Old 14 September 2010, 09:24   #1

Town: macclessfield
Boat name: Reach Out
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30hp Tohatsu EFI
Yamaha 20 hp 2 Smoke improved

Had this engine for a month or more and used it for around 12 hours. It looks pretty mint and has done little work and runs great 99% of the time. But some times on tick over it popes and stalls..

I check plugs and drained the fuel bowl, cleaned the fuel filter etc, but still the same. i.e. almost perfect. Blew out the pilot jet areas from the out side the carb.. Putting the screws back were I found them 1.5 turns out each. Still the same.

So I thought I would take the carbs off and clean them properly, but noticed a label inside the engine cover that the pilot jets should be 2.5 turns out.

I set these (takes 10 seconds) and the motor ticks over and revs from 750 rpm like a sports bike. Instant and crisp, and ticks over with so issues at all.

Maybe the last owner adjusted them for some reason or a service shop just set them wrong??
Old 14 September 2010, 10:42   #2

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Yeah, engine histories are many & varied. I found mine the opposite way - pouring fuel in. Amongst other things fiddled with presumably to try and get it to run smoothly, when all it needed was a new spark plug lead.

I'd guess previous owner, as a Yam dealer should know how to set it!