Old 26 August 2008, 16:17   #1
RIBnet supporter

Town: West Wittering
Length: no boat
Yamaha 115hp 4 Stroke

Does anyone here have a Yamaha 115hp outboard. My Dad has a 2006 Yamarin sports cuddy boat with the above outboard. He keeps it here in Port Solent in the marina and he is now on his 4th hydralic lifting ram, all replace under warranty, but it has gone again now for the 5th time, does anyone here have any issues with their rams? he rests it back down as instructed onto the locking bracket so the pressure is taken off the ram when not used. He's just getting very irritated as he does not have a trailer and has to get it lifted out each time here at Port Solent which Yamaha won't reimburse but now it is becoming a bit of a joke. Then engine has only done 110 hrs so seems a bit crazy.
Old 26 August 2008, 16:50   #2

Town: Worcester
Make: Northcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115hp Yam 4 stroke
MMSI: 235063097
Sorry to hear about your dad's problems Richard. That would frustrate the hell out of me too!

I have a Yamaha 115 EFL (4 stroke long shaft) fitted on my RIB and never had any problems with it. The outboard was purchased at the end of last year (2007 production) and only used this season, so still low hours. I too keep the engine tilted up, with the support bracket engaged, when not in use.
Old 27 August 2008, 15:44   #3

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
I'm running a Feb, 2005 F115XL (at least I think it's an XL) on my Polaris RIB.

No problems as of yet (nearing 300 hrs; I seem to be running about 100hrs/year.)

The only glitches I've had so far are the normal weirdness: odd sounds when trimming (caused by a lack of grease on the tips of the trim rams), and an odd whining near idle (caused by lack of lubrication on the small shaft visible near the front of the lower unit.)

Other than that, it's been pretty bulletproof. So far.

As an FYI, I've never heard of anyone having ram problems. What, exactly, is the failure?

jky
Old 27 August 2008, 20:49   #4
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
What, exactly, is the failure?

jky
It is getting stuck when trimming the engine up out of the water at the end of the day, plus sometimes when trimming the engine back into the water and its not exactly cos my Dad does a lot of trimming and throttling at sea.......... does not go exactly that fast
Old 28 August 2008, 23:15   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauti Buoy View Post
It is getting stuck when trimming the engine up out of the water at the end of the day, plus sometimes when trimming the engine back into the water and its not exactly cos my Dad does a lot of trimming and throttling at sea.......... does not go exactly that fast

Stuck as in the pump runs but nothing happens, or stuck as in you hit the switch and nothing?

If the latter, I'd check the electrical connections to the hydraulic pump.

If the former, check that the fluid level is correct, and there's no air in the system (though I think it's supposed to be self-purging.)

jky
Old 29 August 2008, 00:02   #6
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
Stuck as in the pump runs but nothing happens, or stuck as in you hit the switch and nothing?

If the latter, I'd check the electrical connections to the hydraulic pump.

If the former, check that the fluid level is correct, and there's no air in the system (though I think it's supposed to be self-purging.)

jky
Pump runs but nothing, but this is now approaching the 5th set in 8 months so Yamaha now getting the boat lifted and sending someone to inspect the real problem, they suspect its the pivot shaft too tight.
Old 29 August 2008, 15:49   #7

Well, if the motor comes down, I'd suspect that the pivot is fine. You can verify by loosening the pressure release screw and lifting and lowering manually (a lot easier to do out of the water, by the way; I know yours was in, and I keep forgetting that.)

I'm just doing a bunch of guessing here, and it's probably not helping much. Hopefully Yamaha will get it sorted. If you do ever find the cause of your issues, please make sure to post it here.

Good luck;

jky