Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedajim View Post
So why do people hide them in the console or under the seat
Mines in the console, but right next to the primer bulb so you can't help but see it every cold start.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 February 2011, 17:23   #22

Town: Kildonan, Arran
Boat name: Cowal (& Bennan)
Make: Quinquari Humber/RC
Engine: Suzuki DF150/DF175x2
MMSI: 235036953
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
The bowl had become somewhat opaque, so it was impossible to see what was inside, and the canister itself was corroded onto the mounting bracket. It was packed solid with a reddish-brown (read: rust) fine silt; looked like a lump of jeweler's rouge for a buffing wheel (but smelled like gas, so you probably wouldn't want to use it for that.)
jky
You can get this from using ex-mil jerricans that have the red gunk painted on the inside. Most unpleasant, but demonstrates the value of filters (although it has been found in the last filter before the injectors as well) http://rib.net/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif

Don't ask how I know this
Old 09 February 2011, 19:38   #23

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard
I was informed by a dealer that you should not fit a seperate fuel/water filter to Verado engines?? Any truth in that
I know the engine has at least two filters and when we picked up the rusty fuel last year the first filter did a very good job, before finally becoming completely clogged up.
Steve
Old 10 February 2011, 07:56   #24

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by alt View Post
I've been lucky with my diesel cruiser too - not a drop in the bowl. However, the diesel from the fuel truck goes through 2 (of my own) filters before getting into the boat tank. Prevention is definately better than cure!
Plus it is a hell of a lot more relaxing changing blocked up filters on the shore than bobbing around in the sea with no engine

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2011, 09:02   #25

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250kts View Post
I was informed by a dealer that you should not fit a seperate fuel/water filter to Verado engines?? Any truth in that

Steve
No idea, but would it have anything to do with introducing too much 'back pressure' that will stress the fuel pump?
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2011, 11:45   #26

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
I was informed by a dealer that you should not fit a seperate fuel/water filter to Verado engines??
It could be on account of their enormous thirst
Old 10 February 2011, 15:34   #27

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
From the Verado Owner's Club "Things the Dealer Didn't Tell You" post:

• If you want to put on Racor type fuel water separators, please make sure you install
them correctly and don’t create a drag on the system. Merc has said in the past they do
not like them, only because some are installed wrong. You will run the risk of voiding the
warranty on the engine if the Racor creates a drag on the system. Just install them
correctly and make sure your fuel system can create the proper vacuum for the line. You
can find the proper “after mounting” vacuum settings for various elevations in the shop
manual. Install at your own risk.

jky
Old 10 February 2011, 19:59   #28

Town: west wales
Make: humber destroyer 5m
Engine: 90 yamaha
We fit a honda fuel separator (sic) filter assembly, made by racor, on the inside of the transom where you can see it, it has a clear plastic bowl below the filter which is easily visually checked and can be drained of water easily.
no problems in four seasons on three boats,often fueled by numpties. (Not you Ed !!)
biggest problem we ever had was when someone decided to store 25 litres of water in a petrol can in the fuel store and yours truly topped off all the tanks with it
.......doh. hence the racors!
Old 11 February 2011, 07:51   #29

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosun View Post
We fit a honda fuel separator (sic) filter assembly, made by racor, on the inside of the transom where you can see it, it has a clear plastic bowl below the filter which is easily visually checked and can be drained of water easily.
no problems in four seasons on three boats,often fueled by numpties. (Not you Ed !!)
biggest problem we ever had was when someone decided to store 25 litres of water in a petrol can in the fuel store and yours truly topped off all the tanks with it
.......doh. hence the racors!
When I picked up my new RIBcraft, I asked for the fuel filter to be mounted on the transom (so I could keep an eye on it). I was met with a confused 'oh we don't do that'. It's now in the console. I'm sure this is for aesthetic reasons, but it defeats the pupose. I should have stuck to my guns.
Old 11 February 2011, 11:40   #30

Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
RIBase
Will in line canister filters remove water? I have a metal filter which looks like a large oil filter for a car engine. will this type of filter remove water?

TSM
Old 11 February 2011, 12:39   #31

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by two stroke mick View Post
Will in line canister filters remove water? I have a metal filter which looks like a large oil filter for a car engine. will this type of filter remove water?

TSM
Yes. The glass-bowl versions are better as they allow you to see the sediment/water which hopefully prompts you change it. You can empty contents and top up with fresh fuel. Needs to be cleaned/changed at least annually.
Old 11 February 2011, 15:35   #32

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by two stroke mick View Post

TSM
Suppose it depends on the actual filter element, but many water separators are solid metal canisters. The stock Yamaha one is an example:
http://www.simyamaha.com/Yamaha_Fuel...uelf-il-tr.htm

jky