Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 01 August 2014, 12:45   #31
RIBnet supporter
 
bartiny's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Accrington
Length: no boat
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrowboy View Post
This thread was black magic as far as I'm concerned by the time it had got to post 3!

I hope you are still keeping up, multiple choice questions at the end

__________________

__________________
bartiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 August 2014, 13:06   #32
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: south west
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transporterman99 View Post
I'm a retired car mechanic but I did do quite a bit of work on 70s Yamaha bikes with points and as said above the timing is critical. I had (probably still do somewhere) a spark plug thread adaptor for the dial gauge. And you really do need to use a dial gauge to get it spot on. If you are stuck I'll find it and post it to you.

It's surprising how the most miniscule movement of the piston can be seen as a really large movement of the dial gauge.

Edit- Found it!

wow many thanks for the great offer but hope i dont need it but if i do ile take you up on that
you wouldnt believe how many people i have asked for a coil or messaged all over the world - usa - canada - australia - germany - ireland - etc and just about every one i could find in the uk all have come back with no or havent seen one of them in years but then some are just a aste of time speaking to unless you want to spend 300 - 400 quid they aint interested in helping you how things have changed from when i was in the industry and that was only 10 odd years ago
__________________

__________________
stigoftd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 August 2014, 13:13   #33
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki 4hp
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 22
Anytime.. Anyone in the future is also welcome to borrow the adaptor for the cost of the postage.
__________________
Transporterman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 August 2014, 13:21   #34
RIBnet supporter
 
bartiny's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Accrington
Length: no boat
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transporterman99 View Post
Anytime.. Anyone in the future is also welcome to borrow the adaptor for the cost of the postage.
Yes please, would not mind borrowing it to double check my heath robinson set up.
I will pm you
__________________
bartiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 August 2014, 13:57   #35
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki 4hp
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 22
Got your pm. Sent reply..
__________________
Transporterman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 August 2014, 06:43   #36
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki 4hp
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 22
Parcel sent..

One tip for when you use it. Leave the grub screw on the adaptor loose until you are sure you have the right length of rod fitted to the plunger. That way you can't accidentally clonk the dial gauge with the piston when the dial gauge plunger is already fully home.

Sounds more complicated than it is!!
__________________
Transporterman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 August 2014, 07:16   #37
RIBnet supporter
 
bartiny's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Accrington
Length: no boat
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transporterman99 View Post
Parcel sent..

One tip for when you use it. Leave the grub screw on the adaptor loose until you are sure you have the right length of rod fitted to the plunger. That way you can't accidentally clonk the dial gauge with the piston when the dial gauge plunger is already fully home.

Sounds more complicated than it is!!
Yep will do, I will PM you when it arrives.

Top man
__________________
bartiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 August 2014, 12:27   #38
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: south west
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 85
well that cm66-23 coil arrived today i spent 3 min fitting it and it has a proper spark so does the other so in the test tank and first pull off she went i had to set the carp up a tiny ammount and think the timing may be a little out of time but other wise she is running sweet as
still trying to get hold of the other engine

and if anyone needs any outboard spares i can totaly recomend
outboard spares unlimited - 01622817073 realy couldnt be anymore helpfull and arrived in 2 working days [could of been 24hrs if i orderd it in the morning]
otherwise i couldnt be more happy
__________________
stigoftd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 August 2014, 13:38   #39
RIBnet supporter
 
bartiny's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Accrington
Length: no boat
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by stigoftd View Post
well that cm66-23 coil arrived today i spent 3 min fitting it and it has a proper spark so does the other so in the test tank and first pull off she went i had to set the carp up a tiny ammount and think the timing may be a little out of time but other wise she is running sweet as
still trying to get hold of the other engine

and if anyone needs any outboard spares i can totaly recomend
outboard spares unlimited - 01622817073 realy couldnt be anymore helpfull and arrived in 2 working days [could of been 24hrs if i orderd it in the morning]
otherwise i couldnt be more happy
Great news (I will put that ignition stuff away now then ) lets hope mine is the right 1, been posted today UPS tracked hoping for the end of the week, but like I said its only a spare
__________________
bartiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 August 2014, 14:31   #40
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: south west
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 85
your coil you say hasnt got any no's on if you take it off look at the reverse is should be on there as it seams that if it is on the tiller side of the engine they go on upside down the other side it is on show
hopefully ile be givving her a run down the river sometime this week nd report back
__________________

__________________
stigoftd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:10.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.