Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
Would you pay for this?

My 135 Optimax went in the shop for a faul finding session the other day.

Basically the engine would turn over but never fire. Almost like it was getting fuel.

I've checked the tank for kinks in the hose and air locks and it works fine. The fuel in the water seperator looks fine as does the stuff in the hoses. No loose connectors or the like.

So a bit stuck I took the boat to my local Mariner dealer and they spent 3 hours looking over the problem which they eventually diagnosed as a loose cable. I asked them to give it a good check and run on the muffs for a fair old time. He said he did this and he ran it up on the muffs when I went to collect it. It started first time and ran for less than a min.

I've just tried it this afternoon and less than 100 yards from the end of the slipway the same problem happened again. I've now changed the pugs which did cure it for a 40 sec run, before spluttering and dying.

I don't think it has been plugged into the diagnostic software either!

So
a) does anyone have any ideas on the fault
b) would you pay for an subsequent fault finding on the same fault after failing to find it and then not testing it despite the customers requests.

Chris
Old 16 July 2006, 14:21   #2

Town: Cowes, Isle of Wight
Boat name: TiLT 2
Make: Avon Adventure 620
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 135
MMSI: 235032203
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJL
I asked them to give it a good check and run on the muffs for a fair old time. He said he did this and he ran it up on the muffs when I went to collect it.
What are 'muffs'?
Old 16 July 2006, 14:32   #3

Town: Torquay
Make: Bayliner
Engine: I/B 3L
Flush Muffs for running it of a hose. They fit over the water intake so you can run the engine out of the water

Also used for flushing out the seawater
Old 16 July 2006, 14:45   #4
CJL

RIBase
Nobody got any ideas then?
Old 16 July 2006, 15:15   #5

Town: boston
Boat name: Miss bad 61
Make: Crapko, AKA Mako
Engine: OMC Mod50
i'm for B, bring it to someone who wants to fix it,could be did not show on the muffs, muffs aren't for revin up, some outboards will over heat on muffs
with out any revin.

what them plugs look like, the new ones when you pull them back out?
were thay washed with gas?
Old 16 July 2006, 15:26   #6
CJL

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast fred
i'm for B, bring it to someone who wants to fix it,could be did not show on the muffs, muffs aren't for revin up, some outboards will over heat on muffs
with out any revin.

what them plugs look like, the new ones when you pull them back out?
were thay washed with gas?
The old plugs were a mixed bag really. Most had a bit of soot and two of them had a bit of oil on them.

I've checked the fuel from tank to water seperator, to bulb, to diaphram pump, to electric pump and its all OK. I can't follow the fuel any further as the lines go into the fuel filter and the big steel vessel, (vapour thingy!)

I've not checked the diaphram pump itself though.

Chris
Old 17 July 2006, 10:30   #7

Town: boston
Boat name: Miss bad 61
Make: Crapko, AKA Mako
Engine: OMC Mod50
dose sound like the pump, should be a fuel rail with a blead valve on it,
you want to test rail psi thare, seen them pump fail, but not many.
Old 17 July 2006, 11:01   #8

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
No I wouldnt pay for it. Had the same prob a couple of years ago. Bloke said he would fix it in 2 days, two weeks later he hadn't! Picked boat up and he tried to charge me for 14 days storage, the reply involved some 4 leter words!
Turned out ot be a dodgy wire which I fixed myself.
Yours does sound like fuel tho'. Run it in a tank if you can, much better for diagnosis than muffs. Where abouts is your boat based?
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2006, 12:39   #9
CJL

RIBase
Right just to clarify;

The engine went in for repairs, it was returned to me fixed as a loose electrical connection had been found. (In addition a worn hose was fettled and I'm waiting on a replacement part now)

On Sunday it broke down with the same fault I had previously experienced initially. It went back into the Mariner Dealer on Tuesday. The mechanic wasn't particularly interested in hearing what I had done to fault find and said he would fix it.

I rang Tuesday lunchtime to see how much progress had been made and they hadn't started it yet. This morning they are supposed to have taken it for a test on the River but I've still not heard from them.

Would you pay for the additional work, refuse point blank or come to a compromise?

Regards

Chris
Old 19 July 2006, 12:47   #10

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
this is the age old problem of do you pay someone who knows what they are doing 1 hours work to fix something or someone else who does not have all the right equipment and not really knowing what they are doing 4 hours to trial and error a fix.

i would be looking for a compromise for sure, and that would be close to not paying for very much time over and above the work they previously did to supposedly fix the problem.

check with lee fairweather who did seariders for him with a very similar fault, give them the symptoms over the phone and they may be able to give an indication of possible causes etc

never hurts to get a few views on this type of thing
Old 19 July 2006, 13:28   #11

Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jardon
check with lee fairweather who did seariders for him with a very similar fault, give them the symptoms over the phone and they may be able to give an indication of possible causes etc

never hurts to get a few views on this type of thing
Chris - be very careful advising that it is possible to diagnose an optimax fault over the phone - it almost always isn't in my experience.

Regarding running up on the muffs - this didn't highlight my problem. The engine needed to be run under load. This can be done either running free or on the trailer in gear half way down the slip.
Old 19 July 2006, 13:35   #12
CJL

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searider
Chris - be very careful advising that it is possible to diagnose an optimax fault over the phone - it almost always isn't in my experience.

Regarding running up on the muffs - this didn't highlight my problem. The engine needed to be run under load. This can be done either running free or on the trailer in gear half way down the slip.
Thanks for the info.

I have spoken to Mark at Fairweather Marine and I've got some more things to suggest to my "not quite as good dealer!"

If it isn't fixed at my place I'll take it to Mark, I certainly will be doing from now on anyway!

Chris
Old 19 July 2006, 13:38   #13

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
Quote:

i think i said....."give them the symptoms over the phone and they may be able to give an indication of possible causes etc"

i was speaking with CJL this morning and said it might be worth giving fairweather a call and explaining the symptoms hi engine has and they may be able to come up with some possible causes that could be suggested to the local dealer trying to repair it, who incidentially does not have the diagnostic equipment for this particular engine apparently.

does that help?
Old 19 July 2006, 15:09   #14

Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Fairweathers
Recommended!
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2006, 15:37   #15

Town: Lee on the Solent
Boat name: Saintlee
Make: Leeway
Engine: Evinrude DI 115
Absolutely. Lee and Mark are both top guys and get a big tick in the box from most of my outboard mates.

Just up the road (literally!) as well which is always handy
Old 19 July 2006, 16:02   #16

Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jardon
i think i said....."give them the symptoms over the phone and they may be able to give an indication of possible causes etc"

i was speaking with CJL this morning and said it might be worth giving fairweather a call and explaining the symptoms hi engine has and they may be able to come up with some possible causes that could be suggested to the local dealer trying to repair it, who incidentially does not have the diagnostic equipment for this particular engine apparently.

does that help?
Fair enough - however he's wasting his time, and money, going to a dealer who does not have the diagnostics gear.
Old 20 July 2006, 09:13   #17
CJL

RIBase
Quote:
Fair enough - however he's wasting his time, and money, going to a dealer who does not have the diagnostics gear.
Tell me about it. This dealer has failed to tell me that they don't have the diagnostic gear when I took it in. At the moment the mechanic dodges the question about what the diagnostic gear is telling him. I'm furious.

If they think I'm paying for all these hours labour they will think they have another thing comming.

Surely they should not have accepted my engine if they don't have the correct gear?
Old 20 July 2006, 09:33   #18
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Sadly it's not what people should accept these days more a case of 'can we get away with it?'

If they'd fixed it without the diagnostic gear you'd have been none the wiser...

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote