Old 13 January 2020, 15:18   #1
Den

Town: Cork
Length: 6m +
Yamaha 200 2stroke?

Hi all! New on here, I’m in the market for a rib! Always wanted one! And am going to look at a couple over the next few days, there’s a 7 m Humber destroyer with a Yamaha 200 2stroke on her. I have a double console I would like to put on her. Any advice about that boat/setup. She is coming at pretty good value. Any advice gratefully received
Old 13 January 2020, 16:48   #2

Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
Bombproof engine, sound great, but very thirsty, not worth a whole lot these days due to thirst and being old tech two stroke.
Old 13 January 2020, 17:26   #3
Den

Yamaha 200 2stroke?

Thanks! How thirsty are they? Enough to be a stumbling block to buyin one or does the “bombproofness” outweigh the fuel cost, I won’t be putting crazy hours up, maybe 50 hours a year
Also.. if I the 7m Humber was to need a retube , what kind of money am I lookin at?[emoji85]
Old 13 January 2020, 17:34   #4

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
It's a mystery! Folks with newer engines will tell you how terribly thirsty the older engines are but many of them presently get approx 1lt per mile on a medium sized rib, it's strange because that's about what we all got in the 1990's!

Old 13 January 2020, 17:45   #5

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
It's a mystery! Folks with newer engines will tell you how terribly thirsty the older engines are but many of them presently get approx 1lt per mile on a medium sized rib, it's strange because that's about what we all got in the 1990's!

Maybe bigger boat/engine combos are now hitting the magic 1nm/l figure than previously. I.e. the benchmark has stayed constant, but the demographic has moved.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 18:09   #6
Den

I like the idea of an old school “2 smoke”[emoji16] less electronics too I guess to go wrong? Any issues to look out for on the Humber hull/tubes
Old 13 January 2020, 19:24   #7

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom 19 View Post
Bombproof engine, sound great, but very thirsty, not worth a whole lot these days due to thirst and being old tech two stroke.
+1

Mate had a 175 Yamaha 2t on a Northcraft about 7mtr and the fuel consumption was "eye-watering". Another friend of mine bought it from him and got rid of it shortly after because of the running costs. (he wouldn't believe us). Never accurately measured it but I'd think about 2ltr per mile Largs to Port Bannatyne and back about 19 nautical miles saw off 7 galls of fuel.
Old 13 January 2020, 19:41   #8
Den

Decisions, decisions![emoji85]
Old 13 January 2020, 19:55   #9

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Im sure a v6 yam its something like 20 gallons per hour if your working it
Old 13 January 2020, 20:12   #10

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
The old rule of thumb for carb'd two strokes was about 1gall/hr for every 10HP.

Got marginally better than that as they got bigger but 20GPH will be in the ball park.
Old 13 January 2020, 20:17   #11
Den

Thanks guys! With fuel costs rising, that could be a deal breaker I guess, that’s around €130 an hour here. And cost aside, for a half day trip you’d need a very big tank!
Old 13 January 2020, 21:07   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
Im sure a v6 yam its something like 20 gallons per hour if your working it
I ran a 200hp Yam for 8 years. Max fuel burn is a lot more than that flat out; The dealer workshop manual used to give max fuel consumption in the specs, I think it was in the region of 120litres per hour WOT.
Old 13 January 2020, 21:11   #13
Den

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom 19 View Post
I ran a 200hp Yam for 8 years. Max fuel burn is a lot more than that flat out; The dealer workshop manual used to give max fuel consumption in the specs, I think it was in the region of 120litres per hour WOT.

A litre every 30secs! That’s serious guzzling, what size boat was that pushing? Was she making good speed?
Old 14 January 2020, 06:35   #14

It is 15 years since I last owned a v6 and haven’t looked in the manual in as many years but I’m sure it was around 120l. Put it this way, you need large diameter fuel pipe throughout and the v6 has twin lift pumps to cope with the fuel draw. I ran mine off a standard 25litre tank temporarily once and it couldn’t flow enough fuel though the Yamaha Tank fuel connector to run above 2/3 throttle.
These engines were designed for the US market in the eighties hence their thirst. They were much better built than the Merc v6 and far more reliable. The only thing the merc had over the Yamaha was the high performance / racing market, the Yamaha was too heavy and didn’t have the factory options of the offshore leg and CLE type gearboxes. There were mating plates available in the US to enable the Yamaha v6 powerhead to couple to the merc CLE boxes and offshore legs.
Old 14 January 2020, 07:34   #15

Length: 7m +
Ive been running a yamaha 200hp HPDI for over 10 years on a cobra 7.5M Rib, good engine, simple, no major issues, reliable if you get a good one, just service it each year, I have done rather alot of hours on mine but still good, I think its actually better to use your boat than leave it sitting for weeks as less problems arise.

The only issue ive experienced is something that apparently many big 2 strokes experience (but dont know if its just older yam and other outboards) and thats one or more cylinders cokeing up (is that the correct term) basically they dont like going slow with low revs for extended periods of time as the cylinders can get a tad gunky and after a while you may experience a misfire. Mine has had this a couple of times in the past due to too many long leisurely trips around the back of Brownsea Island at 5 knots on way back from a day out plus the slow run under 6knots back to cobbs. Easily rectified by just making sure you change all sparks plugs once or twice a year (twice if doing lots of said slow runs), occasionally also add some fuel additive to clean things up and you then wont see it occur.

So a decent outboard, plenty of grunt, relatively simple, tad thirsty yes on fuel and 2 stroke oil but worth keeping going.
Old 14 January 2020, 11:24   #16

Town: Winchester
Boat name: The Rubber Duck
Make: Avon 3.10
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Thanks, mines only a 90 Yam 2 Stroke but that's what I wanted to hear plus a useful trip re new plugs.
Old 14 January 2020, 14:19   #17

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribtecer View Post
Thanks, mines only a 90 Yam 2 Stroke but that's what I wanted to hear plus a useful trip re new plugs.
90 yam possibly the best outboard ever made
Old 14 January 2020, 14:28   #18

Town: bedford
Make: tornado
Engine: outboard 60hp merc
My Dive club 115hp 2 stroke is Bril only major spare part in 25 yrs has been a switch box, other wise perfect.

Yes probably is a tad thirsty in comparison to a 4 S, but cheap to service and diy is easy.

It’s also super reliable,

Dave
Old 15 January 2020, 12:11   #19

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
I wish I could find a 200 HPDi to repower my RIB.

Been looking for a while and am still holding out for one at the moment as it's my first choice, but there just aren't any for sale anywhere, so will no doubt have to go with one of the ETEC 200/200HOs or Optimax 200/225s that appear to be more available used.

Nasher.
Old 15 January 2020, 12:17   #20
Den

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
I wish I could find a 200 HPDi to repower my RIB.

Been looking for a while and am still holding out for one at the moment as it's my first choice, but there just aren't any for sale anywhere, so will no doubt have to go with one of the ETEC 200/200HOs or Optimax 200/225s that appear to be more available used.

Nasher.

Been talking on the phone to the yam main dealer, he too reckons that the 200, is a solid Piece of motor, said yeah, thirsty at W.o.t but how often are you really flat out, usually once you’re planing then it’s bak to half or two thirds. Only bit of advice he gave was to use a pre mix of about 100:1 as well as the auto lube, for the sake of the top two cylinders. He reckoned they were as said earlier on the post, “bulletproof”
Now I hope the hull and tubes are as good! 7m Humber destroyer. Going looking at the wknd

Tags
yamaha