Click Here to Login

Old 21 November 2011, 08:44   #1

Town: EXETER
Boat name: Scorpion
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 90HP 4stroke
Winterisation - is it necessary?

Hi, I'm new to this malarky so please excuse my ignorance. I recently boat my first Rib, an Avon 5.6D, it has a Mercury 90 ELPT (2004). The boat is undercover for the winter in a sheltered but open fronted barn with the engine wrapped in an old Duvet! I intend to use it given an opportunity and intend to be running the engine up at least once a month just to 'flush it through' and to keep the battery good. The boat has a fixed on-board fuel tank which is less than a quarter full and it is vented.
Given the above conditions would it still need to be winterised? Fuel additive and fogging oil etc.

Thanks in advance for more experienced 'boaters' opinions and advice
Old 21 November 2011, 09:04   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Yes, no, maybe!

Yes - if it turns out to be a cold winter like last year, then I wouldn't be happy with my outboard sitting for a month in an open fronted barn without having winterised. If it will be used more often, or its a mild winter it might not matter so much. There has been a few threads previously on using regularly v's winterising.

No - I personally wouldn't bother adding fuel stabiliser especially if you are going to run it monthly. As much fresh fuel in there as you can get before going to sea, should deal with any "stale" fuel. But worth checking for signs of condensation in the fuel.

Maybe - Its not a big issue to "put it to bed" in winter everytime as though you aren't going to use it again for 2-3 months, then you can sleep easy knowing its nicely protected.
Old 21 November 2011, 09:04   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Yes, no, maybe!

Yes - if it turns out to be a cold winter like last year, then I wouldn't be happy with my outboard sitting for a month in an open fronted barn without having winterised. If it will be used more often, or its a mild winter it might not matter so much. There has been a few threads previously on using regularly v's winterising.

No - I personally wouldn't bother adding fuel stabiliser especially if you are going to run it monthly. As much fresh fuel in there as you can get before going to sea, should deal with any "stale" fuel. But worth checking for signs of condensation in the fuel.

Maybe - Its not a big issue to "put it to bed" in winter everytime as though you aren't going to use it again for 2-3 months, then you can sleep easy knowing its nicely protected.
Old 21 November 2011, 09:14   #4

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahoo! View Post
Hi, I'm new to this malarky so please excuse my ignorance. I recently boat my first Rib, an Avon 5.6D, it has a Mercury 90 ELPT (2004). The boat is undercover for the winter in a sheltered but open fronted barn with the engine wrapped in an old Duvet! I intend to use it given an opportunity and intend to be running the engine up at least once a month just to 'flush it through' and to keep the battery good. The boat has a fixed on-board fuel tank which is less than a quarter full and it is vented.
Given the above conditions would it still need to be winterised? Fuel additive and fogging oil etc.

Thanks in advance for more experienced 'boaters' opinions and advice
As a minimum I'd brim fill the tank to stop it breathing & getting condensation in there. Personally I add BRP fuel conditioner, run it through, fill the tanks & winterise. Maybe over the top, but I've never had any problems come Spring. Saying that, winterising Etecs is a doddle.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2011, 09:32   #5

Town: EXETER
Boat name: Scorpion
Make: Avon
Engine: Mercury 90HP 4stroke
Thanks guys, the main problem I have at present is a severe shortage of cash! I was laid off 10 weeks ago and skint. Don't want to damage my engine but I guess I am trying to get justification for not winterising and peace of mind!
Old 21 November 2011, 11:18   #6

Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
There is another solution

Sell it to me no winterisation costs and some cash in your back pocket. Everyone's a winner

Peter ~ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 21 November 2011, 11:43   #7

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Winterising is no bad idea, but most problems as a result of not winterising can be fairly readily put right afterwards. The only thing that can't easily is a cracked block due to water being left in the system and freezing weather. If nothing else, I would suggest you do all you can to drain any cooling water out of the passages or flush it through with an antifreeze mix.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2011, 12:06   #8

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
If you are not going to use it then definitley winterise it, I damaged a fuel rail and injectors by not doing so last year.

If you are going to run it once a month then don't winterize but make sure you DO run it.....

This year I am gong to run mine every fortnight.....
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote