Town: Bursledon
Boat name: Mustard
Make: Ribeye 785
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha 200/Merc 6
MMSI: 235068693
Yam 200 two stroke, 2002. Tilt issue

Hi,

I have an issue with the power tilt on the above engine.

I think the fluid level is low because the when the pump runs the noise suggest there is air passing through.

Questions:

1) How do I check the level

2) What oil do I use.

3) Anyone got a manual?

Thanks.
Old 17 May 2010, 16:41   #2

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
I would suspect that the tilt/trim portion would be similar for most of the larger Yam engines.

As I recall (and this was just from perusing the shop manual, so I wouldn't swear by it), the level is determined in much the same way as the LU fluid is: i.e. you fill to the filler plug level. The system is supposed to self-purging; with a few up/down cycles, the air gets moved to wherever it is that doesn't bother operation (though on my F115, it took quite a while - a few weeks - to get the weird graunchy sounds to stop. Didn't really affect operation, just sounded weird.)

If you have no leaks, I'd see no reason suspect a low level rather than first suspecting air where it shouldn't be. See below on purging and filling, though.

The cylinder uses gneral hydraulic fluid, as I recall. If you don't get confirmation, I'll try and look it up later. From what I've seen, Dextron II Automatic Transmission Fluid is a viable alternative.

Here's a post on your problem form another forum:
http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-...-trim-sim.html

jky
Old 18 May 2010, 10:48   #3

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
I'll echo what jky says, although if you have a really diddy small leak that only happens at "full down" there's a small chance the leaked fluid could be getting washed away before you notice it. Other possibility is that really small amounts of fluid carried through the ram seals look just like a shiny ram........

Not knowing what fluid is in there to start with, it may be that it's loosing it's "anti foam" properties through ageing, and a simple drain down & refill with fresh fluid may be all that's required.