Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 21 July 2011, 08:17   #41

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
As well as the 4-stroke weight it's the potential initial depreciation of this new gear if for any reason it wasn't exactly what you wanted/expected when on the water. Max mentions this elsewhere and he's spot on.

This setup you're planning is going to be around £4k by the time a few small extras are included. A smart used outfit with similar size boat and 2-stroke outboard can be had for half that or less. Get a used setup with a really clean 15hp 2-stroke outboard and even if the boat isn't right you can swap that out at little/zero cost for another inflatable but keep the outboard.

Just my thoughts.
Old 23 July 2011, 11:24   #42

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven9586 View Post
OK Martini how do you find the right people?

Arnt 2 strokes a lot noisier?
Nope!

Quote:
NOS4R2

Correct me if i'm wrong.

Steven
It's my pleasure......You're wrong

On small engines, 2 stroke beats 4 stroke every time on torque & power to weight.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2011, 13:12   #43

Town: Newcastle upon Tyne
Make: Zodiac Fastroller
Engine: 15hp Mercury 2 strk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
As well as the 4-stroke weight it's the potential initial depreciation of this new gear if for any reason it wasn't exactly what you wanted/expected when on the water. Max mentions this elsewhere and he's spot on.

This setup you're planning is going to be around £4k by the time a few small extras are included. A smart used outfit with similar size boat and 2-stroke outboard can be had for half that or less. Get a used setup with a really clean 15hp 2-stroke outboard and even if the boat isn't right you can swap that out at little/zero cost for another inflatable but keep the outboard.

Just my thoughts.
I can get a brand new Zodiac fastroller 360 activ-v and brand new Mariner 15hp 4 stroke for £3375. A decent second hand 2005 Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke was on boatsandoutboards for sale for £1900. Wheres the logic? The Mariner 15hp 4 stroke is £1995 with 5 year warranty, the Yam is 6 years old!!!!
Went to look at a Quicksilver SIB and Mariner 15hp 2 stroke, both year 2000, tatty as hell and the guy wanted £1900, so where are these bargains you mention.

Steven
Old 23 July 2011, 13:21   #44

RIBase
Quote:
I can get a brand new Zodiac fastroller 360 activ-v and brand new Mariner 15hp 4 stroke for £3375. A decent second hand 2005 Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke was on boatsandoutboards for sale for £1900. Wheres the logic? The Mariner 15hp 4 stroke is £1995 with 5 year warranty, the Yam is 6 years old!!!!
Went to look at a Quicksilver SIB and Mariner 15hp 2 stroke, both year 2000, tatty as hell and the guy wanted £1900, so where are these bargains you mention.

Steven
Steven, you asked for advice & got it in spades. At the end of the day it's your money & your choice. If that's the setup you want, go for it, but don't let the money burn a hole in your pocket. You seem set on going down the 4st route, so be it, but don't say you weren't warned
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 23 July 2011, 13:23   #45

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Why do people ask a question and totally ignore all the advice given by others that have been there/done and that almost 100% say a four stroke is the wrong choice!! Not to mention that many of us (most?) ended up selling the first boat we bought as it was not quite right.

The last two 5 year old mint Yamaha 15hp 2 strokes that sold on eBay went for around £1250 each (I linked them somewhere - check the other recent topics) - you can easily find a mint and complete 3.4m to 3.6m Fastroller for £600ish. It's your money but you must have a heck of a lot to throw away on depreciation and a potential poor combo of boat/engine.

http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/wetline...tml#post410113

Your topic:

http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/transom...tml#post410337
Old 23 July 2011, 13:29   #46

I would guarantee I could pick up a super condition outfit within a couple of weeks of looking for around half what you'll pay new.

However you have obviously decided you want to go for a new outfit and a 4-stroke motor so the time for forum questions is over... just buy and enjoy.

Post some pics when you get it on the water too... all helps to share the experiences.
Old 23 July 2011, 13:41   #47

NO No No, you have got me all wrong. Your advise has been invaluable and I would love a 2 stroke, only problem is, is that I live in Newcastle and most stuff is down south. I would need to see an engine in the flesh before I buy and thats a hell of a journey if its a dudd. The boat, yes I've decided on new as it's a nice light boat, but the outboard I'm in a dilema about, Just can't work out if a new one with warranty is better.

Also someone mentioned about some places don't allow 2 strokes to launch, any ideas?

So, I don't mean to upset anyone on this forum.

If any one has any knowledge of a good 2 stroke I'm all ears.

Regards

Steven
Old 23 July 2011, 13:55   #48

RIBase
Quote:
Also someone mentioned about some places don't allow 2 strokes to launch, any ideas?

So, I don't mean to upset anyone on this forum.

Steven
Non, taken. I'm from the heart of the Peoples Republic of South Yorkshire, we've got thicker skins than that
I personally haven't heard of places refusing to launch 2 strokes (I've got a pair on the back of mine & they are cleaner than many 4 strokes)
Bide your time & the right engine will surface, like I said, don't let the money burn a hole, or you'll finish up burning the money. Many folk on here would be happy to visit an engine & give you a honest (& knowledgeable) opinion on it's condition if it was close to their home patch. Listen to the advice & softly softly catchee monkee!
Old 23 July 2011, 14:21   #49

OK Steven if you're still open to ideas what about this being sold by a member here...

http://www.rib.net/forum/f21/quicksi...tml#post412049

As you mention being interested in towing a ringo and weight doesn't seem to be an issue to you this might be just the outfit. All new in 2006 and loads of images to judge the condition. Alloy floor might suit your fishing too.

It would keep over a grand in the kitty for a future upgrade etc.

Also John Bridger Marine are offering the following packages based on a new Honwave 3.8.

t40 alloy floor honda honwave boat with 25hp mariner 2 stroke £2250

t40 alloy floor honda honwave boat with 15hp tohatsu 2 stroke £2350

t38 air rib honda honwave boat with 25hp mariner 2 stroke £2250

t38 air rib honda honwave boat with 15hp tohatsu 2 stroke £2350

Honda - Honwave RIB for sale , Honwave t38 air rib dinghy-25hp mariner only £2250 - Boats And Outboards

Not saying any of these are the best deals out there but food for thought.
Old 23 July 2011, 14:45   #50

Here are two great first time outfits listed within the last few hours alone:

The Yam 360 with Yam 15 HP (Yam boats are made by Zodiac) could be a superb first boat and gets you a lovely Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke - it's also 'up north' - I will be watching this just for the engine itself.

The Wetline is not my choice but the classified price is only a starting point, I would want it for a lot less but there is everything there to get you started boating and sell on with no loss if needs be.

Rib Yam 360 Inflatable Boat 15HP Yamaha | eBay

INFLATABLE BOAT 3-5M AIRDECK 15HP OUTBOARD TRAILER RIB | eBay

Outfits like this come on eBay every single day - if you can't find them you're not looking hard enough!
Old 24 July 2011, 17:21   #51

Is this any good

Hi guys

Been looking on fleebay and was wondering if I could get your opinion on this outboard

Mercury 15hp Short Shaft Outboard Engine | eBay

Made an offer of £1100 but it was refused, what should I go upto. Also he has some lifters if you look at other items, any good???

If these items are a good deal, no trying to bid on them, there mine

Regards

Steven

Ps. hope the link works.
Old 24 July 2011, 17:40   #52

It *looks* very nice indeed and if it lives up to the history should be a good buy. If he refuses £1250 I'd be surprised (I would always offer this 'outside' eBay and pay cash - if it sells for BIN at £1375 and the buyer insists on Paypal then it will cost him over £100 in fees) £1250 seems to be a fair price for a well cared for 15HP 2 stroke.

Wait for a reply from David (Fenlander) - he bought a Mariner badged one of these recently IIRC?

See what this older Yam makes later - I got some close up pics off the seller under the hood and I would not bid having seen them...

YAMAHA 15 HP OUTBOARD SHORT SHAFT 2 STROKE on eBay (end time 24-Jul-11 20:01:52 BST)
Old 24 July 2011, 18:51   #53
Spammer

Town: Dorking
Boat name: Seaflite
Make: Plancraft
Engine: Mercury
Quote:
Hi guys

Going to buy a Zodiac cadet fastroller 360 activ-v SIB and I'm wondering which outboard to buy. Been looking at various engines all 15hp 4 stroke but I'm not sure what to buy with all the conflicting advice. The outboards are as follows

Mariner 15 (F-N-R on tiller)
Tohatsu 15 (Mmmmmm??)
Suzuki 15 (meant to be old design)
Yamaha 15 (expensive)
Honda 15 (heard poor reports)
Selva Wahoo15 ( Wahoo who???)

The prices are a vast difference so not sure what to go for. One dealer said the Mariner would be the one to get but another dealer said because the forward and reverse were on the tiller they did not recommend it as you turn it one way for forward and the other for reverse.

Any info would be much appreciated

Also if any dealers are interested in working out a deal for both I'm open to offers as I have not bought either yet.

Regards

Steven
All ways recommend Mercury / Mariners, good value and 5 year warranty!