Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 08 August 2005, 11:17   #1

Town: Hayle, Kernow
Boat name: Spare RIB
Make: Narwhal
Length: 5m +
Engine: 130 Yam Outboard
Yamaha 130 gear change and throttle problems.

Hi All
Wonder if any one can offer some advise for my Yamaha 130 outboard, I am having gear change and throttle problems.

I recently had the Throttle and gear select cable replaced by a local marine dealer, all has been fine for at least two trips out. But weekend before last when manoeuvring in the Penzance harbour the outboard got stuck in reverse, bit embarrassing as I left my paddles at home and we were only 5 meters from the Pier, all was not lost as my new 8HP Aux I bought recently saved the day…

I got home and had a good look at the linkage for the outboard and found that the gear cable retaining clip had come off and the cable had moved out of the keyed retaining clip allowing the cable to side ways rather then backwards and forwards.

After pushing it home and cable tieing the clip closed I checked to ensure that Neutral and in gear were achieved by spinning the prop. All looked ok so set out the following day from Hayle (with paddles on board) for a trip to St.Ives.

All was going great until on clearing the bar I went to wide open throttle, the engine then died but did not cut out, I put the engine into neutral and used the idle advance lever to try and recreate the problem but all seemed ok, so set off again and again the engine died on WOT, at this stage I decided to take a leisurely stroll back towards Hayle harbour to ensure at was a short hop on the Aux back in, during the next 20 mins I gradually increased the throttle setting until WOT, during which what ever problem was cleared.

The next day a friend of mine went through the fuel system to try and find any issues but couldn’t find the root cause.

So back out of Hayle again at the weekend and this time no problem with the fuel at WOT but the dam thing got stuck in forward, back to Hayle again and on inspection of the gear cable the clip had come off again allowing the gear cable to move slightly but the cable tie still held the cable in the keyed slot, I pushed the clip back down and tried the gear change again, it moved easily from forward to neutral and reverse.

I then started the outboard, which immediately shot into high revs?

I had another look at the cable and throttle assembly (err haven’t a clue what and looking at) and couldn’t see any obvious problems.

Started the outboard again and this time the outboard idled for approx 5 seconds then shot up to high reves.

About 40 mins later after looking fiddling wit the levers and cables I admitted defeat, and ended the day with no fish and deployment of the trusty Aux to get me back to the slip.

I think the loss of fuel on WOT is a red herring but has anyone got any ideas what to look for on the outboard and controls that might be causing the gear change problems and stick in high revs?

Thanks Shaggy
Old 11 August 2005, 12:02   #2

Any ideas anyone?

Shaggy
Old 12 August 2005, 08:44   #3

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy
Any ideas anyone?

Shaggy
I think I would take it back to the "local marine dealer" and get him to sort it out - it seems the trouble started after he worked on it!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2005, 09:20   #4

Hi Cookee
Thanks for the input, a friend of mine is going to have a look at it today, I’m hoping it’s a simple linkage problem.

If he cant figure it out then a Ill be going back to the Marine dealer in Falmouth, its a real pain as I work away from home during the week and its a 50 mile round trip from Hayle to Falmouth.

Cheers Shaggy