Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 05 July 2010, 06:23   #1
Member
 
blueboy758's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Thornaby
Boat name: Storm
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 150
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 335
XD 50 Evinrude oil.

i am now the proud owner of an evinrude Ficht, and i know after all the reviews i still went ahead, it's mint and was bought from a dealer.

but my question is, How expencive is the XD 50 oil !!!!!!! does anyone know where i can get it from cheaper?!?!

thanks Phil
__________________

__________________
blueboy758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 July 2010, 06:47   #2
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,688
I thought XD50 was just a TCW3?

On the Etec I was under the impression that you had the engine set at PDI to run either XD100 (which is bloody expensive) or TCW3/XD50 in which case you could run either XD50 or any other TCW3 oil which would imply they are the same?

If I have misunderstood I need to order some fairly urgently!
__________________

__________________
A Boat is a hole in the water, surrounded by fibreglass, into which you throw money...

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 July 2010, 06:57   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Thunder
Make: Halmatic Arctic 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2 x 150 Etec
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 500
Advice I was given was to leave it on the XD50 setting but use xd100 which gives the engine a bit more protection. If you have the setting changed to XD100 the engine uses less oil but you have to use the xd100 oil.

To be honest the things use so little oil that I am happy playing it safe.

In terms of buying it the cheapest place i could get it was from John Price at www.ribstuff.com.
__________________
GordyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 July 2010, 06:58   #4
Member
 
Hightower's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 7,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
I thought XD50 was just a TCW3?

On the Etec I was under the impression that you had the engine set at PDI to run either XD100 (which is bloody expensive) or TCW3/XD50 in which case you could run either XD50 or any other TCW3 oil which would imply they are the same?

If I have misunderstood I need to order some fairly urgently!
I wouldn't run my Evinrude on anything other that the correct XD Oil, it's expensive but so is a blown engine. TCW3 would be good for an emergency but nothing else IMHO.

As for you Stephen, you'll have to run with the Genuine Evinrude stuff otherwise you risk voiding your warranty.
__________________
Andy

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 July 2010, 07:00   #5
Member
 
Hightower's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 7,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueboy758 View Post
i am now the proud owner of an evinrude Ficht, and i know after all the reviews i still went ahead, it's mint and was bought from a dealer.

but my question is, How expencive is the XD 50 oil !!!!!!! does anyone know where i can get it from cheaper?!?!

thanks Phil
Gordy beat me to it, I was going to say RIBstuff too. However with shipping costs it might well end up more expensive than a local outlet.
__________________
Andy

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 July 2010, 07:58   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
As for you Stephen, you'll have to run with the Genuine Evinrude stuff otherwise you risk voiding your warranty.
Yes, you wouldn't want that, living in the Falkland Islands with no dealer for 1000s of miles
__________________
Downhilldai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 July 2010, 08:23   #7
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,928
RIBase
Evinrude's PC software for DIs and Etecs gives the option to set the Etecs to run on TCW3, so they can't be too worried...

I'd run the FICHT on TCW3, the gearbox will probably fail before the powerhead anyway

Cheapish XD50 here as mentioned at Ribstuff (note it's 2.5 US gallons)

As regards running an Etec on XD100, when set for XD50, I've inadvertently done it and wouldn't be repeating the experience. The side running on XD50 settings ran smokey at startup and low revs and used almost twice as much oil as the other motor, reducing my fill cycle from about 450Nm to about 250Nm.
__________________
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 July 2010, 08:46   #8
Member
 
Hightower's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 7,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Yes, you wouldn't want that, living in the Falkland Islands with no dealer for 1000s of miles
Well that's even more reson for using the genuing stuff then
__________________
Andy

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 July 2010, 17:53   #9
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
I wouldn't run my Evinrude on anything other that the correct XD Oil, it's expensive but so is a blown engine. TCW3 would be good for an emergency but nothing else IMHO.

As for you Stephen, you'll have to run with the Genuine Evinrude stuff otherwise you risk voiding your warranty.
I had formed the impression from Roy that a lot of people used TCW3 with no problems, but I'll check it out!

In fact if the engine is PDIed and fitted at a dealer (which it is) and given they say no dealer maintenance in the first 300hrs / 3 years, if it sh^ts itself completely any time in the first three years I should be able to take it off and send it back ... whereas if I'd chosen a four stroke the warranty would have been void as soon as the first 20 hr (or whatever) service hadn't been done.
__________________
A Boat is a hole in the water, surrounded by fibreglass, into which you throw money...

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 July 2010, 18:33   #10
Member
 
Hightower's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 7,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
I had formed the impression from Roy that a lot of people used TCW3 with no problems, but I'll check it out!

In fact if the engine is PDIed and fitted at a dealer (which it is) and given they say no dealer maintenance in the first 300hrs / 3 years, if it sh^ts itself completely any time in the first three years I should be able to take it off and send it back ... whereas if I'd chosen a four stroke the warranty would have been void as soon as the first 20 hr (or whatever) service hadn't been done.
Sounds like you have your finger on the pulse
__________________

__________________
Andy

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:02.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.