Old 26 March 2005, 16:01   #1

Length: no boat
Yam 30 Problems

Hi All,

Wonder if you can help me out with this one..Outboard is a Yamaha 30 DEO (2stroke) built in '96 so getting on a bit, and lives on the back of a 4M Rescue type Searider.

On starting she fires runs for say about 10secs and dies..., on starting and using a bit of fast idle, I can get her to stay fast idling for about 2mins before it tails off and dies. Immediate issue I found, was that I was informed that the fuel was 6months old...so Im immediately assuming this is the problem, and will check 2moz with sum fresh, but just wondered whether any one has one of these engines or could offer up other possible issues..

Thanks..
Tom.
Old 27 March 2005, 12:20   #2

Town: Enfield, Co Meath
Boat name: no name
Make: Zodiac Pro
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 115
Send a message via AIM to lc0021 Send a message via MSN to lc0021 Send a message via Skype™ to lc0021
try the fuel lines

chack that the fuel pipe and tank are ok - to be sure that the tank is venting - and that it isnt drawing air into the fuel line
Old 28 March 2005, 13:01   #3

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Just had this problem on a Yam 30 this weekend.

Proved to be a disintigrating fuel pipe that caused further problems in the filters and pumps etc.

Work methodically from the tank to to the carb checking each bit for a free flow of fuel, or air if your blowing through it and you should find the problem.

I don't think you engine is that old and shouldn't have any major problems if its been cared for.

We had problems with the pipe last year and it should have been replaced then.

Best of luck Nick R.
Old 28 March 2005, 17:13   #4

Rite, Fresh Fuel, now runs, thats the good bit...bad bit is shes very tempremantal, hunting for revs at idle and sound rather knocky, checked pplugs and clearance theyre all fine, fuel system has been fully cleaned and clean fresh fuel throughout..

Looks like shes gonna need a service,

Anyone know of anywher nr southampton where im not gonna get ripped ?

Tom.
Old 28 March 2005, 18:58   #5

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
They are kinda knocky. Does it rev if you open the throttle?
Old 28 March 2005, 19:08   #6

Yeah it does, almost sounds like its back firing, just been running it with sum muffs on, and appears to be coughing and spitting out evry say 8secs ish..

Bringing it back down to idle speed, she sits at idle happily for a min or 2, then starts chasing revs,.but going low not high..dips rite down to just above stall point, and then slowly pics up again...before finally dieing after about 8mins or so.
Old 28 March 2005, 19:42   #7

Adjust the tick-over mixture. Make it richer first. Sounds like it needs just a tad ¼ turn(ish) or less. These motors, when on muffs, can rev kinda crackly and then knock hard on over-run. Sound effect for you...brrrrrruummmmmm, dum, dum, dum, dum-dum, dum, dum-dum, dum, dum.......crackle, crackle, pop, knock, knock...
Old 28 March 2005, 19:46   #8

Town: Herne Bay
Boat name: Rotary Rescue
Make: Pacific 22
Engine: Mermaid 160
MMSI: 235021725
Yam probs

Might need a carb clean
Paul
Old 28 March 2005, 19:53   #9

Send a message via AIM to lc0021 Send a message via MSN to lc0021 Send a message via Skype™ to lc0021
I had rough running problems on the Yam 50 last week after the winter lying up - without draining carbs, etc... (see Yam 50 problems thread below)

The responses received recommended spraying the carbs with carb cleaner - which I duly did yesterday - and it certainly made a HUGE improvement....

what I did was - remove the air box from the front of the carbs, and applied carb cleaner very genorously to the outside of the ecarbs, including the pivots for the butterflies, and also to the inside of the carbs (down the throats) with the throttles owide opwn - and closed. I left it to dry off for about an hour - then I started the engine (in a barrel...) and gave a liberal spraying into each carb several times while the engines were running... The engine died several times - because of the rough running problem - but over the course of an hour or two - repeating the spray the carbs with the wngines off, working the throttles well to free them out - then running the engine and spraying the stuff into the carbs with the engines running - I could see/feel the difference - as the engine became less rough - and eventually settled down to a staedy tickover, etc...

I used amost a full can of cleaner - but it was definitely a good tip picked up from the forum...
Old 28 March 2005, 20:46   #10
exspyrd trayd membir

Town: inn wiliks hed
Make: Redbay 6.5
Engine: Twin Etec 90hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker
brrrrrruummmmmm, dum, dum, dum, dum-dum, dum, dum-dum, dum, dum.......crackle, crackle, pop, knock, knock...

an downt fergett de arrrrrrrrrgh az de propp slicis iz fkin tows offf.

gArf
Old 28 March 2005, 20:56   #11

Ouch, lets hope that doesnt happen.

The sound effect is spot on, and yeah I would agree the carb clean, and I think thats the next route to follow, specially seeing as fuel had been sat in the engine for a while and has no doubt Gum up and clogged the Carbs..

Which cleaner did you use ? been searchin forums and it looks like the Quicksilver PowerTune is the popular choice..

(If anyone knows where I can buy sum from in West Cowes id be grateful, as im working over there 2moz.)

Thanks for all your help!!

Tom.
Old 28 March 2005, 20:59   #12

Town: Swinton Manchester
Length: 5m +
Send a message via AIM to Graham H
Go to your local car spares shop its about 3.50 a tin
Graham
Old 28 March 2005, 21:02   #13

Ah rite, I was wondering about that, but thought that using one for a Car engine might have differant chemicals that could do damage to the internal seals or sumin, anyone think thats an issue or should I just get sum..
Old 28 March 2005, 21:15   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyFitch
...and yeah I would agree the carb clean, and I think thats the next route to follow, ...
But u said it revs. If it's gummed up how does it do that? Grasping at straws, I fear. Turn the fkin mixture screw anti clock a ¼ turn.

Old 28 March 2005, 22:15   #15

I just used a generic one <joe soaps carp and choke cleaner...> from the local car store... (5 euro..) I dont think it makes much difference...

mmm - when my carbs were dirty the engine had no problem revving - but couldn't run slowly... furthermore - the butterfly pivots were gummed up - so when you opened the throttle and closed it again - the throttles didn't actually close - so it just kept on revving - unless the engine was under load - in which case it just died....

On the other hand - in my case the engine was running fine last October - so I'd really shy away from adjusting carbs that were adjusted fine last time I used it.,.. why should they go out of adjustement lying in the garage for a few months ???
Old 28 March 2005, 22:56   #16

Point taken that I might be shying away from a possible cause looking for an easyfix, and I will try adjusting the mix as said, but symptoms do run along the lines of lc0021, where on using the fast idle lever on the 703, where after picking up the revs, she doesnt always return back to a normal idling speed, where I spose it would seem the Carbs are not moving freely, spose this could also be unrelated and down to slack in the control cable or connectors..will check.

Anyhow, will have a go with your advice, and report back later.

Thanks Again !!
Tom.
Old 28 March 2005, 23:03   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by lc0021
.... so I'd really shy away from adjusting carbs that were adjusted fine last time I used it.,.. why should they go out of adjustement lying in the garage for a few months ???
Well they won't but there's no saying they were adjusted properly so, since we're distance mechanicing, the solution is to get the engine running correctly. If opening up the mixture screw does it that'll be fine and TommyFitch will have gained the confidence to make the adjustment. If, after a while, the fuel flowing through it cleans out the passageways and it becomes rich rough, he'll have the confidence to set about it again and Tommy will become a mixture adjusting expert. Job done.

I won't ask you how your engine came to be so gummed up after just a few months storage especialy since your profile says you are an engineer, cos that wouldn't be nice.
Old 29 March 2005, 06:34   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker
I won't ask you how your engine came to be so gummed up after just a few months storage especialy since your profile says you are an engineer, cos that wouldn't be nice.
You can ask - I'm thick skinned so I wont take it personally..... I just stopped using it in October and didnt drain the carbs or spray the engine.... mainly because I didn't plan on that day being the last day of the year.... It was really the throttle pivots which gummed up, so they wouldn't close freely... but it's hard to believe they gummed up so quickly... strange but true...

And now a small hint... just because my profile says Engineer - dont assume that it means " GOOD Engineer..." ;-) - more important to remember this when dealing with Doctors, Accountants, Lawyers and policemen....
Old 29 March 2005, 10:36   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by lc0021
And now a small hint... just because my profile says Engineer - dont assume that it means " GOOD Engineer..." ;-) - more important to remember this when dealing with Doctors, Accountants, Lawyers and policemen....

I was just winding you up. You took it well. Cool.
Old 31 March 2005, 21:59   #20

Just a quicky, to say thanks to this Forum, my Yam 30 is back and running sweetly..

JW was rite, opened up the fuel mix 1/4 turn helped keep her running..and I put a gd helping of Carb Cleaner thro it, runs smoothly and idles happily around 900 to 1000..

Thank You to all who offered help, and it just shows how useful this forum is !!

Regards to All

Tom.