Old 18 March 2007, 01:41   #1
RIBnet supporter

Town: Newcastle
Boat name: Merlin
Make: RB4 Gemini 550
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90C
Yamaha 20D 12v outlet

Have just acquired my 'new' 20d for my SIB. It has a 12v 2 pin outlet on the front end. Joy! all the things I can power up with it...errr....
Can anyone tell me ... where do I get a 2 pin connector to fit the outlet on the engine? Is it a Yamaha only spare?
Do I need to fit anything inline from the outlet before taking power to say a Nav light or Radio?
Old 18 March 2007, 10:31   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustRib View Post
Have just acquired my 'new' 20d for my SIB. It has a 12v 2 pin outlet on the front end. Joy! all the things I can power up with it...errr....
Can anyone tell me ... where do I get a 2 pin connector to fit the outlet on the engine? Is it a Yamaha only spare?
Do I need to fit anything inline from the outlet before taking power to say a Nav light or Radio?
Beware if using this with a radio that the radio will only work when the engine is running. As well as meaning you might miss weather or safety messages when at anchor etc - the one time you really want your radio to work is when the engine isn't...
Old 18 March 2007, 10:58   #3
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Stick a multimeter set to AC into the holes while the engine is running. If it shows anywhere between about 8v and 18v or thereabouts you'll need a rectifier and regulator if showing over 14,8v. You really need a battery in there to use that socket anyway-it won't do the gear plugged in any good at all to be run directly.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2007, 04:37   #4

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
The ideal battery would be a "garden and tractor" battery: small, cheap(ish), and usually built to withstand a bit of idle time. Not a whole lot of reserve power, but you aren't going to be cranking the motor off it, so that shouldn't be too much of an issue.

On the idle time point, I meant time between running the motor (i.e. time between charging); I kept a small 200mA trickle charger on the battery for my Honda 40 when it was parked at home. I never really looked at the solar panel trickle chargers, but they would probably do, as well. So I never actually tested the shelf life of the charge.

jky