Old 17 December 2013, 03:49   #11
Length: no boat
Originally Posted by Searider View Post
Generally the cot of replacing the electrics on an engine of that size will write it off.
I think this issue is quite important and bear in mind the engine is 10 yrs old anyway. Like car electronics etc quite a lot has moved on since 2003 - you only have to look at the Sat Nav / Radio in my car of the same year to see the point.! I had a Suzuki fall off the back of a small rib I was towing in rough weather at night. It stayed with the rib amazingly - hanging off fuel lines and controls. Managed to recover it after a few hours when the weather eased. Finally got it to land after about 24 hrs and was able to dunk it properly. It ran ok considering but after about 6 months corrosion / problems began. God intervened as someone then stole the whole rig - only insurance claim in 10 yrs. I do feel I was saved a whole lot of bother in the long run. It will be a risk taking on this engine. However if you are a good engineer and the right remedial work was done in the first place it would be worth it.

indaba1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2013, 09:49   #12
Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider Boats
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 18 /30 HP
From experience, have a client that offers towing services for surfers, takes them to the point back again to catch a new wave. Driver sometimes flips entire rib/engine and says nothing to owner.

Although engine is rinsed with fresh water near inmediately after and engine springs back again to life, in the short run engine ends being seized because that's salt water and has lots of sand in suspension that gets to cranckase interior and mixes with all rotating parts which are oiled.

What you should do inmediately after is wash all engine parts with fresh water, tear appart cranckase and wash all rotaing parts immaculate clean to be on the safe side, re assemble back power head, change plugs and that's it. Now imagine all the sand that could enter engine just by lying on a sand bed for 1 hour....

Happy Boating

Locozodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2013, 11:45   #13
Engine (bare) sold for 1,060.

Too much for me

Sent from my HTC One X using

j.i.wilson is offline   Reply With Quote