Old 04 August 2009, 17:44   #11

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: reiver 3.8/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: 40hp 2st 2x6lp 315
I wouldnt mind buying the test gear as i like to be independant but yamaha wont release it and i havent seen it for sale elseware if anyone can suggest a source for it i'd be very greatfull

cheers

ken

Old 05 August 2009, 16:15   #12

Town: Surrey
Length: no boat
ken first of all this engine of yours DOES not have the technology for the software to connect to the engine . Your motor is a straight forward carb , cdi ignition system and there is no ECU etc for all the different output sensors on it . You to me sounds like float level or a Intermidiate jet blocked in the top carb . How do you know it dosent spark on tick over . have you put a proper spark gap tester across the HT leads ? cheers baz

Old 06 August 2009, 17:37   #13

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: reiver 3.8/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: 40hp 2st 2x6lp 315
Hi outboard tech I thought that this was a simple cdi unit that wouldnt have the capacity to store codes etc but it was yamaha's own tech who sugested it should be conected to the diagnostic software

the guys at bhg said immediately that it would be the cdi but they sent me a used one sale or return which was exactly the same they then suggested trying yamaha themselves but even the guy there seemed a bit vague about it (given his suggestion about reading codes)

I have tested the spark and it definately doesnt have a spark until you move the leaver on the cdi unit then you immediately get the spark and the revs pick up dramaticaly even with the linkage disconected so the throttle butterflys dont move

i've been in the motor trade for 25 years so i know my way around an engine but apart from changeing parts untill the fault goes away i dont know what to do next (expensive too cdi unit is 700)

i'm still not 100% convinced that its not supposed to do this because its not particularly bad when its being used just a bit lumpy on tickover once up an going it goes like hell

would love to find an identical engine and check it i wouldnt be surprised if it was the same

thanks for everyones input but i need someone to take the hood off one and investigate

cheers ken
Old 06 August 2009, 18:12   #14

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Hi, I don't know your engine but it is common to have two ignition charge coils under the flywheel - a low speed one and a high speed one. Their characteristics are different and one takes over from the other automatically as the engine is revved - the output of one falls as the other rises. The ignition charge coils pump up a capacitor, which is inside the CDI unit, to a voltage of approx 200-300v. This current is released through the primary winding of the ignition coils and again increased in the secondary winding to a value suitable for arcing across the sparkplug electrodes.

I guess, if your motor has this system, that one of the low speed charge coils could have failed.
Old 15 July 2010, 06:52   #15

Length: 4m +
Hi Guys,

I seem to have the same problem with my 40 Veto, the motor spikes in power when in use and bottom spark plug is cold when not running right?

Did we solve beamishken's problem?

Cheers,

Phil
Old 16 July 2010, 03:47   #16
RIBnet supporter

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philozzie View Post
Hi Guys,

I seem to have the same problem with my 40 Veto, the motor spikes in power when in use and bottom spark plug is cold when not running right?

Did we solve beamishken's problem?

Cheers,

Phil
try to PM him, you may get a response
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2010, 15:55   #17

Town: clifden
Make: Fletcher Bravo Arrow
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 175
yamaha 40 v

hi guys

posted message dis morn . mine at full throttle drops a cylinder not sure which one yet but after throttlin off and on /off it come back on 3 cylinders . have cleaned the carbs several times .

cdi box is suited for a 40 / 50 hp engine . have u got it aligned on the correct setting pick up on cdi box .