Click Here to Login

Old 30 March 2019, 17:32   #1

Town: Falmouth
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 150F
Yamaha 150 Four Stroke unstable tickover

Hi All,

I'm hoping someone can maybe point me in the right direction. My Yamaha 150 four stroke(2007) has been running perfectly until yesterday, at tickover it's started hunting between 500-800rpm, I've changed the water separator filter but didn't have a fuel filter element for the filter on the front of the engine under the cowling.

Just in case the primer bulb was the issue I've also removed this using a 3/8th connector.

When running the engine in gear I'm getting 5100rpm, I normally get about 5300-5400rpm depending on conditions.

Any ideas anyone??
Old 30 March 2019, 18:24   #2

Town: Liverpool
Length: no boat
I'll put money on the injectors need cleaning...not a big job but id get it done by yam....Also use a racor 2 micron filter...Nik
Old 30 March 2019, 19:04   #3

That was sort of my thinking too, friends 115 had similar (but much worse in terms of overall power) problems. I’m going to book it in with the local dealer.
Old 30 March 2019, 19:32   #4

Town: Liverpool
Length: no boat
My mate and I have a 150 yam and a 115...beautiful engines and bullit proof. The only problem these days is a tiny filter in the VST and filters in the injectors that get clogged over time.. they're like cigarette filters ....We've run 2 micron Racor filters for the last five years and its helped loads. We had to order them from the States...Google Racor S3228SUL... they're about £25 each with a plastic bowl on the bottom that lets you see any crud/water and very easy to drain it off. Yam will send back a calibrated sheet of the injector patterns and matched flow rates. Keep us posted....I like to hear the conclusion to these. nik
Old 30 March 2019, 19:48   #5

Cheers Nick,
I’ll keep you posted. I’m lucky that Rock Marine Services are only about an hr away and they have all he equipment to ultrasonic clean and test the flow rate.
The current filter is 10 micron so sounds like you have a better setup.
I’m back offshore soon so might have to wait till I get home before I can get it sorted.
Chris

Tags
yamaha