i bought it the last owner fired it up for a few moments to show me it was`ent a duffer ,but these two cyld ones are pritty noisey and vibrate more than the newer 3 cyld 60HP autolubes.