Old 02 October 2011, 10:49   #1

Town: poole
Length: 3m +
yamaha 28 stop switch

Hello every one
I have a 1976-1978 yamaha 28hp manual start I have taken of the original stop swithc to replace with a kill cored after connecting the kill switch to the orange and grey i tried to stop the engine but it wouldn't I have since reconnected e old stop switch and now this does not work any ideas
Old 02 October 2011, 12:43   #2

Boat name: SeaRider SR4
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: 55HP Yam
I used to have a 40hp yammie from the same series. To connect the stop-/ killswitch you've got to take the wire from the ignition coils ( I think..?) + a second wire which is tightened to the block. It's function is to make ground, and in this case grounding the ignition to stop the engine, which is what you want to achieve.

Don't be fooled by the colors, just trace back the wire to the exact component it's coming from.

* By the way; the grey wire is almost certain to be a signal sender to the potential tacho-meter. This wire comes from the lighting coil under the flywheel to charge the potential battery. This coil could be smoked now you've connected the ignition wire to it, but you could be lucky.

Always; make sure the wire & connectors are tight and well isolated, aren't frayed or cut anywhere.
This should do the trick I believe...
Old 03 October 2011, 20:26   #3

Town: poole
Length: 3m +
Thanks for the reply but I am still having problems. The coils have a small wire coming from each of them and the orange and grey goes up under the fly wheel how will I connect a modern style kill switch with lanyard and will it cut out the engine. On the block the orange is in a connection with the black wire from one coil and the grey wire is connected to the other coil connection block. The coil is ok as the engine runs sweet but i just can't stop it....